walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gone with the Wind on Na Gruagaichean

Gone with the Wind on Na Gruagaichean

Postby kevsbald » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:58 pm

Munros included on this walk: Na Gruagaichean

Date walked: 21/09/2009

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 8 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Michelle (a regular poster on WHighlands) from the US of A was over here on her travels and we had planned to meet up and have an attempt at Na Gruagaichean, an appropriately named hill for the occasion - 'the maiden'. We both met up at the Mamore Lodge hotel and paid the £3 fee to park at 200m elevation but I'd have paid a bit more for a smile from the staff. At least the collie dog looked happy. Fetch! No matter, we decided it was waterproofs on from the word go as the forecast was rather miserable and it wasn't long before we were heading along the Land Rover track, chatting away and generally getting to know a bit about each other. I had read in the paper that morning about a psychic dwarf escaping and the headline proclaimed "Small medium at large!" Michelle didn't believe me.

Bad jokes aside, we began our ascent not long after the bridge across the cascading torrent and it was fairly unpleasant splunging until we levelled off a bit.
IMG_3033.JPG
Soaked - part 1
Time for a drink and make sure all was okay with the pace. Well, we didn't have much of a view after about 600m and I don't think I've ever known a hill to have so many "I think we're almost there" moments - pretty sure Michelle was ready to commit Kevicide at one point.
IMG_3034.JPG
Soaked and happy
However, as we got higher, the hill narrowed to a fine arete and in clear conditions, I'm sure it would be quite spectacular. I felt a bit sorry for Michelle that she had such keech weather as all we could see from this purportedly fine view point was rain, drizzle and precipitation.
IMG_3035.JPG
Soaked and happy - part 2
However, we battled on and finally reached our objective with subsequent glory shots.
IMG_3036.JPG
Michelle on the summit
IMG_3037.JPG
Traditional Scottish hill-walking summit pose
A small change of kleider was needed as we were getting a little weet. I was hungered and took out my saag masala curry - Michelle could be exonerated from not knowing about my lunch du jour competition so I couldn't really fair and square say that I had won that particular prize. The wind had truly whipped up by this time and before I knew it my Asda bag was off like a shot and frankly my dears, I could give a damn as my non-deliberate attempt at environmental contamination resulted in a wee swearie word. Oops.

We decided not to carry on to Binnein Mor (maybe next year?) and started our descent back down. Good, if not slippery progress was made and it wasn't long before we startled ptarmigan and the omnipresent frog. Once back on the land rover track, we congratulated ourselves with a good M-point in horrendous conditions and vowed to have a wee drink before we went. Shep was waiting back at the hotel and we sat and had a wee drink in front of a fireplace (not enough coal for my liking - another environmental faux-pas!) like old friends. It was the first excursion with Michelle and although the weather was terrible, the company was very pleasant. Hope it won't be the last trip, Michelle and look forward to seeing you next year. :)
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Gone with the Wind on Na Gruagaichean

Postby monty » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:23 pm

Hi Kev and Michelle,
Well, we just can't keep you away from those mamores eh Kev? No matter what the weather :lol: :lol: Did you meet the dwarf on your travels? :shock: I hope you took it easy on Michelle? I just remember you accelerating away from me up the slope below Mullach nan Coirean tuggin heather as you went with me cursing behind you :lol: :lol: (poor heather).

I hope you enjoyed the walk Michelle. The weather was poor but at least you had Kev's banter to keep you going. :D
monty

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:08 am

Liked the small medium at large :lol: Great report in spite of the weather - you are right, Na Gruagaichean has a fine ridge. No problems going back to the Mamores - they must have some of the best ridgewalking in Scotland. Cold curry for lunch? - we'll look out for a rogue Asda bag when next in the area.

It seems Michelle's trip to Scotland came a week too late :(
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby kevsbald » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:25 am

Yes, it seemed that Tesco were recruiting said dwarf - well, every little helps.
Sincerely hope that Michelle's week improves but she seemed perky enough even though the poor lass was drookit.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Postby Graeme D » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:12 pm

Excellent (apart from the keech weather that is)! Look on the bright side Kev - at least there was no falling in cow faeces incident (and with Michelle there to laugh at you too!).

Must try the psychic dwarf gag at work tomorrow. Might actually try it on some of the kids, see if they get it. :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby IainG » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:43 pm

What a sadist!!! I would not subject any visitor to The Mamore Lodge, never mind that hill from that direction!!! I hope that hasn't put Michelle off a) Scottish hostelries b) The Munros :D :D :D

I found that ascent an absolutely brutal day out. We done it in the winter after spending a night in the campervan in the carpark of The Mamore Lodge, and we had to quit and do BM another day. Not the fondest of memories, I can look back and smile now but that was certainly not in my top 10, in fact I don't think it was in my top 280! :lol: :lol:
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby MonkeysMonacle » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:42 pm

I remember this as relentless and grim,and that was only the Bar at Mamore Lodge :lol:
MonkeysMonacle

Munros:282   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Postby kevsbald » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:50 pm

Fit is it with the folk at Mamore Lodge?
I asked Michelle on more than one occasion if she was okay and took no perverse pleasure in her being soaked. A true optimist.

Self-flagellation? Ye cannae beat it.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Postby Michelle » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:03 am

I've been home for two days, and I do believe I've nearly dried off now! Luckily I've spent enough time in Scotland to have developed a sense of humor about the weather :D

Kev your banter surely kept the spirits up; it was a great day out. I look forward to next time. Here's a pic of the little friend we met along the way:

Frog.JPG
The Omipresent Froggie
Michelle
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:14

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland