walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Have I Told You Ledi That I Love You?

Have I Told You Ledi That I Love You?

Postby Fudgie » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:53 pm

Route description: Ben Ledi

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Ledi

Date walked: 22/01/2012

Time taken: 3.2 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 760m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had originally planned to go out on Saturday but the high winds that were forecast put me off so after a restless day in the house I hatched a cunning plan to head for the hills very early in the morning. This would ensure an early enough return in order to take the good lady in Glasgow. I climbed Ben Donich last week and all last night I was trying to decide what nearby Corbett to go for when in a moment of inspiration I decided to go for Ben Ledi as it was only an hour away and I figured I could be back for lunchtime.

I set off from the house at 6:45 and after a drive along some deserted roads, I arrived at the car park and was ready to go at 7:50. Daylight wasn't too far away but I put on my head torch as under the forest canopy it was still pretty dark and if the likes of Bogfoot jumped out of the trees, I wanted to be able to see him. I soon cleared the forest and continued uphill with a glorious sunrise capturing my attention which was also a good excuse to stop (for pictures obviously, not to catch my breath...).

Before long I had reached the halfway point and I was treated to great views heading over towards Grangemouth as well as back towards where I live. The climb was still reasonably steep and the snow was sporadic but I was making good time and although the wind was making itself know, the weather was almost ideal.

At this point the climb eased off and I picked upthe pace as I approached the first of the false summits. A large part of it was covered in snow but I walked up the heather to the side of it and before long I was over it and faced with the next one.

Although it was steep I found the going quite easy as the false summit was sheltering me from the worst of the wind and before I knew it I had reached the top and could now see the iron cross at the summit. The snow on the last climb up was a bit firmer but my Scarpa's kicked in easily and the crampons remained in the bag. Parts of the snow werw quite firm whereas other parts would see me up to my knee in it but it didn't slow me down too much. It was slightly slippy a few feet from the cross but it was nothing that had me contemplating reaching into the bag.

As I reached the cross the wind returned and tried to make up for missing me out for the last 15 minutes. Visibility was still excellent but the gusts were getting stronger and a large dark cloud loomed on the horizon. Until now, Ben Lomond & Arrochar seemed to be getting the worst of it and the Lawers range would appear then disappear on a regular basis but I had escaped unscathed. I tok a few pictures at the top but not many as the wind seemed to be getting stronger and I wanted off the summit if I was going to be hit with the snow.

My lunch was still in my bag but if I was to be hit with the weather, I didn't want to be in the middle of enjoying my tomato soup when it happened. I descended quite quickly as the reasonably soft snow allowed me to take big strides whilst keeping me upright. I then encountered two runners who had came up behind me and I let them carry on as they both looked absolutely freezing. I maintained a fast rate of descent through the snow and I spotted a figure coming up but he looked to be a fair distance away.

I surprised myself by how fast I met him and after a brief chat, I left him to head on up and by now the cloud which had threatened to envelop the mountain seemed to split and push snow round both sides but the bit I was on escaped it. I passed a few other folk and shortly after this, I saw a set of foot prints in the snow heading down a steep section and I realised that someone a couple of days previously had taken a shortcut and I decided to follow them.

Ben Lonond is in there somewhere:

After a few involuntary bum slides :D I rejoined the path and passed more folk as I marched back to the car. I was there before I knew it and my return trip took me 3 hrs and 20 minutes which I'm pretty pleased with. I cracked open my flask of soup in the car and hungrily guzzled it before heading for home.

For the second week running, I've been shown that I shouldn't overlook Corbetts and I really enjoyed myself today. It was one of those days when I tell myself that the views and the whole experience are why I do it and I'm delighted to say that on a Scottish mountain in January, my waterproof jacket stayed in the bag. The thread title came to me in a moment of clarity as I was enjoying bouncing down through the snow and it's a day I'll look back on fondly.

As I passed through Callander, Ben Ledi was looking magnificent in the morning sun and I pulled over to take a picture before continuing the journey. As I approached the roundabout outside Aberfoyle, Ben Lomond looked majestic as it rose up above everything around it. Here's to more days like this!

Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Re: Have I Told You Ledi That I Love You?

Postby kevsbald » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:44 pm

Photo 1 is stunning - and yer title ain't bad either. Wake up Fudgie, I think I got something.....
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Fudgie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:56 pm

Cheers Kev. I never bothered taking my filters and tripod along after last weeks weather and as I stood on that slope I kicked myself for not putting them in the bag. Here's to more good weather :D

I was getting good views of Beinn Each and Stuc a Chroin and I've got my eye on doing them two of them next having already done Chroin from the Ben Vorlich side.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby quoman » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:28 pm

Good report fudgie
And sone cracking photo's looks like you got down in time before the snow came on makes it even better the waterproof jacket was in the rucksac all the way :D
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Fudgie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:25 pm

quoman wrote:Good report fudgie
And sone cracking photo's looks like you got down in time before the snow came on makes it even better the waterproof jacket was in the rucksac all the way :D

The snow made a very brief appearance and the summit looked clear the whole time I was there. It's a rare sight :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby monty » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:21 pm

Looks like a cracking hill to do Fudgie. Some nice photos. Love the last photo :D
monty

Postby RicKamila » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:29 pm

Photo 1 should be entered in the first Photo Competition!!
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:34 pm

Nice day for it and agree with comments on first photo. Does your wife know that you're in love with Ledi? :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Fudgie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:59 pm

My fiancée is well aware of my feelings for the mountains and just laughs it off Johnny :lol:

Cheers for the other comments guys and I have to admit to a slight bit of Photoshop with the first one but I still can't do the way it looked to me justice. It was one of those "this is why I do this moments" and I dare say I'll be back to that spot for sunrise again. If the competition gets going Rik then I'll probably put it in. You really have to do this hill Monty and hopefully if you do then you get weather like I did.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby RicKamila » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:53 am

Fudgie wrote:Cheers for the other comments guys and I have to admit to a slight bit of Photoshop with the first one but I still can't do the way it looked to me justice. It was one of those "this is why I do this moments" and I dare say I'll be back to that spot for sunrise again. If the competition gets going Rik then I'll probably put it in.

Photoshopping is allowed. The amount of votes received shows that people are interested in the photo comp, so it will start in 5 days. If previous month is chosen, please enter this one. It's a beautiful photo.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:16   

Postby ChrisW » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:35 pm

Great report fudgie and some lovely photos, its always good to read a report when the author had such a great day out in the hills :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Fudgie » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:52 pm

Cheers Chris. I'm hoping for similar weather tomorrow :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:05 pm

Firstly, love the title!

Secondly, love the report!

Thirdly, love the photographs! (good luck with competition :D )

And lastly, I love Ben Ledi too. My husband and I did this one on a glorious day last February and thought it was fab! We returned via Stank Glen wearing tee shirts!

Look forward to more of your reports :thumbup:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Fudgie » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:49 pm

Cheers Polly. I've got the tripod and filters packed for tomorrow so here's hoping I get to use them :D Beinn Dorain will hopefully give me a good viewing platform :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Postby skillinabottle » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:09 pm

Nice one. I've topped Ledi a few times. Driving past today, I remember why it always draws me back - it seems so appealing from Callander! :D

P1040709.JPG
skillinabottle
Munro compleatist

Munros:71   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:22   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland