walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Postby skuk007 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:44 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich via Loch Sloy

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 11/09/2009

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10 km

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well my Munro bagging days finally got started on 11/09/09. I had been looking forward to it ever since my wife had bought me the Cameron McNeish book. Having to drive up from near Bristol I decided to plump for the closest set of hills around Loch Lomond.

First up was Ben Vorlich. I set off from Bristol at 05:00 and arrived at Inveruglas Visitor Centre at 12:30, quite nervous as I hadn't really done any off-path routes before so wasn't sure what to expect. The weather was sunny and very clear so I was thankfully quite confident of not getting lost on my first hill.

As I walked up the footpath from the main road, to the spot I had decided to make my ascent, I kept looking at Ben Vane to my left trying to spot a route through the crags near the top. This was one for tomorrow!

Ben Vane Ben Ime 01.jpg
Ben Vane with Beinne Ime

It took 50 minutes to get from the Visitor Centre to the spot where I was leaving the path (NN29526, NN10324). I had decided to go straight up the steep Western slope, not too far from the Sloy dam.

Ben Vorlich (LL) 01.jpg
Starting point

I didn't realise until I came down later that the place I started was just past a path regularly used by walkers going up this way. That'll teach me for lookng at Ben Vane too much.

The going was very hard work due to the steepness and lack of a path so I stopped regularly to catch my breath and snap some pictures. I think I have seen a lot of pictures of the dam from the slope but couldn't resist taking one of my own.

Ben Vorlich (LL) 02.jpg
Sloy Dam

I found a path half way up the slope so followed it for a little while until it appeared to be heading for the crags near the ridge. I wasn't keen on doing crags on my first hill so veered off the path instead heading for a small flat area to the right of the crags. It was incredibly steep but with regular stops I eventually got to the flat spot and took a picture of where I had come up.

Ben Vorlich (LL) 03.jpg

The walk to the summit from here wasn't too bad and I picked up a path again. It was still very clear so there were great views back to Loch Lomond.

Ben Vorlich (LL) 04.jpg
Looking back to Loch Lomond

The path eventually leads to the trig point, and the summit cairn (NN29512, NN12467, 3097ft) which is 4 minutes past the trig point.

Ben Vorlich (LL) 07.jpg
Trig Point to Cairn

Ben Vorlich (LL) 05.jpg
Cairn to Trig Point

I only met two other people, near the top, all day, I was expecting more because of the great weather. Maybe they had all gone up earlier and were now back down enjoying a rereshing drink in a bar somewhere!

Great views from the top. I could clearly see tomorrow's route taking in three Munros, and I could see the infamous 'Cobbler' in the distance aswell.

Ben Vorlich (LL) 06.jpg
Tomorrows hills

After a quick rest, and some fresh air for my feet, I set off back down. I decided to follow the ridge path to see where it actually went. It went to the crags I had seen on the way up, but then it disappeared. I could see the slope back down so decided to carry on through the crags, as it would be quicker, and they didn't seem so fightening now.

I saw a couple of walkers coming up the slope, and they appeared to be on a path, so I headed for them. I followed this path all the way down the slope to the tarmac (NN29538, NN10302), stopping to take a picture looking back up where I had come from.

Ben Vorlich (LL) 08.jpg

Back on the tarmac, I soon realised where I had missed the start of the path mentioned earlier. It was now 17:15 and my feet ached.

I was, however, very pleased to have completed my first Munro. Texted my wife to let her know. Can't wait for tomorrow now.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Re: Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Postby monty » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:52 am

Hi Skuk007,
Nice first report of many. That was a bit of a marathon drive just to get to the mountains :shock: That and an early start must have sapped some of your strength before the walk. Nice pictures. Well done on choosing a difficult ascent :lol: :lol: I find that makes it a more personal experience and have unwittingly done some myself on occasion.

Might bump into you agin in the future. good luck.
monty

Postby David.Ferguson » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:28 am

Nice report.I did the same Munro the day after you and went up my own path only i headed up hill much further back from the dam.It's interesting to see the difference in your pictures in afternoon light as opposed to the early morning light i had,amazing how different things can look.

What were the next 3 Munro's you were planning (vane,ime,Narnain).Only asking as i was considering these 3 next and maybe camping overnight in there somewhere.

Cheers

David.
David.Ferguson
Munro compleatist

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby HighlandSC » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:42 pm

Well done skuk, not least for doing that marathon drive to the hills!
And there was me cursing and swearing last night during my 2 hour drive home from Nevis! :lol:
Well done on your first batch of hills, and a great report :D

Oh and nice rucksack - same as mine!
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby skuk007 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:55 pm

Thanks for the comments,
David: Ben Vane, Beinne Ime and Beinne Narnain were the next on my list. I am compiling the report as we speak...
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland