walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall a'Mhuic (Glen Lyon)

Meall a'Mhuic (Glen Lyon)

Postby foggieclimber » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:38 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Meall a'Mhuic

Date walked: 15/01/2012

Time taken: 2.5 hours

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Company: Myself and Beinn
Dog friendly: Yes

I abandoned my ‘Plan A’ walk this morning - as the hills around Tyndrum were again covered in cloud. As I headed East, past Crianlarich, I entered the long-forgotten land of blue sky and sunshine :D :D :D.

For ‘Plan B’, I decided to ascend Meall a’Mhuic in Glen Lyon - this would be my 100th Graham.

The drive from Loch Tay to Bridge of Balgie was a bit interesting owing to frost and ice on the road. Once in Glen Lyon, I parked in the large car park at Innerwick.

Near the start there is a sign “Meggernie Estate – No camping” - it would appear that this estate is still not complying with the Outdoor Access Code.

Innerwick War Memorial:

I followed the track from Innerwick as far as the Allt Ghallabhaich. I took the upper track, with the intention of crossing the burn to re-gain the Meall a’Mhuic track a bit higher up. However, this wasn’t possible due to a six-foot deer fence and a steep drop down to the burn. I therefore descended a few hundred metres back down to the lower track. If doing this walk, stick to the lower track.

Beinn on Lairig an Mhuic track:

Ascending track towards Meall a’Mhuic:

After crossing the Allt Ghallabhaich, via a small bridge, we started the ascent of Meall a’Mhuic up an ugly, wide bulldozed track. This bulldozed track is next to what must have been the original land-rover track.

Meall a’Mhuic:

The view back towards the Lawers range was quite nice this morning.

Looking back towards Lawers range:

Just over 0.5km from the bridge, we left the wide bulldozed track to follow a zig-zagging landrover track heading up the hill.

Zig-zagging track ascending Meall a' Mhuic:

Looking back towards Lawers range:

Glen Lochay hills:

It didn’t take long to reach the end of the zig-zagging track. After that it was just a case of head for the summit.

Meall a’Mhuic:

Cam Chreag:

Beinn was off the lead for most of the walk today. He reached the summit at least five minutes before me and just lay down waiting for me to catch-up.

Beinn waiting at the summit (zoomed):

The views from the summit were not too bad. I particularly liked the view across to Ben Nevis.

Looking towards Loch Rannoch from the summit of Meall a’Mhuic:

Ben Nevis from the summit (zoomed):

View North from the summit:

Loch Rannoch from the summit:

After a quick drink at the summit, we returned to the car via the same route.

Descent back towards Innerwick:

Looking forward to more blue-sky walks this year!
foggieclimber

Re: Meall a'Mhuic (Glen Lyon)

Postby Steve B » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:44 pm

Just shows you what a fickle thing the weather is. I spent the day in Glen Lochay and the day started well but the clouds rolled in. Only a Glen away and you got views! :evil:
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby foggieclimber » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:05 pm

Steve B wrote:Just shows you what a fickle thing the weather is. I spent the day in Glen Lochay and the day started well but the clouds rolled in. Only a Glen away and you got views! :evil:

I watched the clouds roll-in over the Lawers range while on Meall a'Mhuic.
I wasn't so lucky on Beinn Bhalgairean & Meall nan Gabhar on Saturday - in cloud all day.
foggieclimber

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:14 pm

Been waiting on a report of the round i did, good choice to leave it for a better day. Looks like you got a good day for Meall a'Mhuic :)
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby ChrisW » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Great wee wander Foggie on a beautiful day, I love that little frost coating with clear skies, this looks like a walk I would have enjoyed. That pic of Beinn looking back at you from the summit made me laugh you can almost see the "what's taking so long" look :lol: great report, really enjoyed it :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland