walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dumgoyne and Earls Kitchen Door,,(didnt make it to the Seat)

Dumgoyne and Earls Kitchen Door,,(didnt make it to the Seat)

Postby GillC » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:59 pm

Date walked: 29/01/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 650m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Amazing what you find on your doorstep.

Having to rely on public transport (or larger groups) we looked into a few 'local' walks and settled on Dumgoyne/Earls Seat.

10:07am bus from Buchanan Street gets you to the Glengoyne Distillery just before 11am. We were aware of a possible path up through or past the Distillery itself but instead followed the guide from Walk Highlands. This takes you slightly North of the Distillery and past the small house settlement,,up the path marked Private (parking). Defined drive/road up to the trees, couple of twists then take the right hand fork. As you come out at the bridge, there's an amazing natural flume where the stream drops down and take a sharp left turn down under the bridge,,exposing the yellow stone beneath, now worn smooth after countless years of watery sculpting.
DSCN1558.JPG
Natural flume at the Glengoyne Aqua Park

Follow the track round to the right then straight up through the trees to the left, all this does is to cut out a left hand sweep of the track,,slightly tougher cardio workout. Carry on up towards the bottom of the house/garden and a newish farm gate can be seen to the right. Go through the gate, to the end of the thin pines, then up to the left. A few muddy footprints do a path make! (apparently) cross a small ditch and on towards Dumgoyne,,cant really miss it at this point.
DSCN1561.JPG
First view up to Dumgoyne after the pine trees
its right in front of you!

You reach a small burn between two fences, each crossed by a style.
DSCN1565.JPG
Always knew Margaret had style/stile,,(see what I did there? did ya? )

Fair bit of snow around and the path can easily be followed up the steep rocky West face of this volcanic plug,,found some of the bubble filled rocks that hint at the hot volcanic activity in the area soooo looooooonngggg ago. The path is a steep climb so its heads down, get on with it and stop to admire the views,,often!. About two thirds of the way up, you have the choice of going straight up or following a less strenuous route to the right which takes you easily up to the summit. We had a fantastic view, 360 degrees and snow on any ground over a couple of hundred feet for miles around.
DSCN1567.JPG
Ben Lomond and the Arrochar Alps to the North
DSCN1571.JPG
Atop Dumgoyne
DSCN1573.JPG
View to the North

The directions we had from the site, note the steep crags to the East, a fell runner pointed out a less steep descent slightly to the North. Now, I know Margaret wont mind me telling you of her struggle to negotiate this route. Having had a kick in the confidence last Autumn in the Red Cuillin, she was naturally a bit wary of any steep descent. Snow covered as it was,,the underlying ground was a bit of an unknown, so stick in hand,,she made her way down. For some reason,, I found an altogether more gung-ho approach and just trotted down, zig zagging as I went. Only one or two slides but the ground was soft and the snow powdery, so was a bit of a dawdle. You dont need to go all the way down before meeting a path/shelf off to the right and can see where this meets up with the paths to the left, back to Glengoyne or off the right, where we headed towards Earls Seat.
DSCN1575.JPG
Margaret trying to get down without landing on her bum!
Got my own stick out at this point as the very soft ground easily gave way under my left foot.

Passing over the dip between Dumgoyne and the start of the Campsie Fells to the East, we had seen 2 hardy fell runners and some other walkers. It was a cold day but barely any wind so no need for windproofs and the exertions of the steep climb had built up quite a heat. So, hats and gloves were off while walking and back on when we stopped. We had taken our time with lots of stops to admire the views, take pictures and generally be girls and chat a lot, so we decided to get our heads down and get straight up to the top of Garloch Hill. We checked our bearings at the old ruined building,,barely visible above the snow.
DSCN1591.JPG
In my wee bothy, what a view from the lounge!
then carried on up the slopes.
DSCN1577.JPG
Towards Earls Seat

This route in the summer or in warmer conditions would be pretty boggy but the ice etc kept the ground pretty much hard/crunchy underfoot. One or two muddy/boggy stretches but we managed to jump over them in a few leaps. The snow itself was fairly dry so we didnt even bother with our gaters.
IMG01490-20120128-1253.jpg
Doon in one piece
DSCN1584.JPG
Cloud covered Dumgoyne from above (east)

We could now see Earls Seat off to the right and estimated the circular route to it, then off to the North and back would easily take us 1.5 hrs in these snowy conditions so, taking into consideration the time of day, we prob only had 2-2.5 hrs daylight left and we would probably not get back before sundown,,we opted to head North East to Bell Craig to stop for some lunch. The onward route to Earls Seat from here is off to the right to the Clachertyfarlie Knowes. We could see the route but were happy with our decision to enjoy the walk instead of rushing to simply get to a known point. (does that make sense to those peeps who just head out to "get there"?)
IMG01501-20120128-1441.jpg
Think shes trying to ski with no skis and 1 pole

We started back West and had earlier seen what looked like snow moving in below us from the South. On reaching the ground overlooking Dumgoyne, this turned out to be nothing more than low cloud and although not windy, it seemed to swirl over and round Dumgoyne and the watery January sun, so white and low in the sky, gave off an eerie light around the peak.
DSCN1593.JPG
Spooky
Some small figures on top looked very solitary.
DSCN1592.JPG
2 very small people

Unless of course you are particularly keen,, you don't revisit Dumgoyne on the return leg, but skirt to the North and back to the double fences with stiles. We took a path down that we had seen others coming up, this indeed, as first thought, brought us to the field south of the Distillery, nice and handy for the bus stop, but with half an hour to spare, we nipped (scuse the pun) into the visitors shop for a look.
DSCN1596.JPG
Barrel of laughs me!
DSCN1594.JPG
The Glengoyne Distillery
Treated myself to 2 very cool whisky glasses,,touch of the light bulb shape and very easy on the hand. The very friendly staff were great and as we had just climbed the hill and were a bit cold, they kindly offered us a wee dram of the hard stuff. So, purchase in one hand and a shot glass with 10yr old Glengoyne in the other, I was a happy gal. Off we went to the bus stop to enjoy our wee malt.
DSCN1597.JPG
One for the road

IMG01502-20120128-1442.jpg
Dumgoyne with the sun setting to the west

Dumgoyne is a wee hillock that you see, comment on etc on the way past,,whether on the road or on the West Highland Way, which passes by the Distillery on a long flat stretch. Its a challenge of a climb, vertical with a scramble and is a spectacular view point on a day like this. It can be easy to rule out the smaller, apparently less challenging walks and hills but you miss out on some lovely days, so, set your sights a bit lower and soak up the surroundings. Fantastic.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by GillC on Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Re: Dumgoyne and a wee bit further

Postby snodland » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:40 pm

Hello GillC
Whenever I go up Dumgoyne, I look for a path that goes back down towards Killearn and try to pick up the bus from there. I wonder if you might have taken part of that path going to Clacharty Knowes. It makes for a good rounbd trip, and the Black Bull or whatever in Killearn is a nicer option than the visitor centre
Like the phots looking back at Dumgoyne after you had gone on some way
snodland
Munro compleatist

Munros:89   Corbetts:17
Fionas:14   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5

Postby GillC » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:59 pm

Path to Killearn would have been lost under the snow, unless we had known where it was,,think way may have struggled. Anyway, a detour involving a wee malt can never be a bad thing. Thanks for your comments. G
:)
GillC
Munro compleatist

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:18 pm

Nice report Gil and pictures - like the "spooky" one of Dumgoyne. It's such a steep wee hill and never fails to have me out of breath and cursing each step :lol:
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby GillC » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:28 pm

'tis indeed a slog up the first face. good day though and great views to next Saturdays trip to Cobbler or Nairnain,,,cant quite decide...Lots of snow on both at the moment. Ta much
GillC
Munro compleatist

Postby jonny616 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:59 pm

Did almost the same walk at the begining of the month. Steep wee bugger. Had lunch in your 'lounge' :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland