our_route.gpx Open full screen NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts
It was Saturday morning and we left from Banchory after spending an entertaining and fun evening with my Mum . In no time at all we arrived in Aboyne picked up a few extra nibbles and a bottle of water (I had forgotten my normal water bottle), and we were next driving up through Ballater then into Glen Muick.
- Looking southwest along the loch with Broad Cairn appearing in the distance just below the cloud line.
- Looking back along the loch northeast.
- Now appearing, what I have always referred to as the zig-zag track leading up onto high ground approaching Sandy Hillock.
- I love the sound of running water when I am in the outdoors :)
- Valerie on the zig-zags!
- Glas-allt-Shiel nestles below on the opposite side of the loch. Dark Lochnagar shrouded in cloud hides in the clouds above.
- Looking across the boggy moor of the Black Burn beyond which lies Glen Clova.
- On the southeast facing rise of Broad Cairn after passing Sandy's Hut (now an animal shelter and pen). I know I have sheltered there in year's gone by, but it was more of a hut/bothy then? Wonder what kind of beasts get the priviledge of a summer stay up here in 2012?
- The terrain changes as that magic Munro level is met! :)
- Broad Cairn.....now cold, windy and with nowhere to get shelter! :)
- So off we go marching on towards Cairn Bannoch.
- Oooh ... starting to feel the need for sustinance......
- Tracing our steps back we are graced by the company of the locals.
- On Sandy's seat.
- A view northwest over Corrie Chash...heading for the lighting path.
- Entering the forest around Glas-allt-Shiel.
- The Boat House, always a welcome point at the end of the loch after the slog along the track.....a beautiful spot from which to admire Loch Muick and take in its splendour before heading home.