walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall na Teanga from Kilfinnan

Meall na Teanga from Kilfinnan

Postby Colin1951 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:23 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall na Teanga

Date walked: 27/01/2012

Time taken: 5.25 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Setting out at 12.45 pm on a January day guarantees use of the headtorch! Beautiful crisp sunny day for the walk down the loch and up the glen to the Bealach,only one set of footprints in the (increasingly deep) powder snow as I climbed. Reaching the bealach at 2.30, I resisted the temptation to head off into the afternoon sun on Sron a'Coire Ghaibre, turning resolutely for the increasingly chilly shade on the slopes of Meall na Teanga. Two more sets of boots joined in, slanting up until below the shallow upper corrie - where they all stopped and turned back. Looking up there was a hint of a cornice...club honour at stake, I went for it and some time later "swam" through the powdery cornice onto the summit ridge. After regaining control of heart rate, and red mist dispersed, the views were impressive with snow most of the way down to sea level and exceptionally clear air. Nevertheless it was 4.30 when I returned to the Bealach; not fancying a search in the darkness for the path down I left the Sron for another day and headed down into the gathering darkness.
Colin1951
Stravaiging

Munros:226   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland