walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dorain

Beinn Dorain

Postby michaelmcp » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:59 am

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dòrain

Date walked: 22/01/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Ascent: 1076m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This started out as a trip to do Beinn Dorain and it's partner Beinn an Dothaidh as a somewhat compromise between me and my brother. I wanted to go further east to avoid the dodgy weather predicted for the West, he wanted to go further north into Glencoe to get in amongst the heavy weather and deeper snow.

However, the compromise had an early plus point as we got a great view of sunrise over the Crianlarich hills......
Sunrise of Crianlarich.jpg

We got to the car park at 9.15am, about 45mins later than planned. Doesn't help when your walking partner sleeps in !!!

Despite this we set off not long after with winter gear in check. There was a little bit of cloud on the hills we were going to climb as we made our way under the railway bridge but nothing to worry about.

It is a fairly easily walk to the bealach between the two hills, if a little boggy at parts - always a good test of how good your boots are for water ingression. Mine did fine.

As we approached the bealach the weather changed a little, the winds picked up and thicker cloud rolled in. We decided to do Beinn Dorain first and after after adding extra layer for warmth and getting the gloves out we started to make our way up the ridge. This was when the weather and walking conditions really started to change. Snow started falling, the wind really picked up and underfoot was compacted snow - not a match for our ice/snow spikes and axes though.

As we continued up the Walkhighlands route, the conditions were getting whiter and whiter and we were beginning to rely more and more on the gps app on our phones for the route, as the features on the map began to disappear into sea of whiteness.

Whiteout.jpg

We eventually reached a large cairn, which I'm in no doubt was the Carn Sasunnaich - backed up by my map and gps - but my brother insists was the true summit despite having no means of verifying this other than it was a large cairn.

I tried edging further south to find the ridge towards the true summit but the conditions were very much against us, visibility very poor and what we could see looked as if a huge white blanket had been layed out atop the hill. It was a little disorientating so we made our way back to the cairn, where we had some light refreshments

Carn Sasunnaich ???
323413_10150629397512425_693392424_10937505_794008555_o.jpg

Satisfied that we had made it this far, and with our reliance on a battery powered device we started our descent back down the same route we ascended. Once we reached the bealach between the two hills, at about 1.30pm, we decided that Beinn an Dothaidh was best tackled another day. Although further down the gully we met two walkers making their way up to tackle it - maybe we would have had time but too late by now.

Despite my feelings that we never quite made it to the true summit of Beinn Dorain, it was an enjoyable walk - my first in winter conditions like this. I'll no doubt be back to tackle these two in the summer.
michaelmcp
Mountain Walker

Munros:65   Corbetts:2

Re: Beinn Dorain

Postby Fudgie » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:36 am

Some difference in the weather considering I was only a few miles away. I'm leaving these two for a day when I'll have the time to do both.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby L-Hiking » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:07 pm

Great first pic

Looks like the hills are on fire :thumbup:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby michaelmcp » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:29 pm

Fudgie wrote:Some difference in the weather considering I was only a few miles away. I'm leaving these two for a day when I'll have the time to do both.

The contrast in your day on Ben Ledi and mine on the same day but less than 40 miles apart is unreal.
michaelmcp
Mountain Walker

Munros:65   Corbetts:2

Postby jmarkb » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:28 pm

michaelmcp wrote:We eventually reached a large cairn, which I'm in no doubt was the Carn Sasunnaich - backed up by my map and gps - but my brother insists was the true summit despite having no means of verifying this other than it was a large cairn.

I'm sure you are correct: see http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/780817
A good excuse to do the pair another time.... :)
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Fudgie » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:13 pm

michaelmcp wrote:
Fudgie wrote:Some difference in the weather considering I was only a few miles away. I'm leaving these two for a day when I'll have the time to do both.

The contrast in your day on Ben Ledi and mine on the same day but less than 40 miles apart is unreal.

Having just noticed that you wanted to go further East, I hope you repeatedly told him that you were right :lol:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland