walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

To The Brack and beyond

To The Brack and beyond

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:26 am

Route description: The Brack and Cnoc Còinnich , Ardgartan

Corbetts included on this walk: The Brack

Date walked: 10/02/2012

Time taken: 6.3 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We started the walk from Ardgartan following the track to Coilessan Glen from where we made our way up to The Brack. This was without doubt the hardest hill i have did to date navigation wise. The weather was poor with virtually no visibility, although not cold with a little drizzle. Once on the ridge we realised it was not going to be easy to get to the summit as it's no straighforward ridge with a few humps to negotiate. At this point Kim was quite rightly concerned, although i was quietly confident we were heading in the right direction as i checked the compass.We carried on and eventually reached the summit. Once at the summit we decided to try retrace our steps backdown, not an easy task as we were to find out. In hindsight we should have headed down north east from the summit. Anyway we took a baring from the summit and headed down, it was here i made the error of not continuely checking the compass. We were both convinced we were heading the right way and as we were going downwards we continued. Once down we got to a track, a track i didn't recognise on the map and as we were unsure as to where we were at this point we had no choice but to follow the track down. Once lower down we could see a town, Kim asked if it was Arrochar and i replied "i don't think so". It was then i knew we had came down the wrong side of the hill. Once at the road i flagged down a passing car to ask our exact location and was informed by three lovely Glasgow ladies that the town was Lochgoilhead. I informed them of our situation and thanked them for their help. We now had a choice to make, hitch it back along the B839 or head to Lochgoilhead and take the walk through the Glen. We decided to hitch and within a few minutes a car stopped, the car with the Glasgow ladies offering us a lift Back to Ardgarten. We could not thank them enough as they had just driven up the road on their way to Lochgoilhead. We were back at the car just after 5pm and were so grateful for their kindness, a big thankyou again to them once again :thumbup: I made errors on this walk, the biggest one on the way down by not checking the compass which i will learn from. The one thing i'm glad i did do was flag down that car as it was a long long walk back.

P1020318.JPG
The track up

P1020319.JPG
Where the track splits

P1020321.JPG
Poor visibility on way up

P1020322.JPG
And again

P1020323.JPG
Lunch stop

P1020324.JPG
Kim on way up

P1020326.JPG
Kim leads the way

P1020327.JPG
Almost at summit

P1020328.JPG
Me at the summit
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: To The Brack and beyond

Postby quoman » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:38 am

That was some detour, had a look on the map bloody hell you would have some walk back if it wasnt for the lift back.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:43 am

quoman wrote:That was some detour, had a look on the map bloody hell you would have some walk back if it wasnt for the lift back.

Yeah we can't believe how lucky we were :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:49 pm

Oh Johnny,

That walk back could have ended up being a rubbish end to a dreichy keechy day on the hills :( :(

As well as being grateful for a lift back, I would just have been grateful to seeing some kind of civilisation after going a wee bit awry with the navigation!!!! :D

Good to see Kim out and about, at least I think it was KIm!!! :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Collaciotach » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:55 pm

Dhia you have my sympathies a bhalaich :) no harm done and im trying not to :lol: .... at the thought of the ear bashing your good lady may have given you :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby daveh » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:12 pm

That was some walk and that ridge is a tricky one in poor vis.Good move getting the lift back :D
daveh
Stravaiging

Munros:72   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:16

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:59 am

Thanks all. Civilisation saved me from the ear bashing even though it was at least a 10 mile road walk back to the car :lol: . Kim was just so relieved to get off that hill that day as it was the most uncomfortable walk she's ever done. We can laugh about it due to the fact we got lucky and as i put it to KIm, at least we made the summit which is the main thing :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby ChrisW » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:45 pm

Fantastic tale of 'almost woe' JC :lol: that walk back would have been murder..or would have been a taxi in my case :lol: like you say mate....at least you made the summit :wink: :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby DaddyP » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:33 pm

I made the same mistake and ended up having to phone the missus to come pick my mate and I up from the hotel in the goil!
DaddyP

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland