walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aonach Eagach Ridge

Aonach Eagach Ridge

Postby monarchming » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:47 pm

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 12/09/2009

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 11 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well I have been promising mingsmissus for a few weeks now that if the weather was good enough I would take her to the Aonach Eagach Ridge.She has only done 6 Munros up to this stage but her 1st was Blaven a year ago so I knew she was capable of some airy views!The ridge was pretty busy with it being a fine day and also with it being a Saturday but we were in no great hurry.This was my third time on the ridge as I have climbed it in the summer and the winter so it was good to be back again.
mountains 080.jpg
Looking back before the good stuff really starts!

It really was a fantastic day weatherwise and it was one of the best places to be on such a fine day.
mountains 082.jpg
Just take a step back . . .

As mingsmissus is fairly new to all this she had the tendency to look ahead and see what other people were doing on the ridge but this is understandable.I just got her to focus on each section and break it down into small pieces which she done superbly.
mountains 088.jpg
Can you see the car from here?
mountains 083.jpg
Looking back before we approach the Crazy Pinnacles

Now that we were on the Pinnacles it was getting a wee bit more exposed but we were moving well with no problems with people in front and behind us at a comfortable distance.
mountains 091.jpg
Crazy Pinnacles

After this section it was onto the second Munro and a few more pics with mingsmissus clicking away at so many fine views.It was then a walkout with the Pap of Glencoe and Lochleven for company before a well earned drink at the Clachaig Inn.
mountains 106.jpg
Looking back towards both Buachailles
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   

Re: Aonach Eagach Ridge

Postby rogers » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:36 pm

well done,this certainly looks like a challenge, especially with my head for heights I think it will be a while before I give it a go,liked the photos,gives me an idea of what to expect and it seems a very popular route.
rogers
Mountaineer

Munros:48   Corbetts:15
Fionas:11   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Postby monarchming » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:10 pm

Cheers rogers and the pics were taken with just a sony digital camera but they came out quite good.
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:52 pm

Good stuff ming - impressed you've done it in winter as well. Not bad for mingsmissuses' sixth Munro either :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby monty » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:29 pm

Well done Ming and missus. Just look at the weather you got. Nice pictures. tremendous.
monty

Postby monarchming » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:56 am

Thankyou lads and our walk report of Beinn Alligin has some good pics as well.
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain coward » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:48 am

rogers wrote:well done,this certainly looks like a challenge, especially with my head for heights I think it will be a while before I give it a go,liked the photos,gives me an idea of what to expect and it seems a very popular route.

If you don't like the look of the whole ridge you can always do it 'the Mountain Coward' way - see my walk report 'Aonach Eagach for Cowards' - bit more effort but saves the heart attack! :D
mountain coward

Postby monarchming » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:48 pm

Ha! sorry mountain coward but you are missing a fab day out by not completing the full ridge but each to our own. :thumbup:
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Postby David Gormley » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:13 pm

WoW!! :shock:

Fantastic photo's. Looks like you got a really good day for the climb.
I'm sooo iching to do this ridge, but persuading my friends would take more effort and be more difficult than the trip itself.

Onwards and Upwards.

David.:mrgreen:
David Gormley
Munro compleatist

Munros:3   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   

Postby monarchming » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:35 pm

A cool head,some experience and you will get it done! :thumbup:
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland