walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Whiteout at Drumochter

Whiteout at Drumochter

Postby fipriestley » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:17 am

Route description: Càrn na Caim and A'Bhuidheanach Bheag, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: A' Bhuidheanach Bheag, Càrn na Caim

Date walked: 11/02/2012

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Met up with Spiderwebb and Scoob999 for this one, finishing off the Drumochter set for me :)

Mist moved around as we began the climb, causing the views behind to come and go as we headed up the path to the quarry .
IMAG0719.jpg

Once we branched off to Carn na Caim the mist stayed down until the final descent off A' Bhuidheanach Bheag. The hills were relatively gentle climbs but featureless and at times with no visibility. No wind at all today so it was quite a strange, disorienting feeling when ground and sky merged to make a white bubble :?

Spider and Scoob each had a GPS, map and compass.. so I decided I didn't need to take out my map and compass too - these alone wouldn't have helped in these conditions anyway.
IMAG0729.jpg
Checking navigation in whiteout

Still en route to the first summit, we slowed down as we neared a potential cornice. Glad of the boys' experience here as I'm not sure I would have picked up on the warning signs and might just have walked right off there! Instead of taking the fairly short but very steep descent here we walked around to miss it. On the way back we could see this cornice more clearly, and Spider climbed straight up it :o
IMAG0728.jpg
camera ready in case this became an action shot!
IMAG0731.jpg
headed around the cornice, into whiteout
IMAG0745.jpg
view of cornice on the way back down

IMAG0734.jpg
patterns in ice, nearing a cairn - not far to go now!
IMAG0737.jpg
first summit begins to appear on the faint horizon

Moving on to the second summit there were plenty of footprints - didn't pass all that many people though and saw just one hare on the final descent.
IMAG0733.jpg
Hare today gone tomorrow :D
IMAG0751.jpg
summit must be this way!

Came down from A' Bhuidheanach Bheag rather than retracing steps back to the quarry, having cleverly placed a car at each end of our route :) Descent was fairly steep and it took some time for the senses to return to normal once we could see further ahead - what first appeared to be a gully off to the side was really a closer hillside, and when we could see the A9 again it initially looked like there was a big dip then climb up to reach the road when this was actually just a steep descent all the way finishing with a slight flat :?

Given the lack of features on these hills I'm glad I was there in these conditions - had a good laugh today too :D
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Whiteout at Drumochter

Postby scoob999 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:27 am

Good report again FI
I really enjoyed yesterday, it was a good laugh :D I went back and done Meall Chuaich today
There was blue skies all around, except at Drumochter :( nevermind :lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:38 am

Great report Fi and a very useful one too. :D

I have still to go back to A' Bhuidheanach Bheag and was thinking of heading straight up from the road rather than go past the quarry again. Good to know that it is a viable option, although perhaps a steep one :(

Cheers

P X
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby fipriestley » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:33 am

scoob999 wrote: I went back and done Meall Chuaich today

Well done! Glad you got there even if it wasn't the best weather - I found the blue skies in Angus :D

pollyh33 wrote:I have still to go back to A' Bhuidheanach Bheag and was thinking of heading straight up from the road rather than go past the quarry again. Good to know that it is a viable option, although perhaps a steep one :(

Hi Polly, we passed 3 people on skis near the top of this hill - they'd come up this way! :shock:
fipriestley
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:77
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:3   

Postby quoman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:21 pm

Good report again Fi
shame about the views :( i had a cracking day yesterday up glenshee.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby AlisonFox66 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:33 pm

rather similar views to the ones we got near Langholm on Saturday :D
AlisonFox66
Ambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:497   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   

Postby monty » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:59 pm

Good report. Well done in the conditions. Its always disorienting in the clag but that takes the biscuit :D
monty

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland