walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beautiful winter walk

Beautiful winter walk

Postby Stu H » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:09 pm

Route description: Cairnsmore of Fleet, near Newton Stewart

Fionas included on this walk: Cairnsmore of Fleet

Donalds included on this walk: Cairnsmore of Fleet

Date walked: 22/02/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12.25 km

Ascent: 691m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I walked this hill with my wife and 15 year old boy. We were after a fairly straightforward hill walk but with great views at the top. This one delivered on all counts. Slightly boggy walk up through fire break in forest then open moorland and up to ice and then snow level. The views got better as the walk went on and it was a great feeling towards the top with beautiful sunshine, snow, wind and great views all together! I've heard there's a German plane wreck somewhere on the hill which would have been awesome to find if I'd known about it beforehand. Took 2 hours up and just over 1.5 hours coming back down at a leisurely pace. Would thoroughly recommend this. :thumbup:
Attachments
020.JPG
Stu H
Mountain Walker

Re: Beautiful winter walk

Postby Gavin99 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:51 pm

Hi Stu , looks like you had a good day for it . It doesn't sound as if there is much left to see of that aircraft even without the snow :
http://www.aircrashsites-scotland.co.uk/heinkel-he111_cairnsmore.htm

:)
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Re: Beautiful winter walk

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:25 pm

I'm looking for something to do down Galloway way tomorrow, this could be the answer. Don't think it's to be as nice as you got though.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland