walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

How to loose a guy in 1 day

How to loose a guy in 1 day

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:37 pm

Route description: Beinn Bhuidhe, via Glen Fyne

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 19/02/2012

Time taken: 7.45 hours

Distance: 21.5 km

Ascent: 1129m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With a 2 month break from hillwalking due to Christmas, a holiday to Kenya and bad weather I was more than ready to go hillwalking again. Looking at the map of Munros I needed something easy...and after reading some reports for Beinn Bhuidhe, I decided that this would be great for a first Munro. It looked pretty straight foreward and hopefully would be ok in the snow.

Sunday morning I literally bounced out of bed as I hardly could wait to climb a mountain again. I guess for a non hillwalker it is hard to understand the enthusiasm a hillwalker can have (specially at 6am on Sunday morning), because while I was cheerfully chatting away about hills, weather, snow etc in the car while we drove up north, he just sat next to me with a worried look of ...What did I let myself into! :shock: :shock: :shock:

The day turned out to be as beautiful as the weather forecast had promised and driving past the car park of the Cobbler I spotted about 20 cars...at 8.30am on Sunday morning!! :shock: :shock: While I pointed to the cars I said...you see
there are maniacs out like us :D We drove on and arriving at the car park at the top of Glen Fyne. And hurray no other cars - I love to arrive first!

Changing into boots and getting the kit ready we set off and soon passed the Brewery (great place to have one)
The first 7km lead us through really pretty countryside and I loved the highland cattle which looked pretty next to the road. The path was pretty easy and would have been great to cycle.

Beinn Bhuidhe (2).jpg
Highland cattle

Beinn Bhuidhe (1).jpg

Beinn Bhuidhe (10).jpg

As I completely forgot to print out a map (due to being too busy at work on Friday) I decided that with the help of my new GPS (even though it didnt had the detailed map on it) I would be ok if I just drew a basic copy of the path... :shock: :crazy:

Beinn Bhuidhe (6).jpg
The sophisticated map - what can possible go wrong if you have one of the most detailed maps on the planet....

Beinn Bhuidhe (14).jpg
The end of the path

After 1.40h we arrived at the white cottage which was the end point of the easy path and made our way up the rather steep hill. Within the first 20 min sweat was pouring off us and I kept on thinking...strange that there is no path??? :-? Well there was a very faint path, but I clearly had expected something else. When we stopped for a break I looked down the hill to my left and next to the burn was was the path. I chuckled to myself, quite happy that yet again I managed to miss the path even with the help of a GPS system (and my wonderful map) But as we path was there and I liked the path up I wasnt worried at all...it was fun!

Beinn Bhuidhe (15).jpg
The path on the other side..

Marco on the other hand looked close to dying on my approach up
But being brave he didnt even complained once and didnt even bat an eye lit when I showed him the path on the other side. After all the only thing we had to do was to continue up. Checking out the path on the other side
I was also pretty glad that we didnt found it, as it was on the lee side of the mountain and covered in deep snow, while we happily walked on grass...
Beinn Bhuidhe (17).jpg
The lee side of the mountain inclusing the path was covered in sbow while we were still away from it

Beinn Bhuidhe (20).jpg
The waterfall

After the initial steep first bit, the walking got easier and we reached the snow. After the first bits of ice started to appear I put on my crampons and handed my ice axe to Marco, who neither had crampons or an ice axe.
Something which had worried me, but I hoped that he would be ok with the ice axe. Even though the ground was frozen over in some areas, it was still possible to walk without crampons. Well so would any experienced hillwalker have thought, but for someone who never had done anything like that it was pretty scary which I could emphasize with.
Beinn Bhuidhe (25).jpg
I guess that was a fox

Beinn Bhuidhe (27).jpg

We continued up the mountain and at times I took over the task to dig out steps for him with my ice axe (least I could do) Bouncing happily up the mountain he followed me clearly not as happy as I was with a look on his face which was a mix between..."What did I let myself into" "Fear" and "If I survive this, I am going to kill you after" I dont think my cheerful 'You will be fine' helped that much.
But he still consisted that he was fine...although he admitted after that there were bits when he really feared for his life. But in my opinion he did great for someone who hillwalked in such a long time and never done any hiking in winter.
After the final stretch of a thick bed of snow, we reached the top and had wonderful views, but as a front of dark clouds was approaching. we only took some summit pictures and made our way down again.

Beinn Bhuidhe (31).jpg

Beinn Bhuidhe (32).jpg

Beinn Bhuidhe (40).jpg

Beinn Bhuidhe (37).jpg

Beinn Bhuidhe (52).jpg

The way down proved easier than I expected and by that time we met 2 other hillwalkers - the first ones of the day. All Marco was able to say was...God more mad people like us' :D :D By that time the clag had come down and it had started to rain slightly. Luckily the front passed within half an hour and it cleared up again. By that time Marco had forgiven me and started talking to me again 8)
The walk down was pretty easy and we had both decided to go back down the same way we came up, as the other side looked even worse and it was easy to follow out footsteps down back to the while collage.
The last 7km back to the car seemed to go on forever, but after a total of 7:45h we were back and ready to go for a well earned pint.

Despite all he is still keen to come along again,although he still does not get it how anyone could do this every second weekend...
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Mountainlove on Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: How to loose a guy in 1 day

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:48 pm

haha good report and i do it every weekend cause i've got stamina :lol: :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby malky_c » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:49 pm

Looks like some fine weather :) . Most people (including me) seem to end up doing this one in the clag. Shame, as it looks like a good hill. I might go back one day if I'm down that way.

Love that map :lol: . I had something similar when I went up Beinn Talaidh on Mull about a year ago. I'd forgotten the OS map so I skeched something like that after looking at the maps they had for sale on the ferry. The weather was pretty clear though, so I didn't have to look at it in the end.

Seems like you didn't quite manage to lose your new partner then! Me and my missus came quite close to splitting up after I tried dragging her up Ben Hope a few years ago. We agreed after that that hillwalking wasn't for her...
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:59 pm

Collaciotach wrote:haha good report and i do it every weekend cause i've got stamina :lol: :lol:

Lol and I guess a certain madness is required as well :lol:

malky_c wrote:Looks like some fine weather :) . Most people (including me) seem to end up doing this one in the clag. Shame, as it looks like a good hill. I might go back one day if I'm down that way.

Love that map :lol: . I had something similar when I went up Beinn Talaidh on Mull about a year ago. I'd forgotten the OS map so I skeched something like that after looking at the maps they had for sale on the ferry. The weather was pretty clear though, so I didn't have to look at it in the end.

Seems like you didn't quite manage to lose your new partner then! Me and my missus came quite close to splitting up after I tried dragging her up Ben Hope a few years ago. We agreed after that that hillwalking wasn't for her...

Great to know I am not the only one with map making skills :lol: But mine helped as I wasnt sure if I had to cross the bridge the second time around towards the end of the walk. Shame that your partner is not into hillwalking...and Ben Hope is such a great mountain...loved the views from it.
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby pigeon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:06 pm

Still to do this one ,can i borrow your map? :lol: :lol: :lol: The real test for Marco will come when you get him stuck in a blizzard in a howlin' gale about 10 miles from the car at about 3000 feet :thumbup: How was Kenya by the way?,going there in August 8)
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby smiffysmc » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:19 pm

Ha,wondered where you'd went. We done this hill as our first winter walk. It was a killer in the clag,wind and snow,especailly the walk out.
You must be a sadist taking Marco up there for his 1st Munro !! :lol: Poor guy.
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:34 pm

pigeon wrote:Still to do this one ,can i borrow your map? :lol: :lol: :lol: The real test for Marco will come when you get him stuck in a blizzard in a howlin' gale about 10 miles from the car at about 3000 feet :thumbup: How was Kenya by the way?,going there in August 8)

:lol: Obviously you can borrow my map :lol: Yeah was thinking the same when I read 'Buachaille Etive Mor, Curved Ridge, an Awesome day' and thought I want to do the same :D :D :D
Kenya was great. Stayed in Nairobi for a few days (you have to go to Java Coffee house for the best coffee around) Did a Safari in the Masai Mara for 3 days (a lot cheaper if you book it when you are there) and then relaxed at Tiwi Beach (next to Diani beach - equally beautiful minus the tourists. Public transport is really cheap and a day trip to Mombasa is great, but a day is enough, as there is not that much too see. Highlight was defenetely the Masai Mara!!

smiffysmc wrote:Ha,wondered where you'd went. We done this hill as our first winter walk. It was a killer in the clag,wind and snow,especailly the walk out.
You must be a sadist taking Marco up there for his 1st Munro !! :lol: Poor guy.

Lol what doesnt kill you makes you stronger...although I guess he would have prefered your walk up Ben Chonzie :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby monty » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:41 pm

Nice report Mountainlove,
Excellent map. Have you ever thought about being a cartographer :lol: :lol: Its a nice walk but much better with a bike to cycle in and out. :D
monty

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:07 pm

monty wrote: Its a nice walk but much better with a bike to cycle in and out. :D

No No No monty..........................you need to walk this and be a purist.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby andrewdoggett » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:01 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:
monty wrote: Its a nice walk but much better with a bike to cycle in and out. :D

No No No monty..........................you need to walk this and be a purist.

Monty is getting pretty ancient now you know...

Nice day, I remember a blizzard coming down and turning the mountain white one out 10 mins, added to the adventure :)
andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Postby kevsbald » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:03 pm

From a public health view, I prescribe the hill bug - u should infect him immediately.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby mrssanta » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:07 pm

first time I've ever seen a summit pic of that hill without clag. Lovely :D
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby starrynights » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:37 pm

Love this report ML. You look so happy in all your pics, and your words just bounce with enthusiasm .... Marco looks slightly in shock :) Have read quite a few of your reports and have to say, you sound like every Mountain Rescuers lovable nightmare :lol: Your map should be framed 8). Wish I'd drawn it!!!! (just to add, I have a terrible sense of direction, got lost only 2 miles from home...in my defence it's very hilly round here.... I bought a GPS, but still don't know how to use it properly :?)
Was chuckling all the way through this. I hope your new bf appreciates your 'l'amour des collines' .... as Kevsbald said, it's definitely a bug. Having said all that, I can't go walking just now, due to a bug infection of the chest ... grumble, grumble, grumble ..... :sick:
And yes, I concur, I love to arrive first too!! :D
starrynights
Munro compleatist

Postby icemandan » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:08 pm

Recommend biking in for this one. When I did it 3 years ago, the Estate had put up a bike rack at the end of the road. The cows can be a bit unnerving on a bike though. Beautiful narrow ridge at the top and there aren't many hills with that long view of Loch Fyne (or a Fine view of Loch Long). One of the last hills I did before succumbing to GPS. I remember struggling a bit to find the way down past the waterfall from above.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:44 am

monty wrote:Nice report Mountainlove,
Excellent map. Have you ever thought about being a cartographer :lol: :lol: Its a nice walk but much better with a bike to cycle in and out. :D

A Cartographer - well there is a thought :D :D
On the way back we saw 2 bikes, which belonged to the 2 other walkers we saw...have to say a bikeride back would have been lovely...but the walk in was nice on foot!

@andrewdoggett : Your day sounded like an adventure indeed!!

kevsbald wrote:From a public health view, I prescribe the hill bug - u should infect him immediately.

I am working on that - just not sure how long the incubation time will be :D

mrssanta wrote:first time I've ever seen a summit pic of that hill without clag. Lovely :D

The views were lovely indeed- didnt thought I woudl like the mountain that much - but it is one I would return to

starrynights wrote:Love this report ML. You look so happy in all your pics, and your words just bounce with enthusiasm .... Marco looks slightly in shock :) Have read quite a few of your reports and have to say, you sound like every Mountain Rescuers lovable nightmare :lol: Your map should be framed 8). Wish I'd drawn it!!!! (just to add, I have a terrible sense of direction, got lost only 2 miles from home...in my defence it's very hilly round here.... I bought a GPS, but still don't know how to use it properly :?)
Was chuckling all the way through this. I hope your new bf appreciates your 'l'amour des collines' .... as Kevsbald said, it's definitely a bug. Having said all that, I can't go walking just now, due to a bug infection of the chest ... grumble, grumble, grumble ..... :sick:
And yes, I concur, I love to arrive first too!! :D

Lol know the problem with GPS system...they force you to read the instructions if you ever want them to work :-) Learned that with mine...still not past the basic functions either. Had to laugh about l'amour des collines...so true..its my longest lasting relationship so far :D Hope you will get better soon! Its bad enough when weather stops you...let alone your own health!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland