walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

old kilpatrick to milngavie

old kilpatrick to milngavie

Postby dunrig » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:03 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Duncolm

Date walked: 04/03/2012

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I have reached an age when sometimes I need the comfort of familiar things. Having done this route many times with different variations, it is one of those comforting things. I have done it memorably in winter snow,as well as failing the most extreme version -starting in dumbarton you walk over dougnot hill, over duncolm on to dumgoyne and dumfoyne then on to drymen (I bailed out for blanefield bus) 'doing the d's' (anyone?)- like doing the dubhs without the exhileration but more exhaustion. Anyway onto this paticular walk...
Unexpectedly free on sunday I took the train to old kilpatrick and then track to loch humphrey, enjoying the unusual sensation of sun warming my face, as well as views along clyde and back to glasgow.
P1000201.JPG
P1000203.JPG
P1000207.JPG
This track is closed mon to fri at moment due to forestry operations. I expected it to be busier but only met a couple of mountain bikers and the odd walker. Then on by loch humphrey
P1000214.JPG
to duncolm, views to loch lomand and just about the southern highlands, there are a few black clouds on horizon.
Then over saughen braes, these look impossibly boggy but you can get across with dry feet using the lie of the land and a bit of tussock jumping.
P1000219.JPG
P1000226.JPG
P1000227.JPG
P1000228.JPG
looking back to duncolm
From burncroocks reservoir you can shorten the walk by following road to (auchinden) farm shop, taking the track at the back of this to bridge at A809 & then faint path over hill to south end of craigallion loch.
This time I plough straight on through more tussocky grass & heather to the whangie.
P1000230.JPG
P1000231.JPG
A great bit of rock architecture, encouraging me to prove yet again my uselessness at climbing on easiest line but not today. Too many spectators, including a family barbecuing sausages just as a snowstorm sweeps in-maybe they were being a bit optimistic- this is scotland in march. Head down I cross a packed queen's view car park, through a wee gap in dyke,
P1000235.JPG
dumgoyne and dumfoyne
alone again contouring round the 2 grassy humps ahead, a bit of up and down, along between electricity pylons to pick up a grassy track that takes me down to whw at carbeth.
P1000244.JPG
Tramp by carbeth huts
P1000248.JPG
and craigallion lochs (the fire is long gone but doff your cap to the oldtimers). then milngavie and train. Satisfaction bagged.
Last edited by dunrig on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dunrig

Re: old kilpatrick to milngavie

Postby Peter913 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:25 pm

Nice report there thats a fair walk for a local i was up ben vorlich loch lomond this same day images to follow

Well done on this epic trek

Peter
Peter913
Mountaineer

Corbetts:1

Postby hillwalker02 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:57 pm

Enjoyed your report on the Kilpatricks,used to be a member of two angling clubs which had access to these waters some years ago and spent lots of time roaming the area which brought back good memories.
Can be a pretty wild place at the best of times.
The views on the road down from Loch Humphrey are amazing,especially when in the dark.

Hillwalker02..
hillwalker02
Mountain Walker

Postby adamg » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:23 pm

Just stumbled upon this report by chance, great route! I've done lots of variations between the different lochs and hills between the Overtoun and Auchineden estates but not this particular way. Really like the idea of the Dumbarton to Drymen walk, having done all the sections seperately I can imagine how it would go together to be a really memorable long day in the hills!
adamg
Rambler

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland