walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

BC hits her 100th in the Monadhliath

BC hits her 100th in the Monadhliath

by basscadet » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:48 pm

Route description: Monadh Liath Munros: Càrn Dearg, Càrn Sgulain & A' Chailleach

Munros included on this walk: A' Chailleach (Monadhliath), Càrn Dearg (Monadhliath), Càrn Sgulain

Date walked: 10/03/2012

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 36.05 km

Ascent: 2572m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: BC hits her 100th in the Monadhliath

Postby basscadet » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:08 pm

Och if you are using public transport, the camping and longer routes are inevitable really.. Takes you half a day to get anywhere, so if you are going to make the effort (and expense) of the journey, you might as well do a few tops to make it worthwhile.. :D
I think you have to be out there for 24 hours before you get the hills 'vibe' anyways...
I've been getting away more than usual the past wee while, as Sainsbury's have had an offer on that you can go anywhere in Scotland for £19 on the train.. Even I can afford that on an NHS admin workers salary :lol: Its been really awesome.. I just have one more train journey planned to Arrochar at the end of the month though as I also have my driving test on the 29th, so hopefully after that I'll be on the road.. Yaay!

I wouldnt of liked to do this in a whiteout.. respect to you sir! *tips imaginary hat*
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Alan S » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:57 pm

Well done on your 100th munro 8)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby blanchie » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:16 am

That's a great story, a compelling wee adventure. Well done!
blanchie
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:73
Wainwrights:115   

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:13 am

edited :D
Last edited by Caberfeidh on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:18 am

basscadet wrote:[ En route I noticed a 'no camping' sign painted on a gate next to a cattle grid. Not very welcoming! and by now I was pretty much committed to camping anyway.

A car came along the road, and aware that I looked very much like a camper, and assuming it would be just estate traffic at that time of night, I slipped through a gate and hid in some woods until it passed. Bad luck for me, it was a truck with a search light and dogs :shock: The dogs knew I was there and barked at the fence. The search light was shone into the forest and I was very still hoping I wouldn't be seen. It seemed an age until it moved on.
It wasn't far to the car park, and I found a camping spot well out of sight of the road, but unfortunately not very sheltered from the wind that whistled down the glen. The car/dogs/searchlight passed 3 times more. I didn't know what they were looking for

They were shooting - its called "lamping" - the animals' eyes reflect the torchlight and the animal is shot, be it fox, deer, whatever. That's why you were warned not to go there. You were lucky not to be shot. If you see signs saying "Military Firing Range - No Entry" please don't make the same mistake.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby basscadet » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:11 pm

Well the sign said no camping, not no entry, or any warnings about the possibility of getting shot..
I didn't hear any shots that night, so the thought didn't even cross my mind..
Fortunately firing ranges have to have signs up, so are easier to avoid than random peeps seemingly driving about the countryside, shooting at anything that moves :lol:
Nice to know what it was all about though thanks :thumbup:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Graeme D » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:08 pm

Quite the adventure! Makes my 100th seem like a walk in the park! Well done on the century ...... and not getting "lamped"! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Scotjamie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:02 pm

tremendous story - many thanks for that young boghoppper
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Border Yellerbelly » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:13 pm

That's quite an adventure for your 100th. Congratulations, the half way point is clearly in view for you now. :D
Border Yellerbelly
Mountaineer

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:2   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland