walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Knoydart Munros

Knoydart Munros

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:02 am

Munros included on this walk: Ladhar Bheinn, Luinne Bheinn, Meall a' Bhùiridh

Date walked: 31/05/2009

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

30-31/05/09: Ladhar Bheinn, Meall Buidhe, Luinne Bheinn
video here

These three hill were tackled by myself and my brother at the start of a week long walking holiday which was great. I drove up to Kinlochhourn on the Saturday morning. The weather was fantastic. With it being warm and sunny. We had hired Billy from Arnisdale to pick us up at one and we headed along the stunning loch in his boat. This was great and we wished we had hired him a few days later!!! We knew the weather was to be great so we took our bivvies and forgot the tent. Arriving at Barrisdale we left Billie and headed alog the bay where Larven looked bloody marvellous across the turquous waters of Barrisdale bay.
October 2008 033.jpg
First view of Larven from boat
IMAGE_330.jpg
off the boat and around barridale bay to start ascent

It was warm and there were a few people milling around at Barrisdale. We headed back north and west into the Choire Dhoircail which was breath taking, like something from Lord of the rings.
IMAGE_339.jpg

There is no doubt that outside the Cuillin this is one of the most beautiful mountains in Scotland. As we rose we could see the Arnisdale hills shining across the water. For such a warm early summers day the clarity of the air was fantastic. It must have been nearly 25 degrees. As we rose out of the corrie onto the ridge I ws really, really, really struggling. I had no energy and I had to slow right down – I think at this point my brother was wondering if we would ever make the top!!!!! However I stuggled on and once on the ridge things became a little less steep. It was later now and it must have been nearly 5 or 6 before we reached the summit next to the top. There were a few groups now who were heading back down to Barrisdale, we however were biving and could take all the time in the world!!! We basked in the lowering sun on the top looking out to Skye at the serrated peaks of the Cuillin , knowing that on Tuesday we would be climbing these again and praying that the weather would stay as it was.
IMAGE_341.jpg
snoozing in evening sunshine on Larven summit ridge

We headed toward the Mams barrisdale where we were to bivvie and made it as the sun was setting behing Larven. The spot was a couple hundred meters above the mams with great views of the two munros which were to be climbed tomorrow. We woke around 8 and headed off up the Luinne Bheinn. It was not too difficult as we were starting at a height and we were on top early with only a couple at the same pace as us. We saw lots of deer and I have never seen so tame deer allowing us to get so close to them. Once again we had struck gold with the weather being fantastic!!! We decided to leave our bags well most of the bivvy gear at Mama for the ascent of both hills.. This was a good move and saw us move quickly over the rocky ascent to reach the top. We met a chap who had been dropped at Iverie and was walking the 3 munros and then being picked up at Barrisdale – this was the way to do it!!! He told us stories of Sron na Ciche which seemed close to the east in the clear air. These were hills for another time!! We headed back to Mams to refill our sacks for the long walk out. I was feeling better than I did on the ascent of Larven but was still tired. It was around 1 oclock when we got to mams and this started the long beautiful but torturous walk back to Barrisdale in the scortching sun!! I have never been so releaved to see me car!!!! I was kackered and how we wished for Billy and his boats during the walk out!!! We got to the car for 6 or 7 ish and then hared round to Glen sheil to make sure we got a room at the kintail lodge which we did and had lovely grub and a nice bed. From their we did Marsco, climbed sgur dubh mor with Mike, AnTeallach and Stac Pollaidh (where it snowed – contrast to the 27 degrees on Monday!!!!)
October 2008 035.jpg
Last edited by wilkiemurray on Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
wilkiemurray

Re: Knoydart Munros

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:28 am

Stunning area and you lucky people caught it at it's best :thumbup: Brilliant :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby monty » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:37 pm

Nice report Wilkie. I dream of such sunny days :lol: Looking forward to doing this route this year. :D
monty

Postby kevsbald » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:24 pm

Wow. This area looks amazing. Like the shot of the recline after the incline.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland