walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fisherfield 6 - A Great day Out

Fisherfield 6 - A Great day Out

Postby eharbottle » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:04 pm

Munros included on this walk: A' Mhaighdean, Beinn Tarsuinn, Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair, Ruadh Stac Mòr, Sgùrr Bàn

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chlaidheimh

Date walked: 28/04/2011

Time taken: 13 hours

Distance: 36 km

Ascent: 2850m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Weather forecast was amazing, wife was going to watch the Royal Wedding all day, so a plan was hatched. I had read other reports about attacking these 6 hills but decided to go in from Kinlochewe on the bike, camp up, then walk round in a full day. The track from Kinlochewe up via the Heights and up Gleann na Muice was just fine and it didn't take long to be in the wilds

P1020526.JPG

After a long climb, I dumped the bike just before the deer fence and plodded up towards Loch Fada to pitch the trusty North Face tadpole with an 'out of the door' view of Slioch over the loch.

P1020539.JPG

And the sunset was ok as well

P1020559.JPG

In the morning the weather was as good as the forecast and I left the tent to head up towards Bealach Odhar then onto Beinn Tarsuinn to survey the scene and my chosen route.

P1020598.JPG

I knew that I was going to have to descend into the glen to reach the other 3 but I enjoy a challenge and I had all day.
Went over the tennis court then had a bit of a plod to get to the top of A'Mhaighdean where the views were quite something on the way to the top.

P1020619.JPG

I had read about the scramble up the side of Ruadh Stac Mor but when I got there the route was fairly well worn and with no difficulties I was at the top of number 3 where I met the first person I had seen in a day. A quick chat about what we could see and how superb it all was and we went in our different directions.
Then I headed down to the glen floor, via the line of a stream, and then I picked a route across towards Loch Bhrisidh and, after a welcome feet dip in a small waterfall made pond, I managed to follow my chosen line past the loch and onto the slopes of Beinn a Chladheimh. I decided to dump the bag and went over the 815m top and onto the summit with just a camera. Met another couple there, and it may have just been me but I felt they looked at me as if I was a bit mad to be in the middle of nowhere in tee shirt and shorts with just a nikon. Anyway off from there before the group of 'we have a better piece of measuring kit than Mr Munro did' decide it is a few centimetres too short and on over the rocks to Sgurr Ban remembering to pick up my bag on the way.

P1020691.JPG

Across the massive flat top of Sgurr Ban and with signs of weary legs now beginning to show I looked at the final very steep climb to the top of Fheachair with a bit of worry.

P1020701.JPG

Slow steady pace got me to number 6 and a small feeling of achievement, now all I had to decide was whether to camp another night or bag out. Anyway off towards Meall Garbh and I have never been so pleased to see a bypass path as I really didn't think I could scale the 851 top.
Back to the tent at 18.30 so packed up, bagged out to the bike and took full advantage of the several kms of downhill to reach the motor and head for a guilty free burger in Inverness.

Top day out, great views and no more questions about why we do this.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

eharbottle
Munro compleatist

Munros:263   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Fisherfield 6 - A Great day Out

Postby skuk007 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:42 pm

Great report there, love the view from your tent, must have been fabulous.
I must remember this route for when I do these, 6 in one outing, well done. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Jock McJock » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:10 pm

Stunning place for a wild camp. Can't wait to get up there :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:43 am

It's an amazing place. Good effort on doing all 5 ;) . I camped in an almost identical spot about the week before you did :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland