walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buachaille Etive Mor

Buachaille Etive Mor

by Frogwell » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:28 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 03/02/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Buachaille Etive Mor

Postby mountain thyme » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:13 pm

smashing pictures.. really stunning! Ges a loan of your camera for my last 6 munros :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Louise » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:51 pm

Thanks for the laugh and sharing great photos. Awesome

Not sure about the abusing the poor blackbird though lol - mind you I did the same when I found him in my car boot a couple of weeks ago. Seems like he's the resident traffic warden of the layby :lol: :lol:
Louise
Hill Bagger

Munros:91   Corbetts:11
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:10   

Postby jonny616 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:13 am

Love the Buachaille & never tire of seeing pics of it 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Frogwell » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:21 am

Thanks for all the comments folks :)

jakeyboy wrote:Fantastic photos as always! Great report gets the old thumbs up from me. This is my current burning ambition, to climb Buachaille Etive Mor this year. I'm too chicken to climb it in snow, so It'll have to be a little later in the year, and due to my relative inexperience, I'll have to have someone with me. I just hope my pictures do it the justice yours have. Fantastic, just fantastic. Well done! :D :D
I don't think there are any parts of the walk that would give any great difficulty in non-snow conditions. Steep on the final ascent yes, but care and common sense will see you through the walk with no trouble at all. That said, you'd have no trouble finding a partner to go with you - the views ate ten times better than my pictures show.

kevsbald wrote:The photo with the tiny climber is immense. Really enjoyed your report - I tend to a 'Woohoo' if I top out with some sunshine - happens about 3 times a year. One of the best WOTM contenders I've seen on here.
I caught up with that guy half an hour later, he was actually average size. Ever seen Father Ted? :)

starrynights wrote:Haven't been on WH for a while, due to a nasty chest bug that won't b****r off. Reading everyones reports and looking at their fantastic photos, while being unable to walk 10 feet without wheezing is making me green with envy :mrgreen: (that's me ... except I'm a Miss) However, risked coming on here today and was pleased to see a 'Frogwell' report. That will cheer me up I thought!! But it was all seeming a bit tame and a tad despondent ... until I reached this gem ...
Frogwell wrote:.... Unless of course there's anyone else around, in which case I remain composed and feign slightly disappointed disinterest.

Thankyou FW, you never cease to make me lol.
Mr Chubby's a bit of a looker :shock:

Oh, and your photos are ok I guess :sick: :sick: ... as usual 8)

Hope your chest clears up soon. Should try a honey, cinnamon and lemon mix. It won't do any good, but at least when people tell you to try a honey, cinnamon and lemon mix you can tell them that you've already tried and it did no good.
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:265   Corbetts:100
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:42 am

starrynights wrote:Haven't been on WH for a while, due to a nasty chest bug that won't b****r off.

I've had the same. I'm treating it with rum and whisky, sometimes in the same glass. As ship's medical officer I could come round and rub Vix on your chest :D :D :D :shock: ? A bit if exercise to get the lungs deep breathing would help, but with the weather the way it is, you don't want to go out and risk making it worse.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby smiffysmc » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:07 pm

I'm sure the Blackbird was 'big boned' as supposed to ' chubby'. :lol:

Inspirational photos. Scotland at its best !!
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Gable Gable End » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:47 pm

wonderful stuff Frogwell :D
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby starrynights » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:28 pm

Frogwell wrote:Hope your chest clears up soon. Should try a honey, cinnamon and lemon mix. It won't do any good, but at least when people tell you to try a honey, cinnamon and lemon mix you can tell them that you've already tried and it did no good.

Thanks FW. I will give that a try, only I don't like honey, or cinnamon....guess I'll be having a lemon mix. :( Actually, I have made my own concoction: in a tall glass I add Beechams lemon powder, juice of a whole lemon and a good slug of whisky, top up with hot water - then mix in antibiotics and prednisolone, and sip at my leezure. Hope my GP doesn't read this. :shock: (Truly class photographs FW. :clap:)

Caberfeidh wrote:As ship's medical officer I could come round and rub Vix on your chest :D :D :D :shock: ?

A very generous offer Caberfeidh, sadly I'm allergic to Vix. Damn!!!! :lol:

smiffysmc wrote:I'm sure the Blackbird was 'big boned' as supposed to ' chubby'. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Gimme a big boned blackbird any day :D
starrynights
Munro compleatist

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:51 am

starrynights wrote: Gimme a big boned blackbird any day :D

I"ll 2nd that!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby mountainstar » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:23 am

Great pictures on a fabulous day....I should know because I was also on the Buachaille that day.
After leaving the car park at 9.15 am we did Curved Ridge and were on the summit around 1.15pm, you were probably already along the ridge by then. We only saw about 6 others around and about that day.
My TR will follow when I have the time.
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby starrynights » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:45 am

gammy leg walker wrote:
starrynights wrote: Gimme a big boned blackbird any day :D

I"ll 2nd that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol:
I was referring to the male feathered kind Gammy!!!!!
starrynights
Munro compleatist

Postby clivegrif » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:28 am

How do you do that?? What camera do you use?

Fabulous pictures!
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby Frogwell » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:28 am

mountainstar wrote:Great pictures on a fabulous day....I should know because I was also on the Buachaille that day.
After leaving the car park at 9.15 am we did Curved Ridge and were on the summit around 1.15pm, you were probably already along the ridge by then. We only saw about 6 others around and about that day.
My TR will follow when I have the time.

I left the car park about and hour after you and hit the summit of Stob Dearg at 12:00. I did take the tourist route up though. I saw five others throughout the day, and as far as I can tell I was the only one that took this route - everyone else choosing more interesting ascents.
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:265   Corbetts:100
Fionas:8   Donalds:4

Postby jogar62 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:58 am

I loved the 'almost not very late' - and the fact that you stopped here because you couldn't be bothered to drive further...and the laughter at the top ...I'm sure there are lots of us out here who can identify with all those things!! :
jogar62
Munro compleatist

Munros:34   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:4
Hewitts:117
Wainwrights:106   

Postby balfourbaggers » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:50 pm

Like your sense of humour and the pics are great. My son,brother and I have climbed it twice by the same route and are planning to do Curved Ridge in April / May :?
balfourbaggers
Stravaiging

Munros:72   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

41 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland