walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

CSB conquer Chonzie

CSB conquer Chonzie

Postby smiffysmc » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:53 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 19/02/2012

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 712m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Off call again this weekend. So time for the hills. A week prior to the walk,i decided to start a Facebook page as to save the hassle of txtin people to see if they wanted to head out,or if anyone else was heading out they could let others know. Cowal Summit Baggers were born. :lol:
Myself and Martin 'Mears' had decided to head to Ben Chonzie after reading Doogz walk report from the other week. Something for the winter that wasn't going to be to taxing or dangerous. Mentioned it on Facebook and before we knew it , a few friends were coming to join us. 5 for sure with a few possibles,all of different experience and fitness.

Sunday morning was cold and clear....ideal. :) Sadly received a txt from 'Mears' at 05.30 to say he couldn't make it. :(
We headed off from home picking up Jamie at the top of the Rest and be Thankfull and motored onto Comrie,heading up Glen Lednock meeting Dave at the carpark. We kitted up and were on our way for just before 09.00. Still clear and dry , our expectations were high of getting some views for a change,we were not dissapointed. 8)

As we climbed higher on the track the view just got better and better. The track was extremely icy in some places but 99.9% avoidable. It had started to cloud over a wee bit,but visibilty excellent.

We continued to almost the end of the track,we turned off onto the hill just as the track headed right. The track ahead was easy to see.

Jamie Mc and Dave up ahead.

Mr T and Dave heading to the fence line.

As WH route,we follwed the fence line to the summit. The ground was iced up,meaning extra car was taken in the worst sections,the final straight to the Summit was the worst.

It was raw it the summit,gloves were off for 5 minutes then straight back on, along with an extra jacket. Quick bite to eat,some pics, then we started our descent back to the car,met quite a few people as we headed down,all taking various routes towards the fence line,it was a busy hill.

Dave,Me,Jamie Mc and MrT.

Views

Another great day on the hill. Even though the other accused my microspikes being product of the QVC shopping channel !! But they were impressed as i walked all the way down the icy track back to the dam,while they were dancing round the heather !!

Cheers.

CSB.

Edit. Forgot to mention,with the hill branded as being boring,we didn't think so. No hill is the same,so all have something different to offer. The easy going and views made this a wee beauty.
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: CSB conquer Chonzie

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:05 pm

Great idea with the Facebook page! And the pictures are looking brilliant! :D :D Sounds like a great day out on the hills...and I agree the weather was fab that day - even though sooo cold in the wind!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby quoman » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:32 pm

good report and the picture's look cold
the wee micro spikes are magic for the icy paths QVC or ebay cheep as chips and do the business.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby monty » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:43 pm

Nice set of photos there Smiffy. Looks nice in the snow. :D
monty

Postby smiffysmc » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:41 pm

Cheers folks. Just planning the next walk!! Maybe something a wee bit more strenuous. :)
smiffysmc
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby dgesl » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:09 pm

Missing my csb friends in the hills , hope i can tag along again soon :wink:
dgesl
Mountaineer

Munros:164   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland