walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A pleasant day out either side of Loch Cuaich.

A pleasant day out either side of Loch Cuaich.

Postby gaffr » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:21 am

Route description: Meall Chuaich, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: Meall Chuaich

Fionas included on this walk: Creag Ruadh (Dalwhinnie)

Date walked: 05/03/2012

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had never visited the Graham, Creag Ruadh, a short easy approach walk in from the noisy A9 following the concrete canal. Had also not been to the higher summit of Meall Cuaich on a day without cloud cover and snow. Monday was windless and clear so I was looking forward to a pleasant day out in the hills.
1 Cuaich from the Graham Creag Ruadh HPIM5792.jpg
I had, after descending from Ruadh, intended to reach Cuaich from the slopes above the end of Loch Cuaich but after a bit of stumbling through the steepish terrain...deep heather and hidden boulders... down to the end of the loch I changed my plan and follow the loch back to the normal path up to Cuaich.
2 estate hut for Grouse beaters lunch maybe HPIM5794.jpg
Looks like a lot goes on in nthis area....boathouse for fishing on the loch?, Grouse area and lots of hydro power activity....water tunnels/pipes through from the Gaick loch?
3Not good attire when no snow around HPIM5796.jpg
Easy prey for hungry predators maybe.
4 Cuaich top out towards the cairngorms HPIM5798.jpg
Eastwards out towards the Cairngorms away into the distance.
5 Cuaich looking out westwards to the bealach dubh HPIM5802.jpg
Westwards out towards the bealach Dubh and the Alders.
6 Lower down on Cuaich HPIM5803.jpg
Looks as if the muir burn is a few weeks earlier this year.A couple of the Drumochter Hills, the Alders and those on the other side of the bealach dubh.
Cuaich seems to be a fine viewing platform for several hill areas.....I guess that someone with a better camera/lens would get good results up here. Me I have a wee point and shoot camera.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland