walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Snowy,Standby Sub 2000 ( Cowal)

Snowy,Standby Sub 2000 ( Cowal)

Postby smiffysmc » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:39 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cruach an Lochain

Date walked: 28/01/2012

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 508m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Stuck at home as i was on stanby for gritting,no grit in the morning so i might as well goto work. Looking about the local hills,the sun shining on the white summits i felt robbed at not getting out. So it was half a shift then i decided to make a run for it.....but where.....a hill on my gritting route of course :D Ok i never took the gritter,salt or a plough but at least i'd know what the weather was doing :lol:

I set off up the A815 from Dunoon turning left onto the A886. I knew there was snow on the highest part of my route so at an extra 300 meters in height snow was guaranteed on the hill. Before i got to the parking spot,my phone went,it was the boss :o Hope this wasn't a call out !!!! No,it was to say there was no gritting planned for the rest of the day....the day was all mine :D

The parking place traveling from the turn off at Strachur is about 9.5kms along the road (A886),once up the hill and along the straight the parking spot is on the right hand side just as you begin to head back down the hill,at the entrance to a forestry road.

Parked in bell mouth of forestry road.

It was 13.20 by the time i left the car,weather overcast and i wasnt expecting any views as the clag was hanging about. The route follows the forestry road almost to the end,keeping left at the Y branch and heading up the side of the burn to the open hillside.

Looking back towards the main road........wheres the clag???

Onwards

Snow getting deeper

Within 30 mins i was at the turn off,it was the last burn before the end of the road. I chose this one as it's directly below the summit.

Turned off road and headed up left hand side of burn. It was quite swampy in some parts so headed into the woods and headed up the furrows between the trees on to the open hill, 200 meters from road out of the trees.

Stepping over the fence i headed stright up the hill,lookin back over the wind farm on the other side of the Glen. Might just ba able to make them out. :?

After climbing the first section of hill i headed over to the right as the hillside looked to steep in the snowy conditions.

From here it was round the corner and up the hill for the final climb to the Trig point. By the time i got up there the clag was back !!! Dam it !!

Could just make out the Lochan in the background.

Decided to have a drink and a chew of a frozen snickers,waiting to see if it would clear again. Nope. !!!
Since the day was my own, i was thinking what i could do to pass some time and see if the weather improves.

Two options.
A,build a snow man.....but i never had any buttons or a carrot for his nose,so that was out.
B,get the ice axe out and go for a slide :D . Slide it was !!!

After almost an hour of playing about in the Clag i got fed up and decided to head over to the lochan and up onto the next wee hill.

As i walked it started to clear,all that fooling about had paid off :D Looking back to the Trig point,someones made a right mess of that hill !!! You can just make out the trig point above the 3 man made streaks !!

I decided to look for a different way off the hill. I chose to head down to the fence line to where i could see there was once a gate. A wee slide,got me down in no time.

Blip of the summit in distance

Windfarm,slightly better shot.

Headed down throught the gate into the trees again,this time more open and giving some great views.

Last bit before re joining road. Once back on the forestry road it was straight down to the car.

There is a more noticeable access/exit to the hill as another option just down the road.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh,roads still perfect :lol:

Good wee walk to get my weekend fix,the snow making the scenery even better.

Cheers.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

smiffysmc
Wanderer

Munros:23   Corbetts:8
Grahams:5   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Snowy,Standby Sub 2000 ( Cowal)

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:36 pm

Really enjoyed reading your report, some good photos and glad you had a great time :D

Hope the roads were ok on the way home :lol: :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Grahams:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:156   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland