walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tommy, Toots first Munro !

Tommy, Toots first Munro !

Postby tomyboy73 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:23 am

Route description: Beinn Bhuidhe, via Glen Fyne

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 11/03/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 947m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Why was I doing Beinn Bhuide again ? I was asked. Few people do it once never mind twice, but i`ve always been a glutton for punishment. I had asked my mate Jim if he fancied a walk on sunday, thinking an easy wee corbett or something when he said "Av no done that wan oot it Loch Fyne, you fancy doin that one with me?" I really enjoyed it the first time i did it and was happy to go along with him, and we were joined by another mate from work ,also Tommy and his sister`s jack russell, Toots ! As Jim had a five mile run in the morning with his club, a late start was on the cards, which suited Tommy as he`d been at a wedding the night before and was a little bit rougher than he should have been for a big hike like this, Toots was also a bit ruff ! :roll: We didn`t get to the car park till just after one and once suited and booted we made the bottom of the hill dead on 3. With sunset due around 6.20pm , i knew we had a mission on our hands.
p1140324-art-1.jpg
nice

DSCF2023.JPG
moove along

Last time i did this i cycled the 4 and a half mile road in, but this time we walked, and walked and walked. It wasn`t too bad a day, the rain was still off and the sky was cloudy with the odd bit of optimistic blue peeking out here and there.
DSCF2025.JPG
eagle`s fall

As we approached the gate were the bikes are to be ditched, for those lucky enough to bring one, i jumped in excitement , shouting "Jim,Jim,Jim" and pointing like a madman to the sky as an eagle(or something similar) glided over above our heads and Jim caught a few pics, before i remembered i had brought my new camera , doh! Needless to say, we kept a much closer eye on Toots :lol:
DSCF2027.JPG
eagle ?

We walked on and had a wee rest, had a quick munch, got gaitered up and jumped the fence on the near side of the waterfall(which is just by the abondoned house for those unfamiliar with the walk) and bounded up the path like spring lambs at easter............not.
dscf2034-art-1.jpg
glen lui

DSCF2030.JPG
up we go

The path was muddy and slippery, but the rain was still off and we made our way up along the gorge with Toots running in and out between our legs. Before long i was stripping down to my tshirt as it was quite clammy and the jacket was stuffed in the bag again. (There really should be a wee bunker somewhere halfway up a mountain were you can pick up a jacket and ditch it again on the way back down) I had explained to the guys that there was one wee dodgy scrambly bit were we would possibly have to carry Toots and we got there pretty quick.
P1140345-1.JPG
scramble

The scramble is pretty simple but traversing with a dog and a hangover couldn`t have been that easy for Tommy, but he handled it well and passed the pooch up onto me. Jim meanwhile, was snapping away with the camera, taking shots which didn`t make it look so simple !
P1140346-1.JPG
don`t look down !

P1140347-1.JPG
pass the pooch

We were soon up to the corrie where the waterfalls all meet and didn`t waste any time getting up. At this point Tommy declared that he was dying to ask if we were nearly at the top for ages and we informed him we were just about halfway :lol:
P1140350-1.JPG
corrie

The path was now getting steeper and i was feeling it in the legs so i could imagine how the hangover was taking effect and promised a break once over the ridge. When we got over i could see the ridge before the summit ridge disappear behind the cloud and we stopped behind some big rocks and got the kettle on for a brew. The choice was between hot chocolate or ainsley harriots compact chicken cup a soup, the chicken won and it was a great choice.
DSCF2038.JPG
Toots gets a cuddle

Think the kettle`s a good idea, i`m sick of cold tea :( After our soup , we headed towards the ridge in a WNW direction, which i thought was taking me onto what i initially thought was the summit ridge and was scunnered when i saw the real one. The path at this point flits in and out of the grass and it was quite boggy but not as bad as you know where, Johnny :wink: The last time i was up here i was able to follow footsteps in the snow to the path up the ridge , but all there was, was soggy wet grass and we got to the cairn on the summit ridge in time to pick our spirits up. Five more minutes along this ridge, i lied, :shh:
Now that we were exposed to the strong wind, i advised Tommy to put Toots on the lead before she blew away, and i imagined i`d see her flying like a doggy kite on the end of it soon :lol: The ridge was just a tad longer than five minutes but as they couldn`t see anything for cloud they didn`t complain and marched on. We reached the summit at about a quarter to five and stopped just long enough for a couple of pics and headed straight back down again, with a bit of messing around in the small patches of snow near the summit.
P1140370-1.JPG
summit pose

P1140377-1.JPG
help !

The descent itself was a barrel of laughs, at first Jim kept slipping on his arse on numerous occasions, with all fours in the air at times, and then Tommy started showing us his breakdance moves from the previous night and then i myself eventually gave in to the slippy slopes and ended up on my bum a few times too. We descended down the north side of the river as per the WH route and were glad to hit tarmac as the light all but disappeared. When i say glad i don`t think our feet agreed to that an hour or so later. With our head torches lighting up the path for only about two feet in front of us i was dreading another meeting with the demon cows, but with the long hair blocking the heelan coos eyes they weren`t so scary until one trotted across our path We headed back to the car wondering if Toots would ever emerge from under the couch next time she hears "walkies" and complaining that we couldn`t have just brought the car along the road and parked it at the bike park , well me and Tommy moaned , wereas Jim just marched on as usual and even offered to run on and bring the car back for us. Although i would have loved it, i didn`t want to wimp out to the pain which i was now experiencing all the way down my right leg and we could begin to see the glow of streetlights ahead of us. As we settled into the car we hoped that no one, especially cops weren`t walking by in the dark because the oohs and ahhs coming from us would have sounded like a dogging session in the car park We were sore, wet and tired but happy, here`s to the next one, when maybe we`ll get good views again.
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1482440
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Re: Tommy, Toots first Munro !

Postby tomyboy73 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:54 pm

:D
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby jonny616 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:59 pm

Best pictures i've seen of this hill. I've done a few hills twice because my mates want to do them. Good for the soul :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby jogilv16 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:13 am

nice report of our day tommy,wee toots,,weve scared the poor wee dog,and for tommys first munro,think he found it tough but i think it was the night before that done that.thanks for doing it again ,
jogilv16

Munros:203   Corbetts:24
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:39

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:27 am

Brilliant report really enjoyed it!!! As for the hangover I bet that was gone by the time you were back :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby pollyh33 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:43 am

Fantastic Tommy !!!

What an adventure!!! 3 men and a dug and Ainsley Harriott!!! :lol: :lol:

Your photographs are superb, all that flaffing about sure is paying off :thumbup: :thumbup:

Loved this :D :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby 2dalmatians » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:47 pm

Great report there Tommy! I did this hill last summer but I had a bike and the weather was great. Magic feeling on the bike on the way back as its mainly downhill. Especially when you pass the guy who ran past you off the mountain an hour ago. Seeyaaaa!!!!!! Whoosh!!!! 8) I know that scramble bit well too. Ruby our Dalmatian nearly ended up in the gorge as she tried to scoot along the slippery rocks. We opted for the detour up and over the little bump of hill. Congrats to Toots too :lol:
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby quoman » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:26 pm

Hi Tommy,

Thats a big walk wi a hangover i would have been sick :lol: pour wee dug you can just about see the fear in her eye's as she get pasted over.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby tomyboy73 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:11 pm

thanks everyone, glad to report Toots was up and about running around ayr beach on sunday and must confess most of the pics were taken by Jim/Jogilv16 :D
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:31 pm

An amusing and funny report as always tommy.

Not a big fan of late starts myself as you know.

Hope we can get a walk in soon mate.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby tomyboy73 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:47 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:An amusing and funny report as always tommy.

Not a big fan of late starts myself as you know.

Hope we can get a walk in soon mate.

Cheers Wullie, yeah, it`ll be good to join up again soon, p.s i`m goin up the the bookle on friday :-P
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:13 pm

tomyboy73 wrote:
Cheers Wullie, yeah, it`ll be good to join up again soon, p.s i`m goin up the the bookle on friday :-P

Aye,rub it in why dont you :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby tomyboy73 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:12 am

gammy leg walker wrote:
tomyboy73 wrote:

Aye,rub it in why dont you :lol: :lol:

:lol: is this not the kintail weekend ? hope you all have a great time and don`t get too drunk ! :lol:
edit.
i`ve just checked, it`s next week :oops:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Jockstar » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:49 am

Looks like you guys had a bit of everything and love the pictures :D . I wouldn't get my dog up the hill that quickly so full marks to Toots on her 1st Munro :clap: Not sure about the late start as we are a bit slow and the thought of having to get the headlamps on is never good but at least you have the gear. Well done everyone!!! :)
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Del246 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:04 pm

Nice report Tommy and cool pics. I still have this to do so your pics of the scramble are great, as I know what awaits me now. Cheers.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland