walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Morrone

Morrone

Postby IainG » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:07 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Morrone

Date walked: 12/09/2009

Time taken: 5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is the first walk of a two day jaunt into the Cairngorms we done last weekend. The weather was excellent and the conditions ideal for a wander around that great area.

For the geeks amongst us, the pictures I've posted were taken with a Hasselblad Xpan camera, reputed to be one of the finest film cameras ever made. It shoots a two frame wide shot, which gives the panoramic format you'll see. I then scanned the negatives into the digital world. The reason there's been a delay in posting this one is the fact that I had to wait for film developing at the Chemist! Nostalgic indeed!! :thumbup:

We travelled up on the Saturday morning, passing the famous cheese shop in Blairgowrie for some supplies, and parked up at the Invercauld site in Braemar. Usual refinements for a Caravan Club site. Pure luxury.

We left the site, and headed through the town, walking up Chapel Brae past the duck pond before picking up the track to Morrone. It was positively Belize weather we were experiencing.

Nice views as we headed up the well made path.

We reached the top in the late afternoon gloaming.

Great views over towards Loch Callater.

The Cairngorms.

Grear views of Braemar. We could see the Camel from here, parked up at the site.

A window in the cloud lit up the Dee as we looked West.

Looking south to the track which descends into Glen Shee.

A great hill. A jumble of aerials at the top, but still worth the effort.
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Grahams:7   Donalds:3
Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Re: Morrone

Postby Graeme D » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:53 pm

Lovely pictures Iain - and looks like a cracking day!
Graeme D

Munros:225   Corbetts:107
Grahams:65   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:56   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Postby IainG » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:19 pm

Cheers Graeme. It was a stunning day.

Back up to the Cairngorms tomorrow, so lets hope it lasts!!
IainG
Munro compleatist

Postby beth grant » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:50 pm

Walked Morrone on a very windy day in April,so bad we were glad to be on a lovely wide plateau! Agree the views are wonderful and enjoyed your pics although the technicals mean little to me.
beth grant

Munros:36   Corbetts:21
Grahams:14   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby mountain coward » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:34 pm

The times I've stayed under Morrone and haven't walked it yet! I should be ashamed at my laziness! I've usually been completely cream-crackered after my Munroing efforts though. Great panoramic film photos! Nice to see someone else using film.
mountain coward

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:51 am

Ditto MC - but high on the list for the next trip to Deeside (something of an epic from Skye). Mind you, I've got to do Carn an Fhidleir and An Sgarsoch which I'm not really looking forward to that much.

I used to get Morrone mixed up with Morven. Great photos by the way... sounds like you have quite a camera collection 8)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:66   Donalds:43
Sub 2000:115   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:134   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby IainG » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:56 am

I'm a geek when it comes to photography :oops:

Paul, they two are fine hills and a great day out if you take the bike. I'm talking the White Bridge, Geldie Lodge route. I can guarantee it's very gentle uphill all the way, but an utter 30mph blast on the way back. One of my memorable walks just because of the speed possible on an old bike, by a non cyclist, on a rough gravel track. It was cracking.
IainG
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:31 pm

Great news - I'm a pretty crappy cyclist anyway and was wondering, although I've been as far as White Bridge (for Beinn Bhrotain) cycling before... I still have those to do if you need any company Paul! Richard refuses to do them as they're too far away and too boring for him!
mountain coward

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:41 pm

Won't be until next year now MC - but I'll send you a PM to see if you can make it :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:66   Donalds:43
Sub 2000:115   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:134   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby skuk007 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:59 pm

Great photos. Even the best camera needs a good photographer behind it to get these shots. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby kinley » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:14 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Ditto MC - but high on the list for the next trip to Deeside (something of an epic from Skye). Mind you, I've got to do Carn an Fhidleir and An Sgarsoch which I'm not really looking forward to that much.

:lol: we yomped out to these 2 with 17kg+ packs, staggered over the munros and got eaten alive by solid midge clouds in the evening.

1st wild camp.

Happy days :D
kinley

Munros:282   Corbetts:215
Grahams:146   Donalds:25
Sub 2000:39   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland