walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Final Score - Colla 2 Buachaille 0 (2-1 Agg)

Final Score - Colla 2 Buachaille 0 (2-1 Agg)

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:57 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 15/01/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 12 km

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There is always the second leg...... and a fine result was had by Colla agus an Cú today on the Buachaille Éite Mor :lol:

I had been down in Braigh nan Albann on Saturday at Meall Glas and Sgiath Chuil but the forecast did' nt materialise and a combination of heavy mist and a companion who is a wee bit slower. allied to a wee North bearing when i should have gone East :shock: meant 8 hrs in the field with only Meall Glas done ,we bailed at 605m in the bealach due to the visibility :shock:

Ach uill tha sin beatha .... thats life

It was a grand forecast for Gleann Comhann on Sunday so i decided to undertake the second leg with Buachaille Éite Mor after her 1-0 first leg win :D

Im only 45mins from Gleann Comhann if i get the ferry on time but on Sunday her first shift is at 8.30am so i did nt reach the Buachaille till 8.45 am :lol: ...... madainn breagha !

Bidean nam Bian anns a mhadainn bho Clo Mhuillin.JPG
Bidean nam Beann bho Clo Mhuillin

My reckoning was to use the bealach at Gleann Gartain to access Stob na Bróige first be easier for an cú and it was a good choice .

The path up was good with little snow however the black ice on the rocks was hellish and required a lot of care and avoidance so watch out for that if you venture up Coire Allt Ruim.The "sgalaich" or shade was in the Coire so i did nt make any pictures as it was a bit dull.......however as we aproached the bealach the sun was shining

Stob Coire Alt Ruim.JPG
Stob Coire Alt Ruim

The bealach had patchy snow and was icy on the slopes so the crampons were doned although i reckon careful sreps and an axe would have been enough ,after last time i wanted to protect my nose so belt n braces :lol:

Stob na Bróige air a Buachaille.JPG
Stob na bróige air a Buachaille (2)

Sgothan.JPG
Sgothan

We made good progress onto Stob Coire Alt Rium and an Cú was happy enough using the rocky areas to keep his paws firmly gripping :lol:

An Cú agus hardy.JPG
An Cú agus hardy

Bha an -side breagha agus a dh'aighearr bha sinn air an druim .....we were quickly on the druim with glorious sunshine a nice wee breeze and grand visiblity

Stob na Bróige air a Buachaille.JPG
Stob na Bróige

The sneachd was firm and icy so a wee bit care required however the air quality and seallaidh were outstanding !

Aig an Srón Stob na Bróige.JPG
Air an Srón

DSCF3986.JPG
Bidean nam Bian

DSCF3987.JPG
Am Bheinn Neibhis

DSCF3989.JPG
Stob na Doire is Stob Dearg

A'Sleamhag.JPG
A 'Sleamhag

We had a break on the cárn aig Stob a Bróige then headed back along the druim to Stob na Doire this was a pleasure indeed although a bit of care is required she is a dangerous hill the Buachaille and requires respect.

Back at the bealach i ditched the crampons and used the sticks which proved a good move although by the time i reached the mullach of Stob an Doire there was good snow traverses on her North face ... i bummed down with the ice axe as a brake got queer looks of an outdoor skills party who were regimentally climbinmg up in crampons 8) but really i was in control however it looked :D

The walk along the druim to the Stob Dearg was hard going but again the weather made up for the sore knees and feet

Am feasgar air a buachaille.JPG
Am feasgar air a buachaille

Stacan air an Buachaille ..the road up.JPG
Stacan air an Buachaille ..the road up

An Mam Mór.JPG
An Mam Mór

Sgothan ós ceann Creise.JPG
Sgothan air Creise

Ealltainn agus Pléana.JPG
Ealltainn agus Pléana

We reached the Stob Dearg without incident its a slog though and i was glad to summit and have a bite to eat :) its a stunning spot and i could not have had a better day for it

Stob Dearg air an sron Buachaille Éite Mor.JPG
Stob Dearg air an sron Buachaille Éite Mor

Stacan is sgoth Stob Dearg.JPG
Stacan is sgoth Sgurr Dearg

Stob na Doire agus sneachd gu leor.JPG
Stob na Doire agus sneachd gu leor

A Mhoineach Mor.JPG
A Mhoineach Mor

Cárn is Grian.JPG
Cárn is Grian

On our way back off the Stob Dearg we met a couple who had just "mullach..ed" via the coire and an interesting tale they had !! behind them way down near the coire mouth was a fella with a dog heading down into Gleann Éite they had found him halfway up Coire an Tulaich without ice axe ,crampons or the power to move up or down !!! ....they rescued him by cutting him steps and when he summited they sent him down to Éite as there was no snow on that face , a lucky bodach gu dearbh

All in all a grand day but tiring i traversed back to Bealach Stob Coire Rium as having the dog with me i did nt want to have him skittering about on the ice ,fine for me with my full gear :lol: ...it was also such a grand day for a ridge walk

DSCF4060.JPG
An Grian

DSCF4056.JPG
An druim

Uill tha sin e a bhalaichean latha math agadsa .... :D and to repeat be very careful going down the Coire under Alt Ruim she is easier than the Coire Tulaich but the black ice covering the stones is deadly !

Final Score - Colla 2 Buachaille 0 (Colla wins 2-1 on aggregate ) :lol:

dol fodha na greine a ribhist.JPG
dol fodhna na gréíne

Suas leis a Ghaidhlig agus an Gaidhealtachd an canan nam Bheinn
Attachments
dol fodha na greine a ribhist.JPG
dol fodha na greine air a Bheinn
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Re: Final Score - Colla 2 Buachaille 0 (2-1 Agg)

Postby Redrock » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:21 pm

Wow! Great report! :D You deserved better after the clag of yesterday - and you got it! 8) Is that your dog on the ridge? At first glance I thought I was looking at a pony! :lol: You clearly enjoyed your day! 8)
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby andyfitz » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:47 pm

Excellent report and photies.As usual, need to ask my mother to translate some of your report. Sad that in a generation our language can be lost. Its not looking good.
andyfitz

Munros:191   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:18

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:21 am

Redrock wrote:Wow! Great report! :D You deserved better after the clag of yesterday - and you got it! 8) Is that your dog on the ridge? At first glance I thought I was looking at a pony! :lol: You clearly enjoyed your day! 8)

Aye it was just sgionneil :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby kevsbald » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:53 am

Easy, easy!! Well done that man - now you advance to the quarter finals....
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:27 pm

kevsbald wrote:Easy, easy!! Well done that man - now you advance to the quarter finals....

All the way to the final but not this year :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby monty » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:35 pm

Excellent report with some great photos. Nose healed I take it :lol: Your dog looks like a hardy breed. What is it? That guy was lucky :shock:
monty

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:47 pm

andyfitz wrote:Excellent report and photies.As usual, need to ask my mother to translate some of your report. Sad that in a generation our language can be lost. Its not looking good.

Ach is bochd sin ....it is easy to lose a language but Gaelic will survive :D ,it surprises me how many folk who use the hills fail to see the essence of the Gaidheal in the names and landscapes. We should remember it is not just a playground and there is no "wilderness" only a degraded and empty landscape :( ..... however it is beautiful :)
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:49 pm

monty wrote:Excellent report with some great photos. Nose healed I take it :lol: Your dog looks like a hardy breed. What is it? That guy was lucky :shock:

Ach the nose is made of good Gaelic bone i have injured myself worse coming home from the Tigh Osda ... but i learned my lesson :)

An Cú is a West Highland /Patterdale X and aye hardy with a wee bit mad :) and yes the fella was veeeeery lucky that Coire Tulaich is lethal !
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:59 pm

Such a great report and those photos, absolutely fantastic :thumbup:

So glad you eventually won on aggregate :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby Fudgie » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:17 am

Wonderful report along with some stunning pictures. It's good to see some people get clear days for the hills and I don't think the weather could have been any clearer.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby quoman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:16 pm

Well done on the 2-1 win top notch report and great photos and aye that guy was really lucky.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:37 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:Such a great report and those photos, absolutely fantastic :thumbup:

So glad you eventually won on aggregate :lol:

Moran Taing Susaidh :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:37 pm

quoman wrote:Well done on the 2-1 win top notch report and great photos and aye that guy was really lucky.

Aye he was indeed !
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland