walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

I get home with a little help from my friends!

I get home with a little help from my friends!

by jonny616 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:47 am

Route description: Creag Mhòr and Beinn Heasgarnich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Heasgarnich, Creag Mhòr (Glen Lochay)

Date walked: 11/03/2012

Time taken: 11.5 hours

Distance: 25.4 km

Ascent: 1584m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: I get home with a little help from my friends!

Postby jonny616 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:05 pm

dogplodder wrote:That was a horrible experience and shows how much bogs have to be respected. :shock: So glad you were with strong friends who could prise you out again!

Did you have your good camera with you and did it survive the mud bath?

Strong friends indeed. Only had my compact camera with me as it was a damp day, but it survived. Not sure that my slr would have though!
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby skuk007 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:51 pm

Oh that's a bit scary Jonny, I tend to walk solo most of the time so will definitely be more aware of those bogs in future.
Don't know what I'd do if I got stuck and had no signal!

Reports like this will certainly come to mind next time my route is blocked with a boggy patch.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby basscadet » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:17 am

I think bogs are fine once you learn the difference between the look of semi solid peat and the liquid stuff.. Walking poles are good testers if you are unsure as well.. :)
When I look at the photo, it is clear to me that that peat is deep and liquid, I almost cant believe anyone could think that that patch was firm enough to stand on :o But thats what comes from getting a skelped erse too many times for ruining school shoes playing in the bogs as a wee toot I spose.. :lol:
I can only imagne that tiredness and desperation were a major factor in this.. Silly decisions made when tired are the walkers worst enemy, and we are all make them sometimes. I'm just glad everything worked out OK. :D

Also reminds me that we used to use peat as fake tan when i was a teenager - way better than the orange dayglo stuff that was about at the time.. steep yourself in 2 bucketsfull for half an hour then shower.. simples :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby jonny616 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:11 am

[quote="basscadet"]
When I look at the photo, it is clear to me that that peat is deep and liquid, I almost cant believe anyone could think that that patch was firm enough to stand on :o
I can only imagne that tiredness and desperation were a major factor in this.. Silly decisions made when tired are the walkers worst enemy, and we are all make them sometimes. I'm just glad everything worked out OK. :D

I new it was deep & liquid, but as i said in the report 5 people had made the jump at various points. I failed to make the jump.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby walkertxsrngr » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:11 am

I am feeling so inspired now after seeing you all guys. Really, hats up to you all. Also thanks for sharing those cool snaps.
walkertxsrngr
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:20 pm

I found these two hills tough enough when I did them a few years back, but I clealry had it easy compared to you :shock: I can only imagine how you must have been feeling as you sank in that bog. So glad you had people around to help you out :D Your unfortunate experience will act as a cautionary tale to me to be careful where I step when the bog is about.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby b-illie » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:33 am

Glad this ended well! But - how did you get out exactly? I guess no one had a ladder handy nor do I guess was a forest close that could have provided some raw material in the form of branches... Also, is the physics of bogs indeed that that you sink in more the more you move? A truly gruesome thought!
b-illie
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby KeithS » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:20 pm

Wow, that looks pretty scary.

I got stuck in a bog at the remote end of Loch Morar on my coast to coast walk some time ago. I was very much on my own but managed to extricate myself after just a couple of minutes, I was quite worried then so you must have been fairly concerned after 40 minutes, glad you got out ok.

These two Munros are still on my 'to do' list. I was hoping to have them as an easyish day sometime, I might have to rethink after reading your report, and certainly save it for a dryish day.

Well done for a happy ending and a good report.

Keith
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby jonny616 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:21 am

b-illie wrote:Glad this ended well! But - how did you get out exactly? I guess no one had a ladder handy nor do I guess was a forest close that could have provided some raw material in the form of branches... Also, is the physics of bogs indeed that that you sink in more the more you move? A truly gruesome thought!

In the end up we laid a large survival bag behind me & i could reach back two of my friends could just grab my hands. It then took a huge effort by them to pull me out over the bag
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby Meatball » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:45 pm

It lived up to expectations today in the rain and clag!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:49
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland