walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Socach

An Socach

Postby quoman » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:43 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Socach (Braemar), Càrn Bhac

Date walked: 25/02/2012

Time taken: 5.14 hours

Distance: 17.94 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This week walk was up to glenshee to do An Socach and Carn Bhac.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We were on the road from 5.30am me Alec and the dug a nice quiet drive up the road got to the parking place on the A93
DSC02074.JPG
start of walk

We set of at 7.50 a good esay walk in cross the bridge then the horse's come into view
DSC02078.JPG
horses
you go along the landrover track for 2/3 klm crossing the river a couple of times there's a lovley looking cottage along the walk. the weather wasn't that good but we started the walk in our baselayer just before the start of the climb it started to rain not that heavy but it was on then off then on, so on with the waterproofs and left them on for the rest of the walk
100_1137.JPG
the view down
100_1138.JPG
me on the way up
seen the big cairn and headed right for it
100_1136.JPG
Bear at the big cairn
there wasn't much of a path to the cairn but you could see a path all the way to the start of the plateau a wee step climb up to it
DSC02090.JPG
the walk to the summit
you hit a nice big shelter at the start of the plateau in the thick clag you could mistake that for the summit. the real summit is a further 2/3 klm further along
100_1142.JPG
summit
we sat here for a good 20mins for lunch talked about going to Carn bhac had plenty of time to do it so we set of north down over the shoulder to have a look at the climb down NOOOOOO chance that was the decision made by the DUG :lol: :lol: it looked to step to go down so the decision was to head back the way we came awe well 1 munro is better than none
DSC02085.JPG
Carn Bhac from the north shoulder of AN Socach
DSC02086.JPG
Views up the glen
meet two other walkers on our way back had a good chat about motor bikes and hills
DSC02088.JPG
pano
DSC02092.JPG
pano of the Cairnwell hills
DSC02091.JPG
Loch Vrotachan
made our way down and after the big cairn the sun came out so of with the waterproofs :D meet 2 other walkers coming along the landrover track back at the jeep at 14.05
DSC02096.JPG
the stats
all in all we had a good day on the hill.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Re: An Socach

Postby PeteR » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:54 pm

Where's all the snow gone :shock: :shock:

Looks a bit soggy there quoman. I think I preferred the ice and snow from a few weeks back, but at least you got some views :D which i didn't. I had planned to do Carn Bhac and An Socach too when I was in the area last year, but in reverse to you so just did Carn Bhac. It looked steep to get up onto An Socach from the bottom, and in less than ideal weather I decided against it. Seems you have a clever dug :lol: :lol:

Enjoyed your report and pics. I think is is a much better hill than it sometimes gets credit for. And it's always good to see what I missed when I was up there :lol: :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby quoman » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:21 pm

PeteR wrote:Where's all the snow gone :shock: :shock:

Looks a bit soggy there quoman. I think I preferred the ice and snow from a few weeks back, but at least you got some views :D which i didn't. I had planned to do Carn Bhac and An Socach too when I was in the area last year, but in reverse to you so just did Carn Bhac. It looked steep to get up onto An Socach from the bottom, and in less than ideal weather I decided against it. Seems you have a clever dug :lol: :lol:

Enjoyed your report and pics. I think is is a much better hill than it sometimes gets credit for. And it's always good to see what I missed when I was up there :lol: :lol:

cheers peter
It was a wee bit boggy at the start going up,

looking down An Socach to the glen sure was steep and rocky plus the clag was coming and going so no chance.
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby pigeon » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:31 pm

you're right quoman,one is better than none :thumbup: Liked this one ,good wee walk although looks like you had a much better day that we did a few weeks ago,flippin' baltic it was that day :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:29 am

Great stuff Quoman, brings back memories of a beautiful day I spent up there all alone in total sunshine, shame your weather wasn't as good but judging by those pics it wasn't bad for winter time either....where's the snow at :?: :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby kevsbald » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:34 am

Carn Bhac via the Colonel's Bed is the way to go!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby quoman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:46 am

pigeon wrote:you're right quoman,one is better than none :thumbup: Liked this one ,good wee walk although looks like you had a much better day that we did a few weeks ago,flippin' baltic it was that day :lol:

Aye it was a good day a bit cold on the top it was your route we took but just came back the way we went instead of dropping down to the glen.
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby quoman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:50 am

ChrisW wrote:Great stuff Quoman, brings back memories of a beautiful day I spent up there all alone in total sunshine, shame your weather wasn't as good but judging by those pics it wasn't bad for winter time either....where's the snow at :?: :D

I know the snow has fairly disappeared,but it was warm until you hit the top then a wee bit chilly but no that bad.
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby quoman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:54 am

kevsbald wrote:Carn Bhac via the Colonel's Bed is the way to go!

Hi Kev,
Ive had a look and thats the right way i was thinking of going up and along Creag.an Lochain,and Carn Creagach,
then just back the way i went.
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:02 pm

Shame about missing Carn Bhac, i had a similar situation at my first attempt at Ben Lui, had a friends Westie with me and it refused to go any further when we came across an icy section :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby monty » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:17 pm

Nice walk Quoman. I done this one from Inverey. Aye Carb bach adds a good descent and ascent then you have to come back :lol: Never mind. One to do in the summer. Nice photos.
monty

Postby quoman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:37 pm

monty wrote:Nice walk Quoman. I done this one from Inverey. Aye Carb bach adds a good descent and ascent then you have to come back :lol: Never mind. One to do in the summer. Nice photos.

Aye monty didny fancy the walk back fi there :lol: thats the next hill anyway only another single thou
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby jonny616 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:52 pm

Nice one. Enjoyed this walk when i did it except i had no views past that first cairn :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby quoman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:20 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Shame about missing Carn Bhac, i had a similar situation at my first attempt at Ben Lui, had a friends Westie with me and it refused to go any further when we came across an icy section :D

Aye johnny it was but the climb down was to steep for us then the walk backup would be to much i will get Carn Bhac done shortly.
quoman
Mountaineer

Postby quoman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:23 pm

jonny616 wrote:Nice one. Enjoyed this walk when i did it except i had no views past that first cairn :lol:

cheers jonny
we thought the same the views weren't that good but it was dry for most of the day so canny complain
quoman
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland