walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Ghaordaidh. Snowy choice.

Meall Ghaordaidh. Snowy choice.

Postby smiffysmc » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:00 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Ghaordaidh

Date walked: 05/02/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 895m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well it was the weekend of freedom yet again,so after looking at our options we decied upon Meall Ghaordaidh after reading a few recent WH reports. The reason being we knew there would be some snow and possibly ice on the high tops,so we opted for something not to taxing.......well compared to the hike of Beinn Bhuidhe two weeks ago. :shock:

Set off from the house at 6am,picking up Martin 'Mears' before leaving town. 1hr 40mins we were turning off main road heading to the parking layby for the hill,although we did miss the turn off the first time :? It had been raining and when this hit the cold road it had turned to ice.........on with the 4wd!! Arriving at the parking area,there was already one car there,the occupants gettin ready to head off. Saying hello,we started to get ready. The two fellow walkers headed off for the hill,skating on the ice and walking on the verge to avoid the worst.......would i need the spikes on to get along the main road ?? :lol:

The weather had cleared slightly and the sky was looking great,something we're not used to.

Off we went along the road and throught the gate onto the start of the walk. The ground was solid underfoot but the farm track was iced up,in fact the grass was quite slidy as well with the frozen rain. We could see the other two just heading over the brow of the hill above the style and it wasn't long till we were at the snow line.

Posing 'Mears'

Continuing up the hill we had the others back in our sights again. The snow had an icy crust but more traction than the icy path below the snowline.

The surrounding hills looked great. We eventually cought up with the others stopping for a chat. They'd been up two weeks before but were forced back due to the weather conditions,so today it WAS getting ticked off the list. They were also users of the WH website 8)

We continued on till we could see our destination,another thing we're not used to,actually seing something :lol:

To the right,the Clag was begining to blow in. :( But we're glad to be seeing anything.

Onwards and upwards till we started to head up the steeper section where the rocks start. They looked impressive with their winter coat on. The vegitation not to be outdone, had joined in as well. Looking back we could now see three people behind us. The boys had been joined by a solo walker.

We wound our way up and round the hill,through drifts. The snow was soft and deep so no need for the crampons. The Clag had moved in,there was even a bit of light snow when we got the top. The trig point was impressive,as seen in previous reports. We sat down within the wall to get some shelter from the element to enjoy a bite to eat and get the waterproofs on. For me,not for the snow......but so i could slide on some of the sections on the descent :D

We started heading back down,meeting the others just before the summit. Found out the solo walker was Fudgie who'd been up before but due to the icy road at another area of the Lawers range gave up trying to coax his car up the slippery tarmac. He dicided to find some where else for his hill fix.

Heading back down the hill with the others not to far behind us,the snow starting to get heavier and the flakes bigger. Before turning to sleet, as we dropped height back to the track.

3 dots on the landscape.

Just into the snow line,we met a large group just heading up,so a brief talk to a few and we headed off the hill.
The others had headed off the hill,cutting accross,so we all arrived back at the cars at same time.

Another great day out and met more WH members on the hill,good times. :D
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Meall Ghaordaidh. Snowy choice.

Postby Fudgie » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:18 pm

It was good to meet you smiffy. Any frustration at not getting on to Lawers (the ice on the road was ridiculous) was eradicated by making it to the summit of this one. It wasn't anywhere near as windy as the last time but it wasn't as clear although that didn't spoil my enjoyment of it and it won't be the last time I'm up it. I had a feeling we would beat you down as I took the two lads down a shorter route :D

i still can't believe how close that car parked to you :shock:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby smiffysmc » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:54 pm

Aye it took about 5 shunts to get out that space. It was actually parked under my spare wheel on back door. It was like a scene from austin powers tryin to turn his buggy in the alley way. Ha.
Luckily the guy in front had left 2ft. You get many pics?
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Postby Fudgie » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:07 am

smiffysmc wrote:Aye it took about 5 shunts to get out that space. It was actually parked under my spare wheel on back door. It was like a scene from austin powers tryin to turn his buggy in the alley way. Ha.
Luckily the guy in front had left 2ft. You get many pics?

I took a few but only one or two are decent. If you don't mind I'll stick them up in this thread later when I get home from work.

I'm now laughing at the though of you doing an Austin Powers :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby quoman » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:40 am

Hi Smiffy

good report there and nice pic's, good to meet fellow WH members also i brt you were cursing the guy that blocked you in :lol: :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby smiffysmc » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:21 pm

This is what I was lookin for :D

smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland