walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tinto Hill

Tinto Hill

Postby walkaholic » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:07 pm

Route description: Tinto from the north

Fionas included on this walk: Tinto

Donalds included on this walk: Tinto

Date walked: 22/01/2012

Time taken: 2.39 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 511m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my first ever Graham - enjoyable popular walk, with great views. It was exceptionally muddy in places and there was a real nip in the air today. (Note for next time, don't go on a very windy day!!) :crazy:
Attachments
SDC10809.JPG
SDC10810.JPG
SDC10811.JPG
SDC10820.JPG
SDC10821.JPG
walkaholic
Mountaineer

Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: Tinto Hill

Postby mrssanta » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:27 pm

must go there one day, been saying that for years and years driving past on the way north and south
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby snodland » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:03 am

I was in Glasgow today but I pointed out Tinto Hill to my friend. I should have waved to you instead.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It is such a disctinctive shape I really like seeing it from glasgow and the north (Lennoxtown Woods, Meikle Bin - once even clocked it walking east along Clevedon Road in Glasgow)
snodland
Munro compleatist

Munros:89   Corbetts:17
Fionas:14   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5

Postby craighall » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:58 pm

Congratulations ! You should do it in better weather when it's quite chastening to have kids & dogs scampering past you, as happened to me !

Michael.
craighall
Mountaineer

Munros:10   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4

Postby kfrweaving » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:46 pm

I loved reading this! For years i have wondered what this walk would be like. My grandparents lived in Symington, nearby and i always wondered what it would be like to be at the top of the hill. Haven't been to the area for years. I think as a child the name Tinto hill was interesting and funny. But the views are fantastic. Would love to go back to that area at somepoint. But great photos, brings back some memories for me looking at the landscape
kfrweaving
Bird-watcher

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland