walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Try the Hill of Fare for some fine views of Deeside

Try the Hill of Fare for some fine views of Deeside

Postby Lastofthesummerwine » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:48 pm

Route description: Hill of Fare, near Banchory

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Hill of Fare

Date walked: 23/01/2012

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 350m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

001.JPG
Nice walk through open woodland
We had some free time today after doing some shopping in the nearby Garden Centre at Banchory so decided to try the Hill of Fare. You are allowed to park round the back of the Raemoir House Hotel a few K's north of Banchory off the A980, just try not to block the track. There is a muddy car park with some interesting hens to avoid pecking around the parked cars. Take the track which leaves uphill to the left, take first right then keep going uphill as per the uploaded OS map. The woods are lovely and the views soon appear once you leave the trees behind. On the final bash to the top the views up Deeside are wonderful and we clearly saw the snowy top of Ben Avon with it's distinctive tors. Well worth the effort. If you have more time than we did you can go around all of the summits which could take you most of the day. Would be lovely in Summer and we intend to go back and make a day of it.
005.JPG
007.JPG
011.JPG
A nice view of distant Morven the corbett near the village of Tarland
012.JPG
Banchory far below
014.JPG
Hamish loves the hills
017.JPG
The track at the top continues over the summit tops
019.JPG
Upper Deeside
Attachments
002.JPG
Trees soon thin out
Lastofthesummerwine
Mountain Walker

Re: Try the Hill of Fare for some fine views of Deeside

Postby monty » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:55 pm

Thats a nice walk. Sunshine at the start and sunshine on the summit. You canae beat it. :D
monty

Postby Alastair S » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:17 pm

If it wasn't dark I could see this hill from where I'm now sitting. Been here in Banchory 3 & half years but I've only been up there once. I keep thinking I'll get up there one fine summer evening but never seem to get round to it. Still, nice to see some closer up views - thanks for sharing.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Grahams:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Lastofthesummerwine » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:27 pm

Yes it was sunny. I still haven't mastered the uploading of photos business yet. The map was supposed to be the first one. I am rather confused by the options available when posting pics. Does anyone else find this?
Lastofthesummerwine
Mountain Walker

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:41 am

Nice report LOTSW, brings back lovely memories for me :D if you are serious about a return visit to this little beauty you may want to try the walk from the east, it makes for a nice 14.5 km circuit I did it in September last year and really enjoyed it :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby morag1 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:46 am

Great views of Deeside and lovely photos :thumbup:

All those times I've sat in the Garden Center Car park and never knew this hill was right behind it!!!
morag1

Postby Lastofthesummerwine » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:38 am

I intend to try it from the East next time. As for the fotties. Well actually the camera was accidentally set to close up on some of the shots.I still haven't got the hang of it yet as it's a new one.
Lastofthesummerwine
Mountain Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland