walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Law & Ben Cleuch

The Law & Ben Cleuch

Postby BoyVertiginous » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:49 pm

Route description: Ben Cleuch circular

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Cleuch

Donalds included on this walk: Ben Cleuch

Date walked: 19/02/2012

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Ascent: 712m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With, a not entirely unexpected, 3-4 hours of freedom after dropping the kids of with my mother and sisters for lunch and ice skating at the local rink, my brother-in-law and I headed for the Ochil Hills. It was a cold but bright, pleasant day and what snow there had been appeared to have pretty much thawed. We were quickly at Tillicoultry and, pausing only for a change of footwear, made haste for the hills.

Following the steep and narrow track up Tillicoultry Glen, the hill was fairly busy. It was mid-afternoon and everyone else seemed to be on the way down. We made good time and were soon crossing the burn at the foot of The Law, the descent towards the burn a welcome relief from the steep start and time enough to gather breath for the stiff trudge up The Law. It was still warm and a few people on the way down had remarked on how could it was up top, so we marched on safe in the knowledge that we had gear in the bag should we need it.

It's a testing wee hill and it dawned on me on the way up that I'd only ever previously come down The Law in the past...I wasn't quite at the stage of wishing that were the case today but it didn't help! Nearing the summit the wind got up so jackets were donned and we completed the final push to the top of The Law.

We opted to stop for coffee and cake, sheltering on the other side of the fence/summit from the stiff wind and taking in the clear views East and South along the Forth to Berwick Law.

There was a bit more cloud around to the North and West.

Re-fuelled, we got going again quickly for the short wander over to Ben Cleuch. Tempting though it was to take in any number of alternative routes back, that would have been a bit selfish, and decided to eschew Andrew Gannel, Skythorn, King's Seat et al, in favour of Ben Ever and Silver Glen and a wander through the woods between Alva and Tillicoultry.

So, nice little bonus there and an opportunity to stretch the legs a bit more before a planned bike / hike a fortnight later (of which more later).

As many have attested to on here, the Ochils are a great place to roam and are often taken for granted by those who live in their shadow...myself included. I've been up there 3 times in the last 12 months...after a 15-20 year break!...and shall be back soon.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by BoyVertiginous on Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Re: The Law & Ben Cleuch

Postby alfie » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:46 pm

great report !av been up ochils loads lately!love them !so many different hills and routes!cant get enough!great pics too :D
alfie
Munro compleatist

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Avocetboy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:42 am

Nice One, BV....I look forward to a guided tour in June!!
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby BoyVertiginous » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:54 am

alfie wrote:great report !av been up ochils loads lately!love them !so many different hills and routes!cant get enough!great pics too :D

Thanks, alfie. The views are so good, my pics don't really do them justice. Few shaky ones...I'm blaming the wind.

avocetboy wrote:Nice One, BV....I look forward to a guided tour in June!!

8) think it's May, AB. Plenty time to make a plan. It'll be small (albeit, perfectly formed) potatoes in comparison to Coigach.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Postby Sarah86 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:03 pm

It is a good walk to Ben Cleuch, itching to get up there again myself. I am interested in the route you came back. The last time I was up we came down Ben Ever and down the slopes of The Nebit, which I didn't enjoy much because of the path with all the stones. Was the path you came down straight forward enough with no chances of getting lost?!
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby BoyVertiginous » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:27 pm

Sarah86 wrote:It is a good walk to Ben Cleuch, itching to get up there again myself. I am interested in the route you came back. The last time I was up we came down Ben Ever and down the slopes of The Nebit, which I didn't enjoy much because of the path with all the stones. Was the path you came down straight forward enough with no chances of getting lost?!

Hi Sarah86
I was struggling to locate the route out when I looked back at the map for this report but we came down off Cleuch towards Ben Ever, traversing around the back of Ever on a decent narrow sheep / deer track. The next part's a bit hazy but we came out via Silver Glen so must have skirted around Rough Knowes and around and down the lower slopes of Wood Hill, I guess. I think this is where I took a flier, slipping and falling flat on my back on, luckily, just damp grass. Did a text book roll on to all fours but continued to slide in this position. Don't let that put you off, it was a classic case of switching off with the finish in sight. After that we were on to the wide, well-made track that led us down and through the woods (passing several car parking spots, any of which would be a good start/end-point).

I guess if you started from Silver Glen you'd pick this route up fairly easily and I imagine it's slightly less of a leg-burner than The Law ascent.

Hope this helps...have fun.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Postby Sarah86 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:10 pm

Thanks for that it does help. I had hoped to come down the side of wood hill which it sounds like you did or could get to on your walk. To be honest I am a bit new to all this and had no idea rough knowes existed as on my map it is just down as wood hill. We would probably choose that route down and head up via the Andrew Gannel hills as this wasn't too bad last time, need to avoid the law both ways as I feel it could be a bit much for my dog! I have been there with the falling lol
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby Jockstar » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:14 pm

Myself and Suhowfar did this route when we went on a MCOFS map and compass and GPS course last year and did this walk starting by going from the public car park at ALVA through the bottom of Wood hill to then join the road which takes you up and past The Nebit and onto Ever before traversing round to the top of Ben Cleuch and then down over The Law and following the path till you come out at the Pub in Tillicoultry.The latter part of the walk had been changed due to rockfalls but didn't spoli it. I prefer doing it that way than going up The Law first as that is more than a pipe opener!! :lol: Well worth going on one of these courses if you are looking to do hill walking - it could save your life! :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Graeme D » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:00 pm

Aye, the Ochils are a cracking wee range! I took in a nice little 4 hour route to the north east of this just the other night. Quite special to be up there in the dark above the bright lights of the Forth Valley towns and be totally alone! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland