walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Donich a cracker on a Sunday(Better than Eastenders!)

Ben Donich a cracker on a Sunday(Better than Eastenders!)

Postby Jabber » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:42 pm

Route description: Ben Donich, via Rest and Be Thankful

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Donich

Date walked: 03/03/2012

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 575m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It's been a while since I've been able to get out, due to work etc. Enough it was time to go hillside again. Dragged the family with me and Ben Donich was the talk.
start=still cold.JPG
Having been up Beinn an Lochain( Cracker of a Corbett) almost a year previously I'd always told myself I was going back to the Rest on be Thankful for a look at Donich. By the time the afternoon was over I wasn't disappointed.
We all arrived just before one and soon moved as the wind was quite bitter.
Happy chap.JPG

The climb as per all my family occasions never go smoothly and today it was the dogs turn to jump into a rather deep hole in the ground...Terriers and small holes which prompted a dog rescue of sorts.
Stuck down a hole.JPG
Rabbit hunt gone wrong!
2 DOWN A HOLE.JPG
OOer now he's stuck!
The track on the climb was very good indeed at least to the point where a small downward scramble presented itself.
sTRANGE fISSURES NEAR SUMMIT.JPG
At this point we had been sheltered from the wind however once over these quite impressive crags along with the hail showers it arrived and almost took my breath away and hey ho the track disappeared in the snow. 8) This then prompted some daft running efforts across the snow as the wind dug into my skull.
LEG IT ACROSS.JPG
The summit was reached within 2 hours of leaving the car park and the views across the Arrochar alps are tremendous as a re the views all the way to Arran and it's magical Corbetts across Loch Goil.
Ben on the trig.JPG
I thought overall this was a very good walk indeed and an easy walk to get back into my hill climbing, good job too as we were planning An Caisteal a few days later.(That report to come!) A most recommended walk only 10 minutes from Arrochar by car It's gotta beat Sunday in front of the box!
Loch Goil.JPG
Can you spot the Goatfell?
I've got my eyes on Beinn Luibean and a visit back to Beinn an Lochain and the Cobbler are on this year sometime.. Good to be back :)
Ben Ime Ben Luibean.JPG
Ben Luibean/Ben Ime
Ben Narnain Cobbler.JPG
Beinn Narnain/Cobbler
Jabber
Mountaineer

Munros:139   Corbetts:13
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Ben Donich a cracker on a Sunday(Better than Eastenders!

Postby starrynights » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:43 pm

Far far better than Eastenders, yuk :sick: ( .... my older brother watches it!!! It's the only reason I don't think he should consider running for PM!!) Looks like you had a great day out with the family. :)
starrynights
Munro compleatist

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:08 pm

Great day for it for the views. I'd go as far to suggest Ben Donich in a thunder storm would still be better than Eastenders :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby starrynights » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:12 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Great day for it for the views. I'd go as far to suggest Ben Donich in a thunder storm would still be better than Eastenders :D

:thumbup: phew, I'm not the only one. :D ..... went out on a limb with my anti EE confession!!!
starrynights
Munro compleatist

Postby Jabber » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:34 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Great day for it for the views. I'd go as far to suggest Ben Donich in a thunder storm would still be better than Eastenders :D

starrynights wrote:Far far better than Eastenders, yuk :sick: ( .... my older brother watches it!!! It's the only reason I don't think he should consider running for PM!!) Looks like you had a great day out with the family. :)

:thumbup: Like it!
Jabber
Mountaineer

Postby dodec » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:18 pm

"Ben Donich a cracker on a Sunday(Better than Eastenders!"

Easy to say when you have IPlayer ....go on deny you didn't get back and wallow in it's self pity :wink:

Absolutely spot on, looked like a cracking day. If only all Sundays involved views like that.
dodec
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:23
Wainwrights:6   

Postby Jabber » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:22 pm

Ok I confess Iplayer does mean I can subject the family to some east end love..... :(
Jabber
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland