walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Winter's Wander in the Pentlands Revisited

A Winter's Wander in the Pentlands Revisited

Postby Sabbathstevie » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:08 pm

Route description: West Kip, East Kip and Scald Law from Threipmuir

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Scald Law

Date walked: 12/03/2012

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 607m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

More of an update than a TR proper - I had another winter jaunt into Pentlands in order to continue “hill training” for when I have the time (and more importantly, money to afford the fuel!) to get out to some munro’s.

I stuck to almost the same route as last time, though I was far more relaxed in pace this time, not feeling that I had to prove myself to the WH estimated times. Additionally, I wasn’t alone this time – my endless and enthusiastic hill-chat over pints of IPA in my local had rubbed off on one of my oldest friends, Andrew, who decided to accompany me into the Pentlands to see if this hill walking lark was for him. Despite the uninspiring (but thankfully dry) weather conditions, it turned out that it was! :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We set off from the Threipmuir Reservoir car park at around 14:30, relatively busy even this late into a fairly dull and grey Saturday.

Kips and Scald.jpg

I remembered the painful lung-burning effect that taking the ascent of West Kip too fast had last time on my ex-smoker airways and made a conscious effort to take a far more measured plod up it’s grassy slopes, arriving happily at the top with a fair amount of air still left in me. Learning, always learning!

The views didn’t quite live up to those I had seen back in January – the blue skies and dusting of snow back then were far more atmospheric!

Kip Path.jpg
March
spot the difference!
Back in Jan.jpg
January

After descending from East Kip, we decided on a whim to take the steeper path up to the right and ascend South Black Hill, before crossing back over to the Scald Law summit via the “ridge” (using the term loosely). This was worth the extra effort, rewarding us with great views to the south and a look at it’s strange Dragon’s nest cairn (for those of you who, like myself, play far too much of Skyrim).

Side of South Black Hill.jpg
Looking South

It’s a curious point but no matter where I go in the Pentlands, Carnethy hill always appears to be higher than Scald Law! Even when standing at the summit of Scald Law, the highest point in the Pentlands, Carnethy hill appears to be higher! Anyone else feel like this? :o

After the pleasant walk out through Green Cleugh, we arrived back at the car just as darkness began to fall.

My attention now inevitably turns toward the Easter holiday weekend on the horizon, and where the luxury of a whole day’s walking may be taken. Presumably we all do likewise at Easter, so where are the best hills for some spring walking? :?
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Munros:66   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:10

Re: A Winter's Wander in the Pentlands Revisited

Postby laconic surf » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:17 pm

Stevie, I perhaps passed you on my way back to Thieves Road on saturday :D (see my TR)
When I reached the top of Scald Law, I had to check my map to make sure I was on the right hill, as Carnethy looked higher!
Good luck with the training, perhaps we could share a trip north at some point as we're both in the Lothian area?
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby Sabbathstevie » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:27 pm

Laconic Surf - good TR and an interesting route! Atop the kips, we we're admiring East Cairn Hill (as I assume it to be, from your report) and it's long summit with a steepish drop to the north. One for another time perhaps! :lol: I'm quite iontrigued by exploring more of the Pentlands which lie further from the city.
Sabbathstevie
Hill Bagger

Munros:66   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:10

Postby morag1 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:04 pm

Nice to see you got to the Pentlands again Stevie, and glad your pal enjoyed it as well :D

I agree with you about Carnethy :lol: To be honest i have always thought a lot of the hills are higher than Scald Law :shh:
morag1

Postby ChrisW » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:11 am

A fine wee report on a beautiful area Stevie, glad you found a kindred spirit........... maybe he will split the fuel costs to take to the big uns at Easter :wink: :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland