walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A wee hours training on Dumyat

A wee hours training on Dumyat

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:31 pm

Route description: Dumyat by the hill path

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Dumyat

Date walked: 15/01/2012

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 6.54 km

Ascent: 329m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After yesterdays leisurely walk into the summit of Carn a'Mhaim from the Linn of Dee in the Cairngorms I wanted a cardio workout; some serious training to do for the big attempt on the Mullardoch Round which myself and a couple of friends are going to attempt to walk in a day raising some dough for the John Muir Trust. Fair to say I could use carrying a few less pounds for that monster...

Dumyat is my local hill; dog walking territory, and my back garden from my home in Bridge of Allan. In all the times I've been up there, I've never taken Satmap, but today was a change; I wanted to know the stats, for future reference over the next few months as much as anything...

I didn't stop on this walk; save to very quickly take some snaps with the iPhone at each of the tops, and I pushed it fairly hard, so I was done in just a whisper over the hour for the 6.5km...

2012 - 01 - 15 - Dumyat1.jpg
The view toward Stirling from the top of Dumyat...

2012 - 01 - 15 - Dumyat2.jpg
A panorama of Dumyat from Castle Law

2012 - 01 - 15 - Dumyat3.jpg
The view to Dumyat from Castle Law...

2012 - 01 - 15 - Dumyat.jpg
The Stats...

2012 - 01 - 15 - Dumyat.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: A wee hours training on Dumyat

Postby monty » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:09 pm

Good effort Andrew. When are you doing the monster round?
monty

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:24 pm

monty wrote:Good effort Andrew. When are you doing the monster round?

We've set aside a window of May 26 - June 10 - first spot of good weather and we'll be off...

Since it's you; the one and only Monty who I know can do it; and my favourite Grandad; you'd be more than welcome to join us if you wish... All in the name of John Muir of course? Some pay back for the enjoyment I've had from the hills... And besides by my count you left 8 of the 12 unclaimed last year? :D

PS: We're in Skye May 12-19 - got a guide for that one - still space for one more?? I think we're up to 11 at my last count... :?
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Postby 2dalmatians » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:27 am

Andrew,thats a pretty good time for dumyat (hill runners excluded!). I am usually around 75mins. I walk Dumyat quite frequently and replaced my gym work out at Stirling uni on saturday mornings with this when my daughter goes horseriding at Drumbrae. Another great cardio for you which is very close by is the Law (part of the Ben Cleuch route). It is pretty much straight up all the way!!!
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby allansmitchell » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:52 am

How did you get the satmap stats picture? Would be good to be able to download this for my records of walks
Cheers

Allan
allansmitchell
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Postby andrewdoggett » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:43 pm

allansmitchell wrote:How did you get the satmap stats picture? Would be good to be able to download this for my records of walks
Cheers

Allan

Press and hold the backlight button (top right) for about 2-3 seconds and you'll have a timestamped JPG to download...

Another Member passed me this tip on an earlier report, so best credit the guru... :D
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:32 pm

That'll be some walk Andy doing the Mullardoch round in a day. Think it might be your hardest day on the hills yet :D Good luck with it
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby andrewdoggett » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:22 am

Johnny Corbett wrote:That'll be some walk Andy doing the Mullardoch round in a day. Think it might be your hardest day on the hills yet :D Good luck with it

Comes in @ 56 km and 16,500 feet of ascent (5km) - ouch - some walk indeed - and by far the hardest day I will have done... Wonder if Grandad will keep up... :?
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Postby mamoset » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:31 am

Comes in @ 56 km and 16,500 feet of ascent (5km) - ouch - some walk indeed - and by far the hardest day I will have done... Wonder if Grandad will keep up... :?[/quote]

Hmm, i've searched Long Distance Routes and it doesn't mention the Mullardoch round, so at the risk of looking stupid, can you give me a brief description of this mighty walk please??

Chris
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby andrewdoggett » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:42 am

mamoset wrote:Hmm, i've searched Long Distance Routes and it doesn't mention the Mullardoch round, so at the risk of looking stupid, can you give me a brief description of this mighty walk please??

Chris

Here you go Chris... :D

Mullardoch.JPG
The Mullardoch Round...

Don't think Paul and Helen would advertise this one on here as a route per say, but here's a great report from mgmt that covers the route with an overrnight camp...

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11619
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Postby mamoset » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:08 am

Thanks Andrew, that really is a mammoth walk. hope you get similar weather to mountain thyme and friends ( minus the wind :lol: ) good luck :thumbup:

Chris
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby mrssanta » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:57 pm

I've got plans to do that route sometime, but was thinking to allow four days!! and hope to do it in 3
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:03 pm

That's a hell of a time over 6.5km Andrew :shock: good luck with the 'Monster in May' if anyone can do it you can :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland