walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stunning day for a walk

Stunning day for a walk

Postby fipriestley » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:05 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Eildon Mid Hill

Date walked: 15/01/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 18 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Nice leisurely walk today. Out with a walking club, rather than just climbing the 3 Eildon hills we started in Maxton and walked St Cuthbert's Way to finish with the hills. Seemed like a long way off to start with but wasn't long before we were heading up the (killer!) stairs as far as the eye could see. Went to South top first, then to Mid Hill which had a tougher steep, shingle path. Wee bit slippery coming down this one as there was still some frost. Final hill was shorter and the walk back down was straightforward.
IMAG0616.jpg
fair way in to the walk and hills are still far off
IMAG0617.jpg
beautiful clear blue sky
IMAG0619.jpg
looking back to Maxton from South top
IMAG0620.jpg
Mid and North hills from South top
SDC12510.JPG
looking over Melrose from Mid Hill
SDC12513.JPG
looking back from North top
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Stunning day for a walk

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:14 am

What a lovely report Fi. :D

My daughter is down in Galashiels and I keep promising myself that I'll get up to these hills but after 3 years I still haven't :( :(

Glad you had a fun day out :D

P X
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Stunning day for a walk

Postby fipriestley » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:29 am

Thanks Polly! You should definitely go for these hills - would recommend St Cuthbert's Way too. A good river/woodland route though there is some road walking in there.

I actually bought ski goggles last week, after needing them for the last few weeks.. should have known that would mean they weren't needed for this weekend! :lol:
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland