walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

frozen BEN VRACKIE

frozen BEN VRACKIE

Postby blueyed » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:16 pm

Route description: Ben Vrackie, near Pitlochry

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Vrackie

Date walked: 05/02/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

as the weather forecast was promising and we havent been to the hills for quite a while, we decided to have a wee, warm up walk up to ben vrackie.
i must say we were really desperate to have a trip finally, the more we welcomed forecast that said that the cloud base will be well over 800m, great :)
we left waking up to sunshine edinburgh and drove up north. as soon as we reached dunkeld strange thing happened -sunshine disappeared and gave place to grey mist! well, we were in kind of a dip, i thought, it will clear up, definitely...
pitlochry was a wee bit better but as soon as we approached moulin the greyness was everywhere around. after a short slide up the frozen road we got to the even more frozen car park. for a minute i was quite worried how on earth am i going to get out of there! but i decided to leave worries for later :)

path going from the car park to the moorland was at first all covered in ice. i really struggled going up as my feet were absolutely out of control :shock: but then it got better and after passing the bridge and the gate our path was just nice and fresh-snowy :)

nice way up, not too wet, not too deep, not too icy :)

the only disappointment was the visibility. clouds didnt seem to have read the forecast (!!!!) and whole time ben vrackie was more or less covered in misty, wet, foggy, grey cap.

to be honest from the morning it was getting only worse and worse. at first i hoped it might clear up little bit, but soon i gave up all hopes.

i tried to take some pics, but everything just seemed to be a big, grey, shapeless. actually, apart from the ones which we appear on, pictures seem to be black & white, for example this one. it's a full colour picture :)

oh, and here is the person to blame for leaving SUNNY edinburgh for the sake of greyness, me :)

as i can see from the amount of reports from this walk and also what i saw on the day - ben vrackie has been a very popular destination recently. we met dozens of people, honestly. well, apart from the lack of visibility the day was nice - very quiet wind-wise, very enjoyable. but the crowds of people which started walking up the hill (many of then came back after checking the conditions higher up) just made the path slipery and more difficult to follow. i guess for going up it was ok, going up is always easier, but for going down we actually wore the crampons. few people just slid down on their bottoms.

that's before we entered the cloud

and that's after we entered the cloud

frozen rocks

just before the summit, snow got deeper and more frozen and unfortunately wee bit more difficult to walk on as it wasnt hard enough to stand our weight.

few summit pictures:

frozen summit post

and all we could do was just imagining the views we had when we visited ben vrackie last time...

ehhh..... :lol:

for more pictures click HERE: http://www.around-scotland.blogspot.com/2012/02/frozen-ben-vrackie.html
Attachments
DSC_0551.jpg
imagine this....
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Re: frozen BEN VRACKIE

Postby luckyguy68 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:53 pm

Interestingly i could have echoed the same report two days later (see mine, mental!!). I went and bought microspikes after going out as i was like the silver surfer gliding down the hill, Think you got some better snaps than me, Good report :thumbup:
luckyguy68
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   

Re: frozen BEN VRACKIE

Postby quoman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:50 am

Nice report Blueyed
the photo's are fine,and its better to do something than sit in the house :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland