walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First Hillwalk of the Year - Yeeah!"

First Hillwalk of the Year - Yeeah!"

Postby prophetofdom » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:09 pm

Route description: Càrn na h-Easgainn, near Moy

Fionas included on this walk: Càrn na h-Easgainn

Date walked: 18/01/2012

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 10.4 km

Ascent: 380m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I like this walk, it may become a favourite in the summer for warm evenings with long sunsets. Had initally planned to climb the Corbett at the head of Beauly Firth today - Bealach Na Bhuach Ard - but climbing partner wasn’t up for the potentially challenging day and so after much dalying and other unplanned chores it was post midday before I departed the croft and headed for a much shorter and simpler route undertaking the hills I look over on everyday.

I was soon to learn why this might become a favourite. Within 30mins I was at Lynebeg at the base of the hill and 30mins later following the track to the cairn I had the summit and a wonderful view to inhale.

From the top of Carn na h-Easgainn I headed down to check out the Bothy I had seen pictures of, including Inverness’s highest long drop - which the snow had frozen shut. I had tea in the bothy although it was so mild I spent most of the time on the terrace picking out mountains from the north and Ben Wyvis down through Glen Affric into Fort Augustus. Amazing light and air for viewing sharply distant tops.

The excellent track that was put in allowed me to go down and up to a second top and with moments I was heading again to another cairn. That wonderful feeling as you draw nearer to a pile of stones and with each step the mountain gets smaller and the horizon gets vaster. You just can’t beat that momment. Especially when your feet are so well accommodated on a track there are no hazards to befall you.

The track continued down to the next bealach before abruptly stopping and allowing me to head to a distant cairn that was calling over frozen peat hags and crispy firm ground. It is much easier to navigate these hags when they bear your weight up so much more readily, although the ice and snow merely presents different problems.

Eventually I made the cairn and took out my lunch and the rest of my tea and enjoyed again the wide view before retracing my steps to the road and then heading out again over the hags to the descending gap that the map said would lead me down to the Wade’s Track and from there back to Lynebeg.

As I left the hill and the hags and descending into the every deepening cut by the burn I was wandering quite spellbound in a glen replete with ancient birch trees and resplendent in juniper trees - aye taller than bushes and almost taller than me and riddled with deer tracks. I followed them to the edge of a forrestry fence and gate and then crossed over to follow the burn to the every increasing noise of the A9.

Another gate to cross beside a startled deer that did not see, smell or hear me until i was almost upon her and then across a wee path through a field and into an alley betwixt to lines of sitka that beheld the blackest, most complete blackest forest I have ever walked through which mercilfully was brief before emerging by what I assumed to be Wade’s road with a fencepost marker tied with white plastic that seemed to head of in the right direction - a corageous decision but it was the correct one since it lead through the forest and then across a Heather field - with vague directional markings but a clear track all the way to Lymebeg.

Many thanks to
Malky c
on these pages for showing me this route and also for his “extra time” route which encouraged me to venture from top to top and held down over the hills towards the A9 and pick up a soggy frosty General Wade’s road back to Lynebeg through the wilds and plantations around this area.

Cracking little route and I owe its discovery to Walk Highlands.
Attachments
IMG_7632.JPG
View from the Triangulation Pillar of Carn na h'Easgainn
IMG_7637.JPG
View from the Top of the hill
IMG_7638.JPG
The Bothy from the summit
IMG_7658.JPG
View from the Summit of Easgasinn
IMG_7660.JPG
Heading for another hill
IMG_7665.JPG
The Windmilld beside the hill
IMG_7683.JPG
Late evening sun on Meall Moy
IMG_7699.JPG
Evening Sunset As we leave the hills

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by prophetofdom on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prophetofdom
Hill Bagger

Munros:108   Corbetts:20
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   

Re: First Hillwalk of the Year - Yeeah!"

Postby 2dalmatians » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:57 pm

prophet - well done on that first walk of the year. Its a good feeling. I know what you mean about a good path. Last week up Scheihallion - the path was superb. You need to get the camera working so we can see some pics to go with the great narrative :thumbup: !
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby malky_c » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:02 pm

Nice one - glad you found the report useful :) . This is such a handy hill that I've been up it twice more since I wrote that, and may well be up there this weekend too. Cheers for another variation on the descent route to look at (although I'm usually short of time, so I go down the way I came up).
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby 2dalmatians » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:31 pm

Nice to see the pictures to go with the report pdom! :)
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland