walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stronend - Sub 2 near Kippen

Stronend - Sub 2 near Kippen

Postby 2dalmatians » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:55 pm

Route description: Carleatheran and Stronend, near Kippen

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Stronend

Date walked: 05/02/2012

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 13.4 km

Ascent: 435m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Given the uncertainty of the weather this weekend I decided to stay close to home. This walk starts about 30 minutes walk from our house however to avoid the trudge through local farms I decided to park up at the spot mentioned in the WH report.

Dasiy came along this time as I knew there would be very few if any other walkers and no dogs to have a barney with! The path for the first half of the walk is farm tracks which then moves onto an off road track through the heather/bracken. Unfortunately the weather was pretty poor so the pics arent up to much. On a clear day you can see amongst others Ben Lomond, Ben More, Stobinnien, Ben Ledi, Ben Vorlich, Stuc A Chroin, Dumyat and even the Wallace Monument/Stirling Castle.

Still a good leg stretch and another summit photie for the scrap book :)

The Gargunnock Hills are a great way to start Hillwalking, Nice easy slopes and civilisation fairly close by, though in poor weather still easy to get lost - trust me!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

7.JPG
walk start - daisy ready to go!

5.JPG
Looking up to hill plateau - rightside

8.JPG
windfarm - towards lennoxtown

9.JPG
Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin covered in the white stuff!

2.JPG
The onyl rock on the route except the cairn itself!! think this might be an earth geocache?

4.JPG
The summit - Daisy beat me to it as usual!
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland