walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Arrochar Alps - Beinn Ime from Butterbridge

Arrochar Alps - Beinn Ime from Butterbridge

Postby jwramsay » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:31 pm

Date walked: 05/07/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On Sunday 5th July 2009 I decided that due to failing to bag the munro Beinn Ime the previous weekend (due to low cloud, we only bagged Bein Narnain), that I'd attempt a climb from the Butterbridge Carpark.

So, arrived at the car park at the bend in the A83 and it was full of RAF vehicles/tents. Asked if I could park there, the head bummer was excellent and directed me to a nice bit to park. The car was going to be safe today!! The reason they were there of course was to recover the wreckage of the RAF Tornado that crashed in Glen Kinglass, and it is to the two dead aviators ( Flight Lieutenant Kenneth Thompson (27) and Weapon Systems Officer Flight Lieutenant Nigel Morton (43)) that I dedicate this video.

The ascent was straightforward, great views of The Cobbler, Bein Narnain, Ben Lomond, Ben Vorlich and Ben Vane. At the top, I hooked up with "Billy" from Glasgow and we descended a failry steep section back to the carpark where he had parked right next to my car.

All of the Points Of Interest are noted with subtitles, so enjoy the walk up Beinn Ime from Butterbridge!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Grahams:4   Donalds:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland