walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Weekend "break" – a "trip" report.

Weekend "break" – a "trip" report.

by weemistermac » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:06 am

Route description: Beinn a' Chaorainn & Beinn Bhreac

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaorainn (Cairngorms), Beinn Bhreac

Date walked: 10/02/2012

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Weekend "break" – a "trip" report.

Postby Alastair S » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:48 pm

Wow, what a read.

GGE - all the best for a speedy & full recovery.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby Redrock » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:09 pm

Gee whiz! I was reading through this and thinking, "This is a report with a difference!" - even before you got to the hills! :D And then it just gets better, and better - then worse! :( ( at least for GGE!) I hope the ankle heals real soon Gable! 8) It just goes to show why we carry all that extra gear in winter - to be safe! :!: A great report! Cheers. 8)
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Graeme D » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:37 pm

Epic indeed. I've never met GGE but from what I have read and observed, he seems like he knows what he's doing in the hills. Just goes to show you - anything can happen to anybody out there. It can be random bad luck. Best be prepared.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:61   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Dan Scheer » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:48 pm

Yeah, it was a simple accident that could have happened to anyone and wasn't caused due to negligence or stupidity (like my first munro going up Beinn Eighe as a teenager in a t-shirt and sandals on my first holiday to the UK a loong time ago :oops: )
Dan Scheer
Mountaineer

Munros:36   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Islands:25

Postby Dan Scheer » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:00 pm

... and while I am here, I can't believe you are dissing my Rum tea, that was some good quality stuff!!! :p
Dan Scheer
Mountaineer

Munros:36   Corbetts:5
Islands:25

Postby DEADEVEN » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:30 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:What a report, i think it had it all. I hope others read this and learn that anything can happen on the hills and thats the reason for carrying extra kit ie bivvy,shelter etc. Most of these items are light and easily fit into a rucksack. Too many travel light during the winter months in my opinion. Without you guys having that gear Gable could have been in serious trouble.

well said sir :clap:
please carry extra gear i.e. shelter,clothing,food,painkillers...etc
i'm sick of hearing about tragedy on the hills in winter as
a lot of it is unnecesery....take care as winter on hills can throw up
dodgy situations
DEADEVEN
Munro compleatist

Munros:226   

Postby mrssanta » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:02 pm

blumming ummer!!! as they say in this part of the world!
that trip has it all!!
hope everything heals up in double quick time
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:20 pm

Hey Stuart, I want to check that stookie. I reckon you were hung over after Saturday night, climbed one hill too many (unlike Colin and I!!!!) and then couldn't be bothered walking all the way down Glen Derry (which, as everyone knows, is a lot longer going down than it is going up).
Hope to see you back in Scottie's come spring - and best wishes to Dan in his trek home.
Cheers,
Neil Frae Fife (alias cairngormwanderer)
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby weemistermac » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:29 pm

Cairngormwanderer wrote:Hey Stuart, I want to check that stookie. I reckon you were hung over after Saturday night, climbed one hill too many (unlike Colin and I!!!!) and then couldn't be bothered walking all the way down Glen Derry (which, as everyone knows, is a lot longer going down than it is going up).
Hope to see you back in Scottie's come spring - and best wishes to Dan in his trek home.
Cheers,

Good to see you on here Neil. I couldn't help having a wee giggle after all that joking about leaving notes, compass bearings etc just for this to happen!! I think you jinxed the poor man! Was nice meeting you. Hopefully catch up again.
weemistermac

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby monty » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:41 pm

What a cracking report. Looks like you guys had a super wee break in the Cairngorms :lol:

Joking apart, Great report, excellent weekend until the accident, but GGE was well looked after. Well done Stu and Dan. Get well soon GGE. :D
monty

Postby weemistermac » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:44 pm

Thanks everyone for the comments. Glad to see there hasn't been too much in the way of finger-wagging too.

I always do and will continue to carry a whole bunch of extras in my pack that (until Sunday) I haven't needed in 20 years of walking. A helicopter having to come looking for us always sounds extreme but that wasn't our decision. A track vehicle was being sent but MRT told us afterwards they always prefer a helicopter with broken legs as the journey down can be murder over rough ground.

The reason I was told initially that a chopper wouldn't be coming was because it was attending an accident in Glencoe where a climber had fallen and broken most of his body. Sadly, the chopper couldn't get close enough and was despatched to us. I don't know the outcome but I hope the climber was ok.

I've been walking the hills for a lot of years and think I'm pretty sensible and well-prepared. We didn't decide on calling emergency services lightly but it seemed like our only true option in this case. The way I've chosen to look on it is this – if you fall off the kerb on Union Street you get an ambulance, if something happens on your boat you get the Coast Guard, if you break a leg on the hills you et Mountain Rescue. We are incredibly lucky in this country to have the emergency services (paid or volunteered) that we have. The Sea King pilot is the hero in my book for landing where he did. Thanks too for the calm and professional manner in the way the medic and crew went about their job. They were brilliant. Huge thanks too to the Braemar MRT and the MRT operator, Alison Todd, who I spoke with at length over the phone. All heroes.
weemistermac

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby mountainstar » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:17 pm

Well you don't get out that much now-a-days, but when you do!
What an excellent report :clap: .
Pity about GGE's slip....should have come to Glencoe? It would have been wet and cloudy....but you missed all that lovely beer, music and crack (although you did have your own...in more ways than one!) in the Clachaig :( .
Hope to see you next time :D
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby Gable Gable End » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:00 pm

Cairngormwanderer wrote:Hey Stuart, I want to check that stookie. I reckon you were hung over after Saturday night, climbed one hill too many (unlike Colin and I!!!!) and then couldn't be bothered walking all the way down Glen Derry (which, as everyone knows, is a lot longer going down than it is going up).
Cheers,

Ha! If only!

The stookie came off today and ARI reset the bone as it had slipped. Now in a lighter one but still got another 6 weeks without any weight bearing. Might be closer to summer before I am walking in the glens again!!
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Gable Gable End » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:07 pm

weemistermac wrote: A helicopter having to come looking for us always sounds extreme but that wasn't our decision. A track vehicle was being sent but MRT told us afterwards they always prefer a helicopter with broken legs as the journey down can be murder over rough ground.

The way I've chosen to look on it is this – if you fall off the kerb on Union Street you get an ambulance, if something happens on your boat you get the Coast Guard, if you break a leg on the hills you et Mountain Rescue. We are incredibly lucky in this country to have the emergency services (paid or volunteered) that we have. The Sea King pilot is the hero in my book for landing where he did. Thanks too for the calm and professional manner in the way the medic and crew went about their job. They were brilliant. Huge thanks too to the Braemar MRT and the MRT operator, Alison Todd, who I spoke with at length over the phone. All heroes.

all of this above.

ive signed up my direct debit and my coast to coast will be generating funds in the MR direction. It is a shame that this is reactive! i have alwsys thought about donating but never did it. My point being: If you have always thought of donating to MR but keep putting it off; i'd recommend that you sign up now....you never know when you might need it and I don't know what I would have done if such a thing didnt exist!
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Bod » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:00 pm

Yes, that's some report... :shock: ....great adventures shared, and well done getting in the help when it really mattered and for being duly prepared to keep GGE as comfortable and supported as you did. All the best for a speedy and full recovery :D :D :D

It just shows you how easily any one of us could slip and be hurt, fall down a hole......great point GGE that we should all consider supporting MR if we don't do so already :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:28
Wainwrights:56   Islands:25

23 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland