walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Limping up Stob Gabhar

Limping up Stob Gabhar

Postby snowdonia7 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:17 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Odhair, Stob Ghabhar

Date walked: 02/02/2012

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 1223m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Almost 5 months since our last Scotland trip Neil and I were once again heading for the munros with 2 full days to play with plus anything we could fit in on the way up and on the way back.

We decided on Tyndrum as our base as we still had plenty to do within striking distance from there.

In the weeks leading up to our date of departure I had been scouring WH for suitable routes. As usual we were hoping to get the most 'bang for our buck' so I chose a few longish routes, but taking account of the snow conditions I also had some shorter days.

Then two weeks before the trip I twisted my ankle (again) running at night (without a head-torch). It was a nasty injury, but I quickly applied the R.I.C.E. principle and it showed some good improvement. However, I never learn and less than a week after the injury I was out running again and suffered a set back that wouldn't clear up this time :( .

So with a significant limp I got up at 03.00 for the drive north. We made good progress and arrived at Crianlarich at about 09.45. Fifteen minutes later we were setting off from the A85 at the lane to Auchessan farm. Whilst getting changed we spoke to two guys who were doing the corbett.

We set off a few minutes later and headed down the lane in glorious sunshine with great views up to the peaks we would be visiting.

Auchessan farm (before we knew there was stalking ongoing).JPG
Auchessan farm before we knew we would have to go to plan B

However, as we neared the farm the two we had spoken to by the cars were walking back towards us. They informed us that there was a sign warning people to stay off the southern slopes as they were stalking in that area :cry: .

We debated whether to press on regardless, but decided to go for one of the alternate routes. I had enjoyed andrewdoggett's report of the walk from Victoria Bridge and decided that we should head there.

The only issue was that I hadn't looked at that route for some time and I would be relying on memory.

So we set off for Bridge of Orchy and down the estate road to Victoria bridge. By the time we were parked and ready to go it was now 11.00 and we weren't sure how long we would need for the route with the snow and my gammy ankle.

From the car park just to the south of the bridge we set off along the road; crossing the bridge the river had a good covering of ice.

The route then takes heads eastwards at the forest lodge (with brightly painted purple window frames). A short walk through the forestry the emerge onto a well made track following the Abhainn Shira.

Towards the green hut.JPG
Towards the green hut

At the green hut there is a less well defined path heading northwards: there were some fine views east towards Beinn an Dothaidh and Beinn Dorain.

Looking back towards Bridge of Orchy hills.JPG
Looking back to the Bridge of Orchy hills

The path was frozen in many places and uneven which started to aggravate my ankle :thumbdown: and I was keen to get onto ground that was more even underfoot.

I had forgotten that andrewdoggett's report went up Aonach Eagach and instead we decided to head for the broad and gentler southern flank of Stob Maol after tip-toeing over the ice covered rocks in the stream. Hopeful for a comedy fall I readied my camera, but Neil just about kept his balance :think:

Leaving the path heading for Stob Maol.JPG
Waiting for a comedy fall on the icy stones

This route didn't offer the smooth going my ankle was crying out for, tufty frozen grass meant my foot was continually rolling from side to side. At about 800 metres we entered the snow line and about the same point the visibility reduced and the route got steeper. Despite the freezing temperatures I was surprised to find that the snow was still fairly soft and not quite the right conditions for crampons. All that was needed was to kick steps to get good purchase; however my ankle wasn't up to kicking anything so I keenly tried to step into the steps Neil was making.

We crested to the SE of Stob Ghabhar, which left us a steep little climb to reach the summit where we paused for a quick photo and a wee nip from the hip plask.

Stob Gabhar.JPG
Me at the summit of Stob Gabhar

Neil on Stob Gabhar.JPG
Neil on Stob Gabhar

Then we headed back along our tracks in the direction of the Aonach Eagach. Heading back down the steep little section from the summit of Stob Ghabhar I got a taste of things to come as the downhill was really painful on my ankle.

The bealach before the AE narrows quite a bit and with the mist limiting visibility it had the effect of making the slopes on either side look as though they dropped away forever. Neil wasn't particularly comfortablre with the exposure and I tried to get a photo of him mincing along (a video clip wopuld have made better viewing).

Narrow section above couloir buttress.JPG
Neil a little worried on the ridge

Just as the line we were taking started to drop away we turned north and descended steeply towards Coirein Lochain which was frozen up. As we dropped below the mist the views opened northwards towards Rannoch Moor.

Above Coirein Lochan looking towards Rannoch Moor.JPG
Rannoch moor

Continue to descend now eastward to wide bealach at 668 metres before the steady pull up to Stob a Choire Odhair.

Neil heading for Stob a Choire Odhair.JPG
Neil heading for Stob a Choire Odhair

Just a quick stop at the summit for a photo and we headed off in a southerly direction.

Summit of Stob a Choire Odhair.JPG
Stob a Choire Odhair

As we dropped below the snow line we picked up the path which zig-zagged down. This was narrow with plenty of large stones (not good news for my ankle).

This path eventually meets the rough track back to the green hut, by now the sun was setting behind the hills to the west and the last rays cast a wonderful warm glow on the peaks to the east.

Last rays of afternoon sun on the Bridge of Orchy hills.JPG
Sunshine on Bridge of Orchy hills

Eventually we got back to the track along the river, which being fairly level allowed me to pick up my pace a bit so that we arrived back at the car park at 16.30 then back to Tyndrum a big meal and bed for 8.30! :eh: .
snowdonia7

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:36   

Re: Limping up Stob Gabhar

Postby skuk007 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:55 pm

Nice report and pics, looks freezing still, brrr.
Shame about the late start, the last thing you want to do when trying to walk with a dodgy injury is to have to pick up the pace to ensure you finish in daylight, hope it didn't spoil your day.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby pigeon » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:29 pm

Well done on getting up these 2 with your dodgy ankle.Great hills these ,imagine they would be quite tough at this time of year,looks like you timed it perfect :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby snowdonia7 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:40 pm

pigeon wrote:Well done on getting up these 2 with your dodgy ankle.Great hills these ,imagine they would be quite tough at this time of year,looks like you timed it perfect :thumbup:

Yes, the snow (and my ankle) meant we were a lot slower than we would normally have been or is that because I'm getting older as well :D

Shame we missed the views I've seen in other reports as we probably won't get another trip to Scotland before June :(
snowdonia7

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:36   

Postby pigeon » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:09 pm

Aye was a shame about the clag at the top,looked like a crackin' day as you set off as well.2 of my favourite hills these(so far anyway) 8)
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland