walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Binnein an Fhidhleir

Binnein an Fhidhleir

Postby gman » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:20 pm

Route description: Stob Coire Creagach (Binnein an Fhidhleir)

Corbetts included on this walk: Binnein an Fhìdhleir (or Stob Coire Creagach)

Date walked: 16/01/2012

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 7 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Got to car park just after 12 on Sunday, was pretty full & in need of resurface. Must have been quite a few on the hills, didn't meet anyone after car park though. Thought I could do this quickly based on other reports - when I got back I realised some reports were only for first summit though d'oh.

Back on road and turn right to get to the track, there's a stile here then a gate immediately on the left. The going here is boggy and steep so I had a few camera breaks on the way up.
Binnein an Fhidhleir_15Jan2012_0001.jpg

The worst of the bog is just after the gate, looks OK but can be knee deep. Bypass to the right then back onto the path. The path leads on up the side of a fence, then branches to the right to meet the stile. The grassy gully in crags above can be spotted from here.
Binnein an Fhidhleir_15Jan2012_0004.jpg

At the top of the gully there's a plateau and you can see the next set of crags/ridge.
Binnein an Fhidhleir_15Jan2012_0009.jpg

I noticed a large group making their way up the low point on the ridge towards the right of pic above. On the return I came down the dip just to the left of that, but on the way up I followed the WH route up the crags on the left, had to zig zag upwards to avoid tricky bits.
Binnein an Fhidhleir_15Jan2012_0013.jpg

Again, it's a steep slog upwards.
Binnein an Fhidhleir_15Jan2012_0016.jpg

Wasn't as boggy though and grass became frosted over.
Binnein an Fhidhleir_15Jan2012_0019.jpg

Made it to Stob Coire Creagach cairn, loads of footsteps in frost but I didn't see anyone so I reckon most returned from here.
Binnein an Fhidhleir_15Jan2012_0021.jpg

Visibility was poor with occasional clear spell that would vanish as soon as I got the camera out. Continued along ridge, pretty straightforward but path not obvious in places.
Binnein an Fhidhleir_15Jan2012_0023.jpg

Binnein an Fhidhleir_15Jan2012_0026.jpg

Creag Bhosgain:
Binnein an Fhidhleir_15Jan2012_0032.jpg

Binnein an Fhidhleir:
Binnein an Fhidhleir_15Jan2012_0036.jpg

View down North side of ridge, plenty of peat hags frozen over so lots of slippy ice.
Binnein an Fhidhleir_15Jan2012_0037.jpg

Snow sections on Binnein an Fhidhleir so I put on crampons for practise. The snow had a frosty layer on top so was quite grippy if the gradient wasn't too severe.
Binnein an Fhidhleir_15Jan2012_0039.jpg

Binnein an Fhidhleir_15Jan2012_0042.jpg

Finally saw the summit:
Binnein an Fhidhleir_15Jan2012_0044.jpg

And a frosty trig point with Loch Fyne in background. Mmm...kippers:
Binnein an Fhidhleir_15Jan2012_0046.jpg

Stopped here for lunch, time was getting on though & not much daylight left so I returned down snow then tried a traverse on North side to avoid peaks. It was fairly icy here though & back up on ridge probably easier.

From Stob Coire Creagach cairn I decided to try a different descent route (shown on earlier pic). This was easier going down, but when I got to the flat section it wasn't obvious where the grassy gully started - no clear path to follow - and light was fading. Went down the side of a burn which was OKish and came out a bit further East than before so had to walk a bit to the stile. Ben Ime was looking majestic so tried a photo, camera was giving warnings though due to poor light.
Binnein an Fhidhleir_15Jan2012_0048.jpg

Easy to follow route from the stile, bit boggy but didn't need torch. Only 2 cars left in car park - hope someone wasn't stuck in the dark!
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Binnein an Fhidhleir

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi gman the first cairn you passed, photo 0021 was the summit at 817m, the trip points not the true summit,it sits at 804m :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Fudgie » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:28 pm

This one is high my to do list after climbing a Crobett nearby on Saturday. Your pictures have captured the weather well and I can feel the cold in a couple of them :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby gman » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:44 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Hi gman the first cairn you passed, photo 0021 was the summit at 817m, the trip points not the true summit,it sits at 804m :D

Aha, I knew the first cairn (Stob Coire Creagach) was higher but thought the trig point was the summit of Binnein an Fhidhleir. The highest bit is the summit d'oh!

Fudgie wrote:This one is high my to do list after climbing a Crobett nearby on Saturday. Your pictures have captured the weather well and I can feel the cold in a couple of them :D

It was Baltic, might get milder this week though - less frost, more bog! :D
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland