walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

King's Seat - A Gentle Reintroduction to the Hills

King's Seat - A Gentle Reintroduction to the Hills

Postby macq23 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:47 pm

Route description: Dunsinane and King's Seat, Collace

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: King's Seat

Date walked: 29/02/2012

Time taken: 2.15 hours

Distance: 6.02 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Forgive me for I have sinned, it has been nearly a year and six months since I was last out on a hike or a walk……………but I have good excuses! The last hillwalking experience was in August 2010, but unfortunately personal circumstances meant I had to leave the hills behind for a while :( but its all good now :D and its time for me to get back out in the hills!
I can 100% guarenteed that my fitness level dropped somewhat considerably, so I had been out walking lots lately rather than taking the car to shops, friend houses, etc to try and get that level back up a bit. But I knew that whatever walk I did, it would be tough going! I decided to do something close to home rather than spending hours driving from Dundee. As inspired by ChrisW reports on the lesser known hills, my decision was made...King's Seat it was! Only a 20mins drive from the house!!

I managed to find the parking spot okay despite various signs up saying the road to Collace was closed...(it wasn't closed at all!!) I was fronted with quite a steep incline to start the walk, and boy was I in agony within seconds!!!! It took a good 5 or 10 minutes before my body decided that it wasn't soo bad after all, and the pain in all my leg muscles finally went away!! Rather quickly I made it to the top of Dunsinane Hill, and was impressed by the views of the rocky cliff faces of Black Hill. I couldn't believe that this was here....so close to home!!!

So onwards and downwards and then upwards over the Black Hills! The old legs are now coping fine, and I'm really enjoying walking through the heathers. Loved seeing the small cairns on 2 parts of the Black Hills, loved the breezey wind, loved the cool but not cold temperature, and loved being the only one out on the hill. Yep I was certainly really enjoying myself!! :D

It wasn't until I reached the Grouse Butts area and it was quite boggy in parts. Oh the bogs.....I've forgotten about you bogs..You've still got one of my boots somewhere!!! It was actually fine, lots of long grass to walk over, so there wasn't any real danger of being lost in some sinkhole lol! It was a great feeling when I reached the summit of Kings Seat. And the views were something else. Man it was GOOD TO BE BACK ON THE HILLS!!!

Going back down, I just cut round the back of Black Hill, and kept coming accross random dead trees in the middle of nothing. Completely forgotten about them and how much I love seeing these trees out in the hills.

It was a fantastic afternoon out and will be the first of many this year. Even now as I'm typing this, I am still grinning from ear to ear and can't make my mind up about where to go next!! Its going to be a good 2012!!
DSC01412.JPG
Dunsinane Hill guide at the start of the walk
DSC01413.JPG
My abandoned car!!
DSC01415.JPG
First view of going up
DSC01416.JPG
At the cairn on Dunsinane Hill
DSC01419.JPG
The rocky cliff-face of Black Hill. Impressive!
DSC01421.JPG
In between Dunsinane Hill and Black Hill
DSC01422.JPG
Looking back at Dunsinane Hill
DSC01424.JPG
On Black Hill looking towards King's Seat
DSC01426.JPG
First Cairn on Black Hill
DSC01427.JPG
The Second Cairn on Black Hill
DSC01428.JPG
Somewhere north getting some rays :-)
DSC01429.JPG
Onwards to Kings Seat
DSC01435.JPG
The Grouse Butts area.....
DSC01436.JPG
Dead sheep?!
DSC01439.JPG
Getting closer to Kings Seat
DSC01440.JPG
Looking back towards Black Hill
DSC01441.JPG
Views toward Dundee and River Tay
DSC01443.JPG
View from Kings Seat towards South
DSC01444.JPG
Me at the trig
DSC01446.JPG
Looking towards Black Hill
DSC01447.JPG
Looking towards Dundee
DSC01448.JPG
Views from Kings Seat to North
DSC01452.JPG
View of Kings Seat and Black Hill when going downwards
DSC01455.JPG
Love these random dead trees scatter about the hills :-)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by macq23 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
macq23
Hill Bagger

Munros:52   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:6

Re: King's Seat - A Gentle Reintroduction to the Hills

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:46 pm

Will have to give this little hill a go sometime. Chris W's reports inspires quite a lot of us, only problem now he's doing them from Canada and making us all jaelous :mrgreen:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Graeme D » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:14 pm

This is an excellent wee route with fine views on a good day. Very handy for me too - surprised I haven't been up there more often. :o
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby ChrisW » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:26 pm

That's a fine report Mac, glad my meagre efforts provided some inspiration. I know what it feels like to return after a long lay off, the good thing is, that euphoric feeling you get at the top never seems to go away :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:28 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Will have to give this little hill a go sometime. Chris W's reports inspires quite a lot of us, only problem now he's doing them from Canada and making us all jaelous :mrgreen:

:lol: Cheers Johnny
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby macq23 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:46 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Chris W's reports inspires quite a lot of us, only problem now he's doing them from Canada and making us all jaelous :mrgreen:

LOL yes his reports and stunning photos do indeed make us all jealous!!! I actually waited in anticipation of his first report from Canada!!!
macq23
Hill Bagger

Postby macq23 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:48 pm

Graeme D wrote:This is an excellent wee route with fine views on a good day. Very handy for me too - surprised I haven't been up there more often. :o

Kinda wished I went today.....blue skies and Sun galore!! :lol:
macq23
Hill Bagger

Postby macq23 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:51 pm

ChrisW wrote:That's a fine report Mac, glad my meagre efforts provided some inspiration. I know what it feels like to return after a long lay off, the good thing is, that euphoric feeling you get at the top never seems to go away :D

It definitely has been too long, and the funny thing is......my regular hiking buddies have also said this. Because I haven't been out, they've also suffered!! So we're now all making plans for hikes this year. Let the good times roll :-) Hope you're having a ball in Canada, the reports have been......well as always....inspirational!!! :-)
macq23
Hill Bagger

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland