walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Character Building on Beinn Dearg

Character Building on Beinn Dearg

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:51 am

Route description: Beinn Dearg from near Blair Atholl

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Blair Atholl)

Date walked: 03/02/2012

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 30 km

Ascent: 1074m

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Oh come on ,if this report title is good enough for two doyens of Walkhighlands, it is certainly good enough for me :D :D

After a day out on Schiehallion on Monday, I was keen to get out and about again this week.

With my original plans to venture up Ben Donich going awry due to another WH member having a dodgy uncarriage, I was so pleased to be offered a chance by Rocket Ron to head up to Bridge of Tilt and take on the very fashionable Beinn Dearg.

An easy drive up the A9 saw me arriving early for our 8.30 meet up. We both agreed that we would take crampons, microspikes and ice axe, just in case we needed them.(We didn't!) And then we were off :D

Monty and Andrew both gave well detailed reports of the route and we were happy to continue just as they had. That being said, it is such an obvious path that you really can't go wrong :thumbup:

The sky was looking a lovely lovely blue and the sun was doing its best to warm our grateful backs.
P1000088.JPG
The Sun Has Got Its Hat On!!!

With the path being so good, it meant that not only could we relax and forge ahead comfortably, but that we could catch up on Ron's new life in Orkney. A self-imposed exile had seen the poor man leaving behind his many comforts of home and living in a place with initially no TV, no internet, no heating, no one in the nightclubs and a chippy that shuts at 8pm (the very time that Ron finishes work!). I must confess to phoning him and telling him to head back to Inverness. Ron, however, is made of sterner stuff and has stuck it out long enough to see his situation improve quite markedly. :D

Anyway back to the walk, after about 2hrs we were at the bothy and went in for a nosey. We were both very impressed by the condition of the exterior and interior of the building and by the kind supplies that people had left behind. As for the contents of the whisky, neither of us felt brave enough to open it and confirm whether or not it was the water of life or just someone taking the p**s! A perusal through the visitors' book read like the who's who of WH! Andrew, Jonny, Monty and now Pollyh33 and Rocket Ron. Sponsorship deal in the offing????
P1000094.JPG
A Smart Wee Bothy

P1000100(1).JPG

P1000096.JPG

Just as we were leaving, another walker arrived on his bike. He had saved himself 40 mins by using pedal power, good idea if you're short of time I suppose.
As you leave the bothy you have a fairly fast flowing icy burn to cross. We walked up a good few metres before we found a suitable spot to get over to the other bank- better to take your time here, neither of us wanted either an icy bath or a bruised behind. :(
P1000101.JPG

The path continues to be great, if a wee bit narrower from now on, and we continued to walk and talk.
P1000109.JPG

As we expected the snow got a bit deeper but only so far as our ankles so no problems at all. After approx 3.5 hours we spotted to summit cairn and congratulated ourselves on reaching the summit of a munro without any feeling of ascent whatsoever.
P1000111.JPG

As we stood about taking photos and having a bite to eat, the walker we met earlier approached and looked like he was going to go past the cairn.

'What's he doing?' I asked Ron quizically (?sp)

'Don't know' he said, 'maybe he's frightened of the dog'

'Only 1/2 mile to go now guys!' said the walking talking cyclist.

Ooooooopsies!!! We didn't even pretend to have known that!!! :lol: :lol:

After a wee giggling session we headed off for the correct summit cairn :oops: :oops:

The shelter looked smashing and we thanked our temporary companion for showing us the error of our ways.
P1000119.JPG

P1000122.JPG

Not only am I glad that we got to the correct summit but the slightly extra time at the top meant we were treated fabulous views that had been missing at the erroneous one!!!
P1000114.JPG

P1000117.JPG

Since we had just eaten we didn't hang about too long and started our rather speedy descent back down to the bothy. There is an option to take a different return path but we decided against it because the initial climb looked dangerous on a very steep icy path :( We enjoyed another visit to the bothy and did some sweeping out and rummaging about.

I should say at this point, as it had been for most of the day, that the weather was glorious. The sun was very warm and having nothing more than the occasion light breeze, the walk was an absolute joy.
P1000135.JPG

As winter walking goes or indeed any walking goes, this was perfection. The smile never left my face once. And apologies to Ron, for I must have said every two minutes- 'How fab is this????'

As for the stats. Please note you have to take my word for this. Shockaroooooonie! (Hope this is possible!!!)
Journey time -7.5 hours
Walking time- 6.5 hours.
Fantastic memories time- immeasurable :D :D
Last edited by pollyh33 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Character Building on Beinn Dearg

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:44 am

Looks like you & RR had a great day.

Good to see the views from the top,when me & JB did this we saw hee-haw(now theres a surprise)

Nice original TR title,bet they other two had thought of it.

Me & JB signed the visitors book also & did manage a wee game of darts,but seams some smelly,soap dodging barsteward has stolen it.

PS what pic are you choosing for the comp..................need to be good to beat mine "P".xx
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby monty » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:45 am

Nice title :lol: :lol: Good weather, good time "Its such a perfect day". Superb
monty

Postby rocket-ron » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:50 am

Great day out yesterday Polly 7.5 hours seamed like 2.5 hours the day went that quick. Constant conversation all the way. Including stone transmitter pillers :lol:
Sorry you had to listen to me constantly moaning how bad orkney is. :lol:
This will be the first time you have come out with me. You never went home black and blue :D
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:93
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby mrssanta » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:10 pm

looks like a fabby day out, long walk in double-quick time.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Graeme D » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:11 pm

pollyh33 wrote:With my original plans to venture up Ben Donich going awry

What's going on P? You getting all eclectic now and planning ascents of Grahams-cum-Donalds AND Corbetts???? :lol:

Nice report, and always good to see the coldest bothy in the world again. Robin and I didnae sign the book when we stayed there - we couldn't get our fingers to grip the pen! :lol:

I briefly wondered what Lucy was doing in your summit shot (my Lucy that is!) ..... then I looked more closely and saw it clearly couldn't be her..... :? :? :? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Braehead-Bagger » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:33 pm

Great report...enjoyed the read...lovely choc lab! :D
Braehead-Bagger
Munro compleatist

Munros:257   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:7   

Postby pigeon » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:39 pm

Nice one folks,still to do this ,going to try and get up there soon,weather always seems to be better on week days,need to start pulling some sickies i think :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:127
Fionas:41   Donalds:39+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:47 pm

Great report Polly and such fantastic photos :thumbup: So glad you had that brilliant weather :D

Disappointed you didn't mention what a fab day it was a lot more :lol:

Think I know that walk off by heart having read some of the previous reports :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby jonny616 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:05 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The summit cairn. When Andy & I did this we found the shelter & did'nt even see the other cairn until we were heading back. As GLW says good to see what it all looks like. Good time as well.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:01 pm

Good day for it Polly, this hill has memories for me....Bad ones :oops:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Jock McJock » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:10 pm

Nice one Polly, glad to see you got a good day for it. Nice pics too. Must admit to having a wee laugh at the cairn mix up :lol: . That bothy looks great too :)
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Postby quoman » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:43 pm

Nice on polly
A good read this report some nice pic's, as pigeon say's still to do this hill
Might give pigeon a PM to see if he fancies it. :D
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:45 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Looks like you & RR had a great day.

Good to see the views from the top,when me & JB did this we saw hee-haw(now theres a surprise)

Nice original TR title,bet they other two had thought of it.

Me & JB signed the visitors book also & did manage a wee game of darts,but seams some smelly,soap dodging barsteward has stolen it.

PS what pic are you choosing for the comp..................need to be good to beat mine "P".xx

Cheers Gammy,

Your signatures must have been in the 2011 edition!!!

As for the photo competition, I'm not submitting a pic....I don't have the talent to beat yours :lol: Very post-modern!!
Don't tell anyone but I think you're going to end up with at least two votes :shh: :shh:
pollyh33
Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:10 pm

monty wrote:Nice title :lol: :lol: Good weather, good time "Its such a perfect day". Superb

Cheers Monty. Andrew will be kicking himself for not applying copyright to his title :lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland