walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Corranaich and Meall a'Choire Leith

Meall Corranaich and Meall a'Choire Leith

Postby Meatball » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:10 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall a' Choire Lèith, Meall Corranaich

Date walked: 06/02/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So this is my first report, be gentle please!

So it starts the night before, preparing my kit, making sure I haven't missed anything even the alarm is set (I like to be at the hill for sunrise at this time of the year). The problem is, I can't be bothered!

Anyway, I go to bed, I'll feel better in the morning?

Eh no! A night of being unwell had followed but I force myself out the door at 0700hrs, an hour late (I allowed myself an extra hour in bed to make up for the frequent wake ups). The first motorway is crawling (the fog is to blame I assume?) but that will clear after the city? Eh no, the second motorway is crawling too, sigh! Patience! It's stop/start all the way to Stirling but I make progress after that (and almost binned the car on some ice, dum dum).

So I get to the cairn at the end of Lochan na Lairige about 0930hrs but the road is sheet ice and now starting to melt as the sun is hitting it. So I decide that the ice will only get more slippery/wet as the day goes on so I move back to the NTC end of the range as that has been cleared (a little).

So my plan has changed and I'm late, is this a sign? I've already done Meall Corranaich but need Meall a'Choire Leith to complete the set up this way. Hey ho, onwards and upwards!

So I leave the car at 1030hrs and decide to head straight up the snow covered south ridge of Meall Corranaich and blaze my own trail. It's hard going but I get nice views of Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers as well as Meall nan Tarmachan. It is so clear that I get a great view of the Crianlarich hills and up to Ben Nevis etc. It was during a breather that I saw a fairly small (10m x 15m) slab of wet snow let go and slide past me (about 15m away). That would have been a pain to get caught in that. Anyhoo, onwards!

My legs were really heavy and starting to cramp (I assume that was to do with a night of sickness) so I was drinking lots during my photo stops (too often for my liking).

DSC00630.JPG

Just below the summit I saw that I wan't alone and there was a scattered group of 3 following me up.
DSC00628.JPG

Maybe they were doing the same double as me? That could be a free taxi back to my car? Hmmmmm....

So on to the summit, a few pics
DSC00632.JPG

and took a compass bearing (340) of a wall/cliff on a distant mountain that interested me.
DSC00637.JPG

Anyone got any guesses?

Do I now wait for the group behind or go on myself? The time was 1230, my turnaround time was 1400hrs, bummer, onwards myself it is...
DSC00639.JPG

Meall a'Choire Leith isn't much to look at but the surrounds are magic, as was the weather! I should point out that the sky was cloudless and the sun was beating down relentlessly ( I didn't even have gloves on....and my hands are ALWAYS cold!). It was about then that I put on my goggles, to save my eyes from the glare, my buff, to save by nose from getting burnt and my hood to save my head from the sun. I noticed that I was warm, very warm (my goggles were full of condensation) and I was beginning to stagger...."here we go again" I thought. I stop to get some pics and take on more water. Disaster the hydration bladder has run dry.

I wobble my way up Meall a'Choire Leith to a rather bland summit dome, take some pics, eat some snow, confirm that I am on the summit (map/gps) and plot my way out.
DSC00642.JPG

Its now 1330hrs and the group behind are now leaving the first summit, they'll be cutting it fine if they are following me!

Anyhoo, on with the downward stagger and slide (all to often). I should have brought my board! It all goes okay, despite the baking heat and goggles now full of water until I'm about 150m from the road when my left foot punches through some ice and I end up hip deep in a very cold, wet and foul smelling bog. It takes a while to remove myself from that and I trudge on (reeking to high heavens) to the road.
That is me back at my first intended start point. However, my car is a decent hike away at the other end of the lochan. Joy! At least I'm finally in the shade!

I wander along the road (via the lochan, to clean of my left leg and boot which had filled with stinking bog water) and see no sign of a friendly car/taxi....hey ho, it is called WALK highland I suppose!
DSC00648.JPG

I also notice that there has been a big thaw through today.
DSC00649.JPG

So I drive home via Loch Lomondside and see some pretty sights....
DSC00652.JPG

and nearly get smashed by two lorries who's drivers are using mobile phones, magic.

So there ends todays epic, home at 1800hrs.

I think I prefer my bland-er walks with Del! haha. Howwever I did get to eat a whole chocolate bar myself!
DSC00653.JPG

I wonder if my teeth will fall out now?

Thanks for bearing with me, I'll go back to being a lurker!
Last edited by Meatball on Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Meall Corranaich and Meall a'Choire Leith

Postby mrssanta » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:20 pm

I enjoyed that, sad about the bog in the boot though, bet the lochan was cold brr
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Del246 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:38 pm

Great first report mate. Pictures are awesome especially of The Ben. So wish I had been there to see you in the bog, I might of got a prize for that pic ! ( only joking ) Hope you kept me some of that chocolate since you demolished mine last week ;-)
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby metafor » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:40 pm

Cracking photo's meatball!!!!!!!!! I am Sooooooooooo jealous! Done these two from the Lawers centre about a year and a half ago with ma wee boy , was supposed to be good weather? Clag rolled in once we were a short distance up and stayed until we were heading back to the lawers car park. nuff said!
Attachments
08-08-2009 006.jpg
Meall Corranaich and Meall a'choire Leith
metafor
Mountain Walker

Munros:174   

Postby Meatball » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:41 pm

Cheers folks,
The bog actually didn't bother me that much, it happen! Just left me further chores when I got home and got me a chilly dip into the Lochan!
Wicked cramp today!
Meatball

Postby Ranger » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:37 pm

The distant mountain could be Ben Alder
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Fudgie » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:56 pm

That was a good read. You had some great weather too.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:16 pm

Crackin' first report Campbell :thumbup:

Told you that you would get sunshine on Leith 8) 8)

PS I'm surprised big gumsie didn't pull you up for your times!! :lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2

Postby Meatball » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:21 pm

Ranger, I think you may be right, having now looked at a map, my own guess was miles out.
Polly, once the auld yin can toast me up a hill then he can slag me! Lol.
Only kidding Del, bring on the banter! Saturday would be a good day for a dive...hehe
Meatball

Postby 2dalmatians » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:23 pm

Great first report Campbell! These two are on my next to do list or else or possibly Beinn Bhuide a bit further up the road. Loved the last pic too :lol: made a dimebar cheesecake last weekend - what a flavour!!! :lol: :lol:
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Del246 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:35 pm

Thats it, gang up on Del !! Gumsie ? That cuts Polly :lol: And Campbell, I believe I was first on the summits of Beinn a` Chochuill and Beinn Eunaich :lol:
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1

Postby Eskimo » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:38 pm

Ye that might have been the same bog I was waste deep in! Your lucky you got out, I needed to be dragged out!

You got a cracking day compared to us!
Eskimo

Munros:116   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:13   

Postby Meatball » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:43 pm

Haha
Meatball

Postby Eskimo » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:48 pm

On a tastier subject - How ridiculously awesome is Milka!?
Eskimo

Munros:116   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:13   

Postby Meatball » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:01 am

It's bad, which makes it so good!
Meatball

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland