walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Piper on Beinn na Lap for George's first & last Munro!

Piper on Beinn na Lap for George's first & last Munro!

Postby dogplodder » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:11 pm

Route description: Beinn na Lap, from Corrour

Munros included on this walk: Beinn na Lap

Date walked: 02/05/2009

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was the May weekend and George said he was up for climbing his first Munro. He hadn't climbed a hill before so we decided on Beinn na Lap which combined with the train journey to Corrour gives a short easy climb. Moira and I left Inverness with George and Annette (another first Munroist)) at 6.00 which was perhaps a bit keen and got us to Spean Bridge station far too early! :lol:

Looks like George is booking Moira's car 8)
DSC00767-large.jpg

We had a longish wait for the train and got into a debate about which way it was coming. I got it wrong which possibly didn't fill the newbies with too much confidence about my navigational skills on the hill! :lol:

Hillwalks 2009 022.jpg

Annette practising her pole action
DSC00769-large.jpg

When the train arrived we found we were sharing it with 35 others celebrating someone's last Munro. Ah. :? We enjoyed the short journey along the side of Loch Treig and arriving at the tiny station of Corrour in the middle of nowhere gives a great build up to the day. When we stepped out the wind hit us broadside and it was freezing! :shock: But we'd promised ourselves breakfast in the famous station tearoom so made a beeline for it, leaving rucksacks as requested outside. We couldn't quite believe it but we were (quite shirtily) sent packing without as much as a cup of coffee! :( It wasn't that she didn't like the look of us or was put off by George's strong Glasgow accent 8) it was because the 35 had prebooked a full Scottish breakfast and the tearoom wifie was stressed out and wasn't for taking any more! Ah again. :?

So it was a slightly disconsolate bunch who set off along the track east towards Loch Ossian, taking a left at the fork and left again at the second fork. When the track swung left we were supposed to take to the boggy path up the west side of Beinn na Lap but what we actually did was stay on the track a bit longer and then followed the crest of the ridge which we thought looked drier underfoot.

Hillwalks 2009 036.jpg

Having been denied the delights of the tearoom we breakfasted al fresco half way up
DSC00771-large.jpg

George resplendent in that hat :lol:
DSC00774-large.jpg

Faint white rectangle an inch to right of left elbow is Corrour Station tearoom which refused us shelter and sustenance!
DSC00773-large.jpg

Loch Ossian
Hillwalks 2009 035.jpg

We took our time going up, not wanting to over-exert the first timers, but Annette was champing at the bit and it wasn't long before we spied the summit.

Beinn na Lap summit
DSC00780-large.jpg

I had stupidly not brought gloves (bad mistake in early May) and when George saw me pulling my hands up my sleeves he wanted to give me his. I protested but he insisted. So chivalry is not dead. :clap: The only problem was they were gardening gloves - made of a kind of waterproof material with no insulation or warmth in them at all. I put them on but my hands felt colder than without them so I generously made him take them back although he didn't want to. 8)

George & Annette absolutely freezing at the top of their first Munro
DSC00776-large.jpg

By this time the compleation party had arrived and it was more like Saturday morning on Sauchiehall Street than a summit so we didn't hang around and returned to the lochan near the top and were welcomed by a piper. George was well impressed we had organised this for his first Munro :clap: which he had now decided was also his last. :wave:

We sat down to listen to the piper
DSC00778-large.jpg

He wouldn't know we weren't part of the compleation party!
DSC00779-large.jpg

But when that got too busy we headed off
Hillwalks 2009 030.jpg

We took shelter for lunch in the stone wind break on the edge of the ridge. That was fine until horizontal snow started :shock: so we beat a hasty retreat, this time taking a more direct line off the hill towards Loch Ossian. We had a couple of hours to fill before our train was due and were delighted that we were now welcome in the almost empty tearoom where we drank coffee and ate very good apple cake beside a roaring fire. :D That was bliss after the freezing cold outside.

In this report I have used 4 of Moira's photos and it probably isn't too difficult to identify which ones they are. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Piper on Beinn na Lap for George's first & last Munro!

Postby mrssanta » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:32 pm

A memorable day indeed! did George do any more Munros after that?
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby dogplodder » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:50 am

mrssanta wrote:A memorable day indeed! did George do any more Munros after that?

George has firmly stuck to his resolve he has done his last Munro! He did come out a few months later with a group to climb the Corbett Meall a' Bhuachaille but turned back at Ryvoan bothy. :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:54 am

dogplodder wrote:He did come out a few months later with a group to climb the Corbett Meall a' Bhuachaille but turned back at Ryvoan bothy. :D

To be fair that was always the intention as he and his wife had another appointment to get to.
dogplodder

Postby ChrisW » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:45 pm

Great report, really enjoyed this and some lovely photos - I reckon Georges hat was made for two heads :shock: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby dogplodder » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:10 pm

ChrisW wrote:Great report, really enjoyed this and some lovely photos - I reckon Georges hat was made for two heads :shock: :lol:

Put's me in mind of Paddington Bear with his marmalade sandwich under his hat... Reckon George had something similar incubating under his! :lol:
dogplodder

Postby kevsbald » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:20 pm

Brilliant! Wish I could have been there to listen to the pipes on the hills.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby fraochydug » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:50 pm

thats the thing you hear while on the next hill and start wondering if its time to sit down and have a cup of tea, but when you do the piping doest go away, so you never mention it to anybody. or is that just me?
fraochydug
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   

Postby andyfitz » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:18 am

Nice report.
Did this hill the other week - sadly no piper, or indeed any other people - or views.
I think the Scottish Government should employ pipers to play at the top of every Munro each day.
You'd feel magic getting to the top and the tourists would live it :lol:
andyfitz

Munros:191   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:18

Postby dogplodder » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:12 am

kevsbald wrote:Brilliant! Wish I could have been there to listen to the pipes on the hills.

I've been serenaded by cellos on the top of Ben Nevis but this was a first for the pipes! :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:15 am

fraochydug wrote:thats the thing you hear while on the next hill and start wondering if its time to sit down and have a cup of tea, but when you do the piping doest go away, so you never mention it to anybody. or is that just me?

Sorry fraochydug I'm not following - but that's no reflection on you as I had a bad night and brain not in gear, not that it ever fully is! :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:18 am

andyfitz wrote:Nice report.
Did this hill the other week - sadly no piper, or indeed any other people - or views.

Would that be because it was the middle of the night....?

What time did you leave Airdrie to climb this one? :lol:
dogplodder

Postby fraochydug » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:15 pm

dogplodder wrote:
fraochydug wrote:thats the thing you hear while on the next hill and start wondering if its time to sit down and have a cup of tea, but when you do the piping doest go away, so you never mention it to anybody. or is that just me?

Sorry fraochydug I'm not following - but that's no reflection on you as I had a bad night and brain not in gear, not that it ever fully is! :D

haha, no worries i was a bit worse for wear myself.
i sometimes hear pipes in inexplicable places, wafting across from the distance. the sound carries for miles. im not always sure if i am hearing them, or it is a symptom of social isolation and exhaustion
fraochydug
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   

Postby Tomsie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:21 pm

love the idea of the piper
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby dogplodder » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:45 pm

fraochydug wrote:i sometimes hear pipes in inexplicable places, wafting across from the distance. the sound carries for miles.

There's something quite poignant about that statement - as if coming from an exiled Scot in some far flung place longing for the skirl of the pipes in his beloved homeland. You've got me going all Braveheart now.... :D
dogplodder

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland