walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cooks Cairn

Cooks Cairn

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:01 am

Route description: Cook's Cairn and Corryhabbie Hill from Allanreid

Grahams included on this walk: Cook's Cairn

Date walked: 12/02/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 485m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Turn off the B9008 just N of Tomnavoulin - signpost to Tombae.
The tamac'd road ends at the car park - can take about 10 cars depending on the parking discipline.
The route is marked by blue arrows down by the river. Turn left along the W bank of the Livet at the first bridge. There was a lot of gutters along this way, as the farmer has been moving his sheep from field to field. Cross the second bridge and follow the track on the E bank of the Livet to Suie, an unoccupied shepherds cottage. I left my bike in the stables and walked up the right fork on the track to Blackwater. A quadbike track branches left again up to the summit of Cooks Cairn. Following it all the way avoids a wee peat hag near the summit.
On the way down, I found that instead of a whizz down the glen on my bike, the recent frost had turned the track's top couple of inches into a layer of porridge, so had to walk down with my bike most of the way as I didn't have the energy to plough through the porridge! Another lesson learned - as they say.
Good view of Mortons way on Corriehabbie Hill and unfortunately, the eyesore ofwhite fans adorning the hills to the north.
An Eyesore of wind turbines.JPG
An Eyesore of wind turbines

Mortons way on Corryhabbie Hill from Cooks Cairn.JPG
Mortons way on Corryhabbie Hill from Cooks Cairn

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Gordon Ballantyne on Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Grahams:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

Re: Cooks Cairn

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:18 am

Hi Gordon,

Handy wee report if you like getting out and about on your bike :thumbup:

Pity you couldn't use it as much as you liked but better to be safe than sorry :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Grahams:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland