walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

circular from Kirkhope

circular from Kirkhope

Postby Tinto63 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:20 am

Fionas included on this walk: Ballencleuch Law

Donalds included on this walk: Ballencleuch Law, Scaw'd Law, Wedder Law

Date walked: 01/02/2012

Time taken: 4.75 hours

Distance: 13.3 km

Ascent: 500m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The conversation went something like this: "why don't you go for a walk on Wednesday Dear, I'm out with some friends from the Rural at lunchtime, and out to the theatre with S in the evening" When the weather is set fair who can refuse an offer like that?

Like many of you I have a list of to do hills and one of these was Shiel Dod, a hill that misses out on being a Donald by less than 10m of relative height, and one that I had missed on previous walks around Ballencleuch Law.

First thing to strike me once I had parked was i) it was still below O degrees C and ii) even at low levels there was a keen SE breeze. As a result a thicker fleece went on under the jacket and fleecy hat was worn from the off. I set off southwards on the good track that leads to Daerhead, but turned off at 969049 and headed SW up Ewe Gair and onto Shiel Dod, this was quite hard going, soft snow over springy heather, Shiel Dod did not appear to have a cairn or an identifiable top so a quick wander convinced me that I had reached the top. I knew that there was a hill road nearby and found this and made good progress SW to Wedder Law and then NW past Carsehope Middens (some wonderful names in this part of the Lowthers) and then NE onto the slopes of Scaw'd Law. Continued NE on quad bike tracks over Ballencleuch Law and Rodger Law and then down Watchman's Brae to the start point. As you can see from the attached pics the sun shone all day but the temperature remained below zero. A great day out on rolling hills.

IMG_3421.JPG
A nice example of an Oxbow on the Carsehope Burn looking towards Kirkhope and Crookburn

IMG_3424.JPG
Looking towards Shiel Dod

IMG_3435.JPG
track up to Wedder Law

IMG_3437.JPG
Scaw'd Law from Wedder Law

IMG_3445.JPG
Lowther Hill and Green Lowther from Scaw'd Law - there's that golf ball again.

My report from last Saturday was for Well Hill, at the top of the fence line in this shot.

IMG_3449.JPG
the unusual fence post cairn on Ballencleuch Law

IMG_3463.JPG
horizontal icicles on fence wire from above, Ballencleuch Law

IMG_3462.JPG
... and from below

IMG_3468.JPG
Trig point on Rodger Law looking towards Queensberry

IMG_3470.JPG
Well Hill from Rodger Law
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Re: circular from Kirkhope

Postby kevsbald » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:10 am

I like your eye for the unusual photos. Very nice. And who can refuse a wife's demands to go forth and walk?
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: circular from Kirkhope

Postby Tinto63 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:09 pm

Thanks Kevsbald. Not me, even (or is it especially) after 44 years of 'wedded bliss'!
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland