walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob a'Choin (Bike-Hike from Stronachlachar)

Stob a'Choin (Bike-Hike from Stronachlachar)

Postby BoyVertiginous » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:12 pm

Route description: Stob a' Choin, from Inverlochlarig

Corbetts included on this walk: Stob a' Choin

Date walked: 04/03/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 18.2 km

Ascent: 869m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another local outdoor activity group get-together, with the plan of cycling from Stronachlachar around Loch Katrine, through Glengyle to the Allt a'Choin burn that runs into the loch alongside the Clan Gregor burial site before following the route of the burn into the hill and ascending Stob a'Choin.

We were a party of 5 and a it was a pleasant drive up from the central belt, with the early morning mist lifting to reveal the beauty of the area. We were soon on the pier at Stronachlachar and a quick transition from van to bike (does that make it a triathlon?!). We were on our way following the well-maintained tarmac cycle way around the loch and it wasn't long before we were passing Portnellan at the base of Meall na Boineide, winding our way towards the burn where we'd secure the bikes to the new deer fence, opposite the Clan Gregor cemetery.

Just off this peninsula there was a little outcrop, not much bigger than a football, and we spotted a Dipper....eh...dipping, just a little too far off for a picture.

Up and over the fence, it's a steep start, there's been a lot of fencing and tree-planting work on here recently and there's a bit of a track but it's very wet underfoot. It'd been a bit damp on the cycle in but the sky was brightening and we were accompanied all the way up this first section by the noise from the waters of Allt a'Choin plummeting down the hillside.

Once the ground levelled-out a bit, it was still very boggy / marshy. Fortunately, we were all kitted out in winter footwear and gaiters, which kept us dry as we picked our way through the marsh. On entering the valley, it had been the intention to walk through the valley floor to the lochan at the far end and ascend from the NW but, the going was so wet we opted to cross the burn here and follow the contours around Creah luchair and do the hill from the South, directly between Meall Reamhar and Stob a'Choin. Upon crossing the burn, which involved scaling another deer fence and wading through the burn (ankle deep), we opted to stop for a quick refreshment. There were some fresh otter droppings around here but did not see the otter on the way up or back. It was warming-up nicely out and the skies clearing.

It was a nice spot to stop with good views opening up behind...

...and ahead (Stob a'Choin to the left of the picture)

It was getting unseasonally warm by now and the layers were coming off. Skirting around Creach luchair, gaining height all the while, one of our number spotted a young female adder finding cover. It was a good spot as she was very small and coiled herself away nicely into a small burrow. Difficult to get a pic because of the undergrowth (and the fear of a larger relative nearby) this is the best we could do...
...the coiled shape in the centre of the pic is the snake.

A bit further on we became aware of a large head of deer on the move ahead of us and they basically went up and over Stob a'Choin following the same route we had in mind.

We stopped for another drink about two-thirds of the way up. It was like the walking wounded, one recovering from an ankle break (courtesy of the Cairngorms), another from knee ligament damage (domestic) and my mate had developed a knee problem on the way up. I was feeling fine but conscious of the fact that on another day it could be me. The elder statesman of our group was, at 75, also in fine fettle (I hope I'm still on the hills at that age). Knee ligament man decided to call it a day at this point, it was his first walk out since his injury and didn't want to push it so 5 became 4 for the final push. It became increasingly snowy underfoot but not sufficient for crampons and the going remained good, if steep.

As planned, we headed directly between Meall Reamhar and Stob a'Choin where we saw two others come from the summit of Stob a'Choin and start up Meall Ramhar (having come up from Inverlochlarig).

We were upon the final section to the summit and, again, the ground did not suggest crampons and we were able to push on by kicking in. On the very last stretch we had to traverse slightly and looking down I was slightly unnerved and probably would have felt safer with crampons on. I reached around for my ice axe and used the butt of the handle to give me another point of contact. And that was that, summiting just before 1pm.
Sore knee and broken ankle also made it

We took our time up here to fuel up and admire the views. We could see the River Forth and the refinery at Grangemouth beyond Ben Vorlich and Stuc a'Chroin.

Clear views of the hills around Loch Lomond and near views to the North of An Casteill, Ben More, TuilleachanImage

I was also taken by a couple of watery/icy creations on the summit of Sob a'Choin...

It looked like there might be some weather heading our way from the North and we decided to head down, following the same route back. Once we lost altitude it was very warm indeed, like a Summer's day (a Scottish Summer at least) so much so that the hill looked very different to the one we'd started upon in the morning with most of the snow apparently having thawed by the time we reached the valley floor again.

The legs were a bit stiffer on the bike out but soon loosened off and we were back in the Car Park in, what seemed like, no time. There are so many other hills around this are that could be accessed in a similar way, time to get the thinking cap on and get back out there. Had I been doing this one off my own back, I'd have probably thrown in a couple more tops at least but, it was a good day out in excellent weather and I shall probably return soon to tackle a few more of the hills around this loch.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by BoyVertiginous on Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Re: Stob a'Choin (Bike-Hike from Stronachlachar)

Postby Avocetboy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:26 pm

Some cracking pictures, BV, apart from the "so called" adder!! Looks like an excellent hike
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Re: Stob a'Choin (Bike-Hike from Stronachlachar)

Postby Lastofthesummerwine » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:50 pm

Always nice to combine bikes and walking. Nice to come off the hill and get a seat for the last few miles. Nice photos. Not an area I am familiar with only done Ben Venue a few years back.
Lastofthesummerwine
Mountain Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland