walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie from Glen Turret

Ben Chonzie from Glen Turret

Postby Huck Finn » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:14 am

Date walked: 21/01/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Kevin and myself arrived at the car park at Glen Turret reservoir at 8:00, it seemed strange with only the two of us there, Pigeon was working away from home (for the second weekend in a row, he will be going mad with not getting on the hills) and the decision to go was too late in the day to get a message to Ian & Jake.

It did not look like a good start to the day, just as we had pulled into the car park the heavens opened up, but we decided to put our faith in the weather forecast and sit tight for 10 minutes, as the forecast had predicted showers for the day, amazing as it may seem, but they were right and by 8:15 we were booted and suited and on our way down the track :D

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

We had decided (well Kevin had decided) to do the walk from this side of the hill as we would get better shelter from the very high winds forecast the closer we got to the base of the hill and we would be exposed to it for less time on the higher ground.
We were certain getting a feel for how heavy the wind was going to be as walked headlong into it on the long walk in, with the water being whipped up on the loch, but we could feel it ease the nearer we got.

9.JPG

Although it looked like a step climb up, it was surprisingly good, the only problem with the boulder field being the lite covering of snow, it made for a possible leg breaker ascent and even more so on the decent. We made good steady progress and we were well sheltered from the wind which was nice.

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

14.JPG
No idea what Kevin is upto, a dance, walking a tight rope, who knows!!!

15.JPG

We headed for the fence line as there had been some heavy showers on the way in and the wind was now howling, turning the showers into a snow whiteout, the fence posts gave as a good guide to make sure we did not go off track.

16.JPG

The snow under foot was now solid ice and I was getting constant wind speeds of 35mph with gusts of 40 – 50 mph, this was on the head so it made for slow progress, we had also been a bit slow in reacting to the conditions under foot, we had not deployed our spikes, a silly move.

17.JPG

18.JPG

We were now on what should have been a nice steady walk to the summit, but having no cover from the wind we were taking a beating, the wind was a constant 60mph and the gusts were hitting 70mph, it was now that we decided to put the spikes on, lucky it was not too little too late as the firm footing we now had gave us a new lease of life, even if we could not see 20ft in front of us.

I had stopped to take a photo (mad I know, fingers were numb in about 10 seconds with the extreme wind chill, but it seemed as if it was starting to clear a little)

19.JPG

and this gave Kev a chance to catch and as I turned to continue on my way the white out suddenly cleared and much to my joy the cairn was in view for the first time, about 50ft away from me.

I managed once nice photo of Kevin at the cairn, but my hands were way too cold to take more, so the camera was put away and the gloves were back on.

20.JPG

We thought the decent would be not too bad as the wind was now on our back, this proved not to be the case, as we had to lean really hard into it to stop ourselves being blown over, this brought its own problems as we could further into our walk out.

21.JPG

22.JPG

What a relief it was once we got into the shelter of the hill, we picked our way carefully down the boulders and we found a nice we spot to shelter from the snow to have a bite to eat, it was at this time that Kevin produced some of Senga’s home made lentil soup, it was braw and really hit the spot.

23.JPG

The wind was change a little and we were starting to get hit by it again, but nothing compared to the top and we were soon on the landrover track out. It was here the I found out the true cost having to have leaned so heavy into the wind earlier, my left knee was totally shot out and the long walk out which I had so much enjoyed on the way was agony.
We got back to the car exactly six hours after starting. Kev and me both agreed it had been a cracking day, with a little bit of everything, a nice easy walk, with a bit of excitement at the top and in between the heavy showers, clear skies with some truly stunning views.
What would be classed but some as an easy boring walk has just made it into my top 10 of walks so far :thumbup:
Last edited by Huck Finn on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Ben Chonzie from Glen Turret

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:30 pm

Was that today ? good report :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby Huck Finn » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:21 pm

We did it yesterday, I just noticed I had not put in the date :?
Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Postby luckyguy68 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:14 pm

i agree that its a testing walk in the snow due to the changing weather conditions. Wish i had spikes when i done it as i was skiteing about everywhere :lol: Good to see some clear pictures at the summit. I didnt have my camera out for long as my finger stuck to the camera. Damn you wind chill!!
luckyguy68
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Fudgie » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:36 pm

You're a brave man going out in that weather. I'll need to try this one from that side as I've done it via the normal route.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Huck Finn » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:42 pm

luckyguy68 wrote:i agree that its a testing walk in the snow due to the changing weather conditions. Wish i had spikes when i done it as i was skiteing about everywhere :lol: Good to see some clear pictures at the summit. I didnt have my camera out for long as my finger stuck to the camera. Damn you wind chill!!

We just used our Micro spikes on this one, they worked a treat, taking the photos is as much of the hobby for me as the walking, so i end up suffering a lot of cold numb fingers :(

Fudgie wrote:You're a brave man going out in that weather. I'll need to try this one from that side as I've done it via the normal route.

Brave, maybe just daft :lol:
I have not done it from the other side, but i certainly would say it's worth heading back to on those days that you are looking for an easy walk :D
Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Postby kevsbald » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:25 pm

That's Ben Chonzie, the 'boring' hill apparently. Your report once again convinces me that there are no boring hills, especially in those conditions - really enjoyed that and the light in some of the shots were excellent. Great effort.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Ian Bayne » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:37 pm

Done Chonzie last year in a t shirt looks different in the white stuff jake spent all his time chasing the moutain hares I was up the ochills on sat Kings Seat Tarmangie and whitewisp nice quite walk breaking the new boots in Good report some nice photos are we oot this weekend Later
Ian Bayne
Mountain Walker

Munros:184   Corbetts:39
Fionas:13   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:12   

Postby pigeon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:49 pm

Well done lads,some good pics despite the wind causing havoc,looking forward to getting oot at weekend :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby monty » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:15 pm

Nice report Huck Finn. Its amasing how conditions changed an easy hill into a challenging one. Nice photos too. :D
monty

Postby Huck Finn » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:45 pm

Thanks for all the good comments :D

Ian Bayne wrote: are we oot this weekend Later

Aye we are, not sure what day, but I know Dave has three targets in mind already :thumbup:
Huck Finn
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland