walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

I'm sure I climbed this hill yesterday?

I'm sure I climbed this hill yesterday?

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:08 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chaorainn & Beinn Teallach

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaorainn (Glen Spean), Beinn Teallach

Date walked: 29/01/2012

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1268m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Beinn a'Chaorainn - there's two of these lumps if you didn't realise; and I didn't... I did a double take as I selected todays walk; thought I must have misread; either that; or I climbed something else yesterday....

What is with Scotland naming mountains with the same name; imagine having two Londons; eeeek...

Anyway; something shorter today; really just to walk off the hoof in the Cairngorms yesterday. Fair to say conditions weren't as nice, but what's a little wind right?

2012 - 01 - 29 - Beinn a'Charoainn 001.jpg
Just above the forest on the Ascent...

It's a decent pull up Beinn a'Chaorainn (this one anyway) and I couldn't see anything above the 600 metre contour line, so there's not a lot to say... Keep going; you'll get there in the end...

And I did...

2012 - 01 - 29 - Beinn a'Charoainn 002.jpg
The Summit Vista...

I kept well left of the steep drops to the east on the route; it was near whiteout conditions and I'd read the stories of people coming a cropper when walking on a direct bearing...

2012 - 01 - 29 - Beinn a'Charoainn 003.jpg
The reason I stayed away from the edge... Couldnae see it!!

I had some fun in deep snow skidding down to the high beallach that separates Beinn a'Charoain from his lower neighbour...

2012 - 01 - 29 - Beinn a'Charoainn 004.jpg
Finally some views... The second target of the day...

And then the ascent kicked in; not particularly enjoyable; I was being blasted in the face by snow; but there we go... It was fairly tough going in around knee deep snow for much of it, but it's not a big ascent; just 300 metres or so, and it's over before you know it...

There's two summit cairns; I've no idea which is higher though I'd wager the second one I got to; anyway doing both saves any unwanted errors and the scenery from both was stunning...

2012 - 01 - 29 - Beinn a'Charoainn 005.jpg
Hmmm The first summit; and no I'm not cold... ;)

2012 - 01 - 29 - Beinn a'Charoainn 006.jpg
The second summit; and I'm still not cold... ;)

That's it really; straight down... A good healing this weekend with 46 km and four new blue pins on the map over the two days. I'm almost ready to face another week of work!!

2012 - 01 - 29 - Beinn a'Charoainn 007.jpg
The drive home; and the sun come out to play; I love Scotland :)

2012 - 01 - 29 - Beinn a'Chaorainn Stats.jpg
The Stats...

2012 - 01 - 29 - Beinn a'Chaorainn Route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by andrewdoggett on Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: I'm sure I climbed this hill yesterday?

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:16 pm

Whichever one it was, I enjoyed your report and the photos :D

andrewdoggett wrote:Keep going; you'll get there in the end...
That's what I sometimes think........when I'm reading people's walk reports :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Re: I'm sure I climbed this hill yesterday?

Postby monty » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:12 pm

Aye the scenery was stunning :lol: :lol: Good effort. Me being old I was on ma crutches today :D
monty

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland